Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Type 3 or Type 4

1. Type 3 or Type 4 
    Waddellg Guest
    Hi guys,
    I think I need some therapy or something...
    I've recently thought I'd like to do up a classic and I was thinking Beetle but then a I was looking about and a strange thought entered my head....

The Type 4 (411 /412) (Not Transporter 4) or the type 3 have started to appeal.

I suppose it is because they are different from the norm. Are they're many left though? I like the idea of the varient (estate /wagon), the fastbacks, even the 411/412 saloon has appeal and that the type 4 engine was the basis for the porsche 914. Tuning potential?

On a different note anyone getting this wierd lag when you are trying type on the forum? It is really annoying...

0 0 0

2. Re: Type 3 or Type 4 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    T3 & T4 parts are much more difficult to get than VW Beetle parts.The T3 & T4 bodies rust out much more quickly than the Type 1 Beetle and panel availabilty for T3/4s is limited. T3/4s are now comparitively rare . Much easier to restore a Beetle but be prepared for extensive welding and it's associated costs.
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

3. Re: Type 3 or Type 4 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got 2 type 3's and love them, bought my first in 1989 and have had them on and off ever since. They can be costly but they are also underpriced and can be picked up in decent condition for less than an equivalent type1. parts are not overly expensive, really depends on what sort of car you want to build. If you are looking to build to a show standard and and hoping to search out the rarest of rare nos parts then your search will be a long one and can be expensive. i just paid 200 euro for a year and model specific nos rear view mirror...may seem alot but then i'm sure a new one for my A4 wouldn't be much different. Show cars can cost up to and in excess of 20k. Runners can be kept alive for much much less, depending of course on your own abilities.

Type 4's are a rarer beast and parts are more difficult again to locate.

If you are still after one let me know and i'll try to point you in the right direction.

Si

0 0 0