Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my audi a3 1.8t has a pool of water in the drivers footwell

my coolant doesnt leak so it cant be that.

im guessing watr is getting in through the scuttle panel.

is this a common fault and where do i begin looking.

this crappy weather doesnt help either

0 0 0

2. Re: water in footwell 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i did further investigating today by pouring water in different place.
    so far there is no water coming via the door or the seals.
    no water coming via the drivers side scuttled.

when i pour water near the pollen filter i can see the carpert is become water near the centre console but couldnt see where its coming from.

so i took out the pllen filter thing cleaned it and sealed it with silicone.

where else do i need to check after this. is there an water escape chanel under the ecu? and what is the black box things on the drivers side scuttle panel.

0 0 0

3. Re: water in footwell 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi BBUK2004

Have you got a sunroof? A common fault I had with my Mk4 Golf, which had the same issues as you with water in the footwell, especially driver side, is that the water drain from the sunroof get blocked with sludge and crap off the roof and hence overflows into the footwells!!!

Not sure if the A3 8L has the same, but if you open the front doors, there should be a soft rubber tube which protrudes at an angle from the 'A' pillarin the area between the door and the where the higes fix to the car. Its about half way up from the bottom hinge. This is the water vent which directs water off the sunroof channels and down the frame to escape.
    To clear these, just squeeze the bottom of the protruding tube and this will open and let any water drain out.

This just may be your problem.
    1999 GTi Turbo - Turbo Technics uprated turbo, Forge charge cooler, Jabba remap, Milltek SS system, Brembo GT brakes, Koni Sportlines, Neuspeed ARBs

0 0 0

4. Re: water in footwell 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi rosso,

i forgot to mention my car doesnt have a sunroof so i guess it doesnt hve these drain things.

next im gona have a look and see if i can trace it if not i'll have to seal the crappy windscreen cowling to the window with silicone.

and check the bonnect cable that goes in to the dash. other than that i can't see how water can get in the footwells

0 0 0

5. Re: water in footwell 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK, so its not the sun roof drains then!

I know I have read on this forum somewhere, that this is a common problem, so have a search around and you should find the various threads regarding this subject.

I recall a common issue was water coming in through the door seal, I think, and running down the frame and into the car via the door speaker. I anm sure other members will be able to advise accordingly.
    1999 GTi Turbo - Turbo Technics uprated turbo, Forge charge cooler, Jabba remap, Milltek SS system, Brembo GT brakes, Koni Sportlines, Neuspeed ARBs

0 0 0

6. Re: water in footwell 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive been drying the carpet and monitering the situation and i have a lead today.

the carpet started drying and then become wet after it rained during the night.

so i lifted the carpet up dried it up and started pouring water on the windscreen and bingo. water started dripping from the brake pedal area.

does any know where abouts in the chamber it could be coming from. i have already sealed the pollen filter housing.

only thing i could see at the moment is that black box thing stuck flat near the wipers.

can any confirmwhat it could be.

0 0 0

7. Re: water in footwell 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your pollen filter housing is on the passengers side so if water was leaking through it which does happen, then it would be your passengers side footwell which would be wet not the drivers side unless you have a left-hand drive. I reckon that it maybe your windscreen seal is not properly seated-- was there a windscreen replacement done in recent times.

0 0 0

8. Re: water in footwell 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when u windscreen seal, do u mean the black cowling clipping in to the screen?or the actual glue. the blac cowling doestn sit flush like it doesnt on most audis. when i pour water in the middle of the screen water comes in to the footwell.

i cant tell if the windscreen was replaced as i had the car for 6 months.

0 0 0

9. Re: water in footwell 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are water channels behind the cowling and possibly you have one partially blocked which is not directing water flow as it should. In my experience with an A3. I had water in the passengers footwell which flowed down the windscreen through the pollen filter and into the passenger compartment. The pollen filter is uncovered so I had to put a cover on to stop it. Ideally the windscreen should be taken out and the channels cleared but I dont have to address this for the moment. I am only assuming this is your problem.

0 0 0

10. Re: water in footwell 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I had loads of issues with my old A3 (previous model) with water in the passenger footwell. Everyone kept saying it would be under the air filter or plenum chamber but it wasn't!
    In the end it turned out to be coming in uner the windscreen. Check that the back plastic a the bottom of the windscreen (under the wipers) is affixed prperly. If its lose, thats your problem. All I did was get some clear silicoln sealant (bathroom type stuff) and run it along the top and bottom of the black plastic and it worked a dream.

Hope this helps

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast