1. Audi Hold Assist retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Over the course of the last week I've retrofitted the Audi Hold Assist to my car, it was one of the options I dismissed at time of ordering, thinking it would be of low benefit with an automatic. The fact that they call it "Hill Hold Assist" in the brochures does it down as a feature IMO, manually applying the electromechanical handbrake every time you stop soon gets tedious, meaning I've developed a tendency to sit with my foot on the brakes a lot of the time

Soon after I took delivery of the car I noticed that DavidB8 had a partial article on retrofitting it, but I decided to wait until I'd put the car through its first service before tinkering.

AudiEnthusiasts Hill Hold Assist Install

A couple of other useful web sites

Audi Hill Hold Assist retrofit (almost) done - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
    Looking for crimp-on wire terminals for back of fuse block to add new circuit - AudiWorld Forums

Getting the replacement switch and repair wires was easy enough (the fuse wire certainly not cheap though) just to confirm the latest superseded part numbers, I obtained the following

1x 8K2 927 225 C WEP (this is for RHD cars)
    2x 000 979 009 E
    1x 000 979 025 EC
    1x 000 979 023 E

Plus a few extras such as wire, fuse, sleeving/fleece tape, heatshrink tubing.

I scoured the web for articles explaining suitable routes for the extra wires, this article is actually about fitting a radar jammer, but illustrates the ECU box route (albeit on a LHD car) which I used.

DIY: Install a Laser Jammer - AudiWorld Forums

To keep things neat I decided to run the extra wires within braided "fishnet" sleeving from the centre console to the right hand front fusebox where I picked up power from a spare fuse position (I couldn't face taking power from the rear fusebox like the true factory fit) then up through the ECU box, within the trough under the windscreen cowl (past the brake servo, battery terminals and washer bottle) down to the ABS controller.

Removing the ABS plug is simply a case of sliding down the red lock and rotating the grey lever, but then there's very little slack to play with and I was a bit stumped how to open up the connector to insert the extra contacts, I found a semi-helpful German article, but still couldn't figure it out (not wanting to break anything) so put it back and left it for a few days.

http://www.audi4ever.com/forumv2/ind...c,63316.0.html

Eventually I found a Spanish article with photos that really helped with the ABS plug, again the author warned about breaking the plug, you need to register to see the photos.

Brico instalación de Audi Hill Hold Assist - Electricidad Audi A4 B8 - Audisport Iberica

Now I felt I knew enough now to proceed, and cut the tie-wrap holding the ABS wires in place, the top tab of the hood popped off easily by inserting and twisting a Stanley blade, after pulling the top of the hood forward a few mm, I could insert a tie-wrap in one side and out the other to form a handle with which to pull the hood, while inserting a finger into the bottom of the hood and levering it left and right to remove the tabs on the sides towards the bottom ... I got it off without breaking them.

Then using a pin I piggled out the rubber bungs from the holes for pin8 and pin16 (double checking the numbering) at this point looking into the holes, it became clear what the comment about the purple retaining plate meant, and I levered the two purple lugs towards the centre of the connector, this opened the holes and the repair wire contacts clicked home nicely, and I levered the retaining clips back.

The pins on the repair wires came with rubber plugs included to make a good seal into the connector

Yesterday I was ready to solder the repair wires at the switch/fuse/abs locations to my extra wires, I used heatshrink tubing on all the soldered joints and self-amalgamating tape for good measure over the joints to the ABS unit, and used fleece-tape to bind the repair wires onto the loom more neatly ... no local dealers/car parts/car audio places seem to stock it, but you can get it from eBay.

Doing the re-coding was the easy bit, with this and enabling TPMS, my VCDS has partly earned its keep.

Overall it took a bit longer than I hoped it would do, mainly due to my unfamiliarity with modern cars, lack of room for sausagy fingers, the components of the car being designed to clip and snap together easily but only come apart with difficulty. Respect to anyone stopping to take photos and write a full how-to article, it would have slowed me down too much, but I'm happy to answer questions if anyone finds this in future and has any doubts.

Finally it's so nice to see the green (P) light up when coming to a halt now, it's noticeably smoother setting off again with the AHA compared to the electromechanical brake, no more squatting down of the car due to only using the rear brakes. I can see it's going to take me a couple of weeks to remember I have it, all-in-all I'm very happy with the retrofit
    Last edited by SunnyBard; 02-10-2016 at 05:19 PM. Reason: fixed moved URL
    2017 A5 sportback, 2.0TFSI, quattro, S tronic, S line, virtual cockpit, mythos black.

1 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Good job - thanks for writing up

1 0 0

3. Re: Audi Hold Assist retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Good write up. I'd love to know if it works on a Stop/Start car.... and if so why didn't they allow it when I ordered my MY2010
    MY2010 A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI quattro S-line Exec - Aruba Blue, 19" alloys, Full Leather, B & O, 3G Tech Pack, Adaptive Lights, Dynamic Susp, Folding Mirrors, Power tailgate, Storage/Light Packs, Parking Plus, Heated Seats, Rear Blinds, Load Rails, Privacy Glass, Rear Airbags, TPMS, Load Liner

Gone : 09 A4 Avant, B6 S4, TT, Golf GTi...and the rest are embarassing!

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi Hold Assist retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It was either on the 'configurator' or I've read it in my manual; that Hill Hold Assist and Stop/Start can't co-exist. That's from the factory, mind, so I don't know if they'll function together if we activate with VCDS.
    MY2009 A4 Saloon 2.0 TFSI quattro S-line Exec - Aruba Blue, 19" alloys, Convenience Key, Sunroof, Adaptive Lights, Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors, Rear Sun Blind, Heated Full Leather with Memory, Storage/Light Packs, Audi Hold Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Parking System Advanced, Privacy Glass, Rear Airbags, TPMS. MMI 2G with B&O Sound System, DAB Radio, DVB TV, AMI and Bluetooth Phone prep High with Privacy Handset.

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi Hold Assist retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Before embarking on this I think you need to check that you have right version of the ABS module installed on your car. Hill hold was missed off my car when being built and I have been assured that it is IMPOSSIBLE to retro fit. My own research indicated it was the ABS module that was the issue but happy to be proved wrong.
    Daytona Grey S5 Sportback
    Almost all the toys!

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi Hold Assist retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ru55 View Post
    Before embarking on this I think you need to check that you have right version of the ABS module installed on your car. Hill hold was missed off my car when being built and I have been assured that it is IMPOSSIBLE to retro fit. My own research indicated it was the ABS module that was the issue but happy to be proved wrong.
    I presume you checked the build codes (on the sticker in your logbook) and found it wasn't a 1AT module?

Did you extract suitable recompense from them for the mistake?
    2017 A5 sportback, 2.0TFSI, quattro, S tronic, S line, virtual cockpit, mythos black.

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi Hold Assist retrofit 
    warp_speed Guest
    What do you think of the Auto Hold Assist, I retrofitted it to my S4 but found a worrying noise whenever I'm parking the car with it activated, like a vibration coming from the brake pedal. I think its due to the stop go when your parking a car. I guess I just need to deactivate it when parking. Do you have this issue? I've got an Automatic so unsure if this is what the issue is.

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi Hold Assist retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I still love the Hill Hold, can't see why they don't make it standard equipment. No noises or vibrations when parking with it, the only noise I hear is when starting off again a little "ting" noise which I assume is the brake cylinder recharging, same as you sometimes hear when the "brake disc wiping" is happening.

My car doesn't have stop/go, when I had a manual A6 for a few days while mine was in the garage, I did find that the stop/go and the hill hold kind of competed with each other, maybe I didn't have long enough to get used to the combination with a manual gearbox.

I have a little issue developing which I think is the S-tronic needing recalibrating, it seems to be biting just a little to hard on the clutch when stationary, sometimes if I've come to a very gentle stop, so the hill hold is only keeping the brakes gently applied, rather than firmly applied, the car will creep forward against the hold, as soon as it moves an inch or two the hill hold does notice and more firmly applies the brake with a bit of a jolt.

I keep meaning to research performing a recalibration of the DSG, but i'm not convinced the instructions on the vagcom site exactly match my part numbers, so have held off for now.

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi Hold Assist retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I use it all the time and for the Ł75 extra I can't believe it is not standard now. My wife recently ordered her A4 and I made sure she included it in the order - the car has auto stop-start and i've had no issues using both at the same time. There was a short period of time when auto stop-start was first introduced when the audi configurator would not allow you to add the hold assist, but they soon sorted that out - perhaps teething problems with the combined technology.

0 0 0

10. Re: Audi Hold Assist retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Going to order this up - my wife has it in her car and.....managed to forget to apply the brake on mine because she is so used to it happening on hers - car rolled down the drive into the house !!!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast