Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Difficult to say. Methinks the warmer the engine gets the less the issue occurs.

Read Honest John website technical write ups on this topic.

Pal for 500 all incl.to get the job done sounds like a fair price to me.

Good luck

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

0 0 0

2. Arrow Re: Signs of Dmf failure on a Dsg. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Hi guys,

Bit of an update and hopefully a sigh of relief :-)

Phoned my local vw dealer this morning. All I can say very very helpful. Explained my symptoms and got a call back after they had spoke to there tech guy. Basically the noise can be a lazy 1st or 2nd gear. Common on dsgs and nothing to worry about.

Also it could be due an oil a filter change. Or dmf failure.

Im hoping it just a lazy gear. Also its due an oil and filter change in 8k.

They have only ever replaced one dmf on a dsg box and that was a high mileage taxi that had covered around 180k.

They have said if the noise gets worse drop it in for a free check. Or they will check it when they do the dsg service.
    Last edited by rapport25; 25-06-2012 at 09:34 PM.

0 0 0

3. Re: Signs of Dmf failure on a Dsg. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Away at the lakes this week end. 140 miles drive. Parked car put it in Park and the noise is there :-(:-(. Going to give it a try when we go home Monday. But leave it in Drive and see if I can hear the noise. Any help or advise anyone?

0 0 0

4. Re: Signs of Dmf failure on a Dsg. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Not long got home. Italian tune up seems to have worked :-):-):-):-):-). 2hrs solid driving no noise what so ever v happy.

0 0 0

5. Re: Signs of Dmf failure on a Dsg. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys, I have a Touran 19.tdi DSG with 80k on clock and believe the DMF is on the way as sounds like a pan lid rattling at idle in Drive. The car is in Spain and a local mechanic has suggested doing a conversion to the DMF to a solid unit, Has anyone had experience of this upgrade and is it worth doing, The car drives perfectly in other than the rattle every way.
    bb

0 0 0

6. Re: Signs of Dmf failure on a Dsg. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    best to stick with a dmf the way vw designed it, or you risk damage to the gearbox due to vibration.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

7. Re: Signs of Dmf failure on a Dsg. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Z

0 1 0

8. Re: Signs of Dmf failure on a Dsg. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rapport25 View Post
    Hi guys,

Bit of an update and hopefully a sigh of relief :-)

Phoned my local vw dealer this morning. All I can say very very helpful. Explained my symptoms and got a call back after they had spoke to there tech guy. Basically the noise can be a lazy 1st or 2nd gear. Common on dsgs and nothing to worry about.

Also it could be due an oil a filter change. Or dmf failure.

Im hoping it just a lazy gear. Also its due an oil and filter change in 8k.

They have only ever replaced one dmf on a dsg box and that was a high mileage taxi that had covered around 180k.

They have said if the noise gets worse drop it in for a free check. Or they will check it when they do the dsg service.
    They probably don't do many DMFs at your local VW dealer because they charge through the roof for it out of warranty. Plenty of DSG equipped cars suffer DMF failures some as early as 30K but on average between 80 and 140K. Mine was rattling at 136K when I replaced it. The DMF I replaced on my mates 2010 estate (manual g/box and common rail engine) went at 115K with massive shudder on idle and an appalling acceleration also with shudder. At idle it felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. DMF was stuck solid with front plate covering the bolt holes that mounted it to the crank. Had to be cut off.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

9. Re: Signs of Dmf failure on a Dsg. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello m8 mine is doing sane thing did ur car ever get on like brakes were slammed on in traffic and putting dmf cure it

0 0 0

10. Re: Signs of Dmf failure on a Dsg. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polmccpassat View Post
    Hello m8 mine is doing sane thing did ur car ever get on like brakes were slammed on in traffic and putting dmf cure it
    What model, engine, gearbox and mileage? A slightly separated DMF often makes a quiet continuous clank, clank, clank at idle which can be heard from the gearbox side especially from underneath with the tray removed. Once you've heard the noise it's one you never forget and I have spotted this failure on many cars since just by 'engine whispering'. Others when failing catch the thin metal gasket between the engine and gearbox making a scratching sound every so often as they wobble. The manual 110hp estate I mentioned did feel like it was driving with the brakes on but the shudder was the biggest giveaway and the fact that the clutch bite point was almost at floor level.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12