Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Loss of power> smokey > then no smoke or power at all!! (VW Mk4 GT TDI 130)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Unhappy Loss of power> smokey > then no smoke or power at all!! (VW Mk4 GT TDI 130) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

Long time reader - first time poster...

I own a lovely (or it was lovely anyhow) VW Mk4 GT TDI 130 (2002 model) and basically here is what happened to me on my way in to work today...

I was driving as normal. Overtook a car. Braked. Went to accelerate again and heard one quiet clicky/pop noise from the engine. Tried to push throttle down but the hiss of the turbo was not as loud as usual. In my rear view was dark smoke bellowing out like anything. Each time I tried to floor it all i heard was a slight hiss and saw lots of smoke. A few miles later there was further loss of power and little or no hiss to be heard. The smoke had at this stage gone.

I do recall over the past few weeks there has been an odd moment where I was travelling at a steady 60mph say with my foot half way down on the throttle and felt a slight "jerk" or loss of power for a split moment and then it evens out straight away - could this perhaps have been the start of my current problem?

The car was running fine up til today (due an interim service a couple of thousand miles back mind). Any suggestions would be welcome before I take the final plunge and have to hunt down a reputable VW garage in Leicester. Cheers.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Check to see if a boost hose has come off.

follow me on twitter...kiteaudi...
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

3. Re: Loss of power> smokey > then no smoke or power at all!! (VW Mk4 GT TDI 130) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    Check to see if a boost hose has come off.

follow me on twitter...kiteaudi...
    cheers kite... sounds like a sensible explanation at the minute! i'll have a look in my haynes manual to see where the boost pipes are located.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Happened to me few weeks ago after new fmic instalation, as Kite suggests it could be a boost leak, if you can travel I know a good place in Notts if you need it looking over :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: Loss of power> smokey > then no smoke or power at all!! (VW Mk4 GT TDI 130) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, took it to mechanic... He said can't see anything at first glance.

Took it to a 2nd he revved it like anything n said your turbo is ok but u have a leak n could be the air flow sensor and a service is required.

Took it to third guy and he said could be leak or turbo gone.

I'm leaning towards the 2nd mechanics diagnosis all in all from what little I know... Gonna give the sensor a quick look n see if it makes any difference

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok keep us posted :-)

0 0 0

7. Re: Loss of power> smokey > then no smoke or power at all!! (VW Mk4 GT TDI 130) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    many thanks for the replies...

my golf was repaired today for the massive sum of £25!! was indeed a loose turbo pipe from the turbo outwards. Mechanic said its fine now and should be ok, but normally once it starts coming off then it may come off again and again... so may eventually need a new turbo unit.

question is... do i wait and hope it holds well or just sell the beast while its still going strong... hmm decisions... 68k on the clock. 2002 plate. One previous owner. Mint condish other than the turbo pipe thing happening!

What are all your thoughts? Do i jump on the mk6 bandwagon?! :P

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can you put a bead around where the hose fits?, its what I had to do on mine to stop the hoses blowing off, this gives the hose something to grip on to

0 0 0

9. Re: Loss of power> smokey > then no smoke or power at all!! (VW Mk4 GT TDI 130) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good idea Carl... Ta.

Also how about: Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=390434982364

I've read they grip much better, have more of a seal so u get max boost etc. So perhaps worth the initial outlay...

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Certainly looks the part, anyone used these hoses already?, and they have the bead to help grip, should be ok for what you need
    Carl

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast