Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 1.9TDi Timing Belt Questions.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 1.9TDi Timing Belt Questions..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello all, I am new here having just traded in my beautiful if unreliable Alfa Romeo Sportwagon for a 53 plate Skoda Superb 1.9TDi Comfort (the one with the umbrella!).

My first post is a couple of questions:

1. I can see no record on the FSH of a timing belt change having been done and my new car has 62,500 miles on the clock - what is the interval for this? I think it needs doing......

2. Approximately how much would this cost for a garage to do - main dealers or independents?

Erm....anything else I might need to know.

I have previously owned an Audi a golf and several air-cooled VWs including a '73 GT Beetle and a dumped type-II so i am not totally new to the VAG thing.....

Cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.9TDi Timing Belt Questions..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Change it when in doubt! It might cost a bit but it will give you peace of mind. You might consider changing the water pump as well. I had a cambelt snap once and had to have the head skimmed and all valves renewed. Very costly!Also, beware, if you get a cambelt failure and have the head skimmed too much you get a higher compression pressure, which can lead to bearing seizeure or if valves damage the piston(rings) you will lose pressure. Job takes about 4 hours. Check prices at dealers and indies. Make sure they quote you for the complete kit including tensioner. Good luck.

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.9TDi Timing Belt Questions..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That is my view too, thanks. One of the final nails in the coffin of my Alfa was a timing belt failure on the M6 - lots of valves replaced and a bill for over £1100 (from an independent as well). It wasn't even due for another 10k......

I think I will get it changed , now to find a decent price for the job.....

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.9TDi Timing Belt Questions..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    That is my view too, thanks. One of the final nails in the coffin of my Alfa was a timing belt failure on the M6 - lots of valves replaced and a bill for over £1100 (from an independent as well). It wasn't even due for another 10k......

I think I will get it changed , now to find a decent price for the job.....
    Normally the interval is 60K miles or every 4 years, whichever comes first.

Ensure you get the tensioner replaced as well as the belt as it's normally the tensioner that causes the belt to fail.... and it'd be wise to replace the water pump whilst doing this work, as the originals had plastic propeller which eventually melts away from the shaft and doesn't spin, whereas the newer revisions all have metal propellers.

I've seen people quote circa £350 from main dealers for the whole lot inc labour! Thats a good price IMHO.

Let us know how you get on

Nick

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.9TDi Timing Belt Questions..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have had some main dealer quotes for the belt and tensioner supply and change and the best so far is £270 inc from Stoke Audi - what is really odd is that they are
    advertising the cambelt/tensioner change on ebay for VWs and Audis at £250 but seem to have added a £20 Skoda surcharge for my Superb!

Bloody cheek, it is exactly the same engine.....

I am gonna try a couple of reputable independents and see what they can do it for because cash is tight!

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.9TDi Timing Belt Questions..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think that £270 ''all in'' is not a bad price. You might want to question the £250 offer as advertised! I can assume that working on the engine is easier as the engine bay is bigger in the Superb compared to a Golf or A3.

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.9TDi Timing Belt Questions..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have had some main dealer quotes for the belt and tensioner supply and change and the best so far is £270 inc from Stoke Audi - what is really odd is that they are
    advertising the cambelt/tensioner change on ebay for VWs and Audis at £250 but seem to have added a £20 Skoda surcharge for my Superb!

Bloody cheek, it is exactly the same engine.....

I am gonna try a couple of reputable independents and see what they can do it for because cash is tight!
    I'd seriously consider buying a replacement water pump..... Just for piece of mind.

If the water pump need replacing, then the same labour costs as the belt replacement are needed once again.

Just my opinion

Nick

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.9TDi Timing Belt Questions..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nick,

Any idea how much a water pump is? I am a bit strapped at the moment!

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.9TDi Timing Belt Questions..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    GSF would have them. You can interactively look up the pump and price for your engine (I think around £30). OTOH the Stoke dealer might surprise you with a better price.

0 0 0

10. Re: 1.9TDi Timing Belt Questions..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nick,

Any idea how much a water pump is? I am a bit strapped at the moment!
    Tell me about it.... Aren't we all....

Anyway, i've just had a quick look on GSF (See here, https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=12031) and they are £19.75 - 10% forum member discount. (not sure about postage, may be a dealer near you?)

Hopefully it should save you money in the long run.

I dont think i'm on my own in suggesting this... it's a common failure and dont wont you to be caught out with another big bill X months down the line for the sake of £20 (or less).

Nick

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast