1. Dual Mass Fly Wheel symptoms??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi I've finally come to the conclusion that my flywheel is on its way out but thought I'd seek some valuable advice from you guys who are in the know.

Basically whenever I get to biting point the car makes a whirring sort of noise.
    This initially only ever happened when the outside temp was cold but now it's happening in most conditions.
    Today after a service on the 2.0 BKP I noticed that there is an initial chattering noise from the clutch area on start up which eventually settles.

I'm thinking DMF but would greatly appreciate your input guys!
    Many thanks in advance
    Chris

0 0 0

2. Re: Dual Mass Fly Wheel symptoms??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Sounds like a DMF failure.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

3. Re: Dual Mass Fly Wheel symptoms??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Sorry to chime in on this thread, but I've learnt something new there Crasher. Most of the DMF failure symptoms I've heard people on the forum posting about have just been the judder at clutch biting point, which mine has too. I don't have the whirring or clattering noise & haven't noticed others with failing DMFs reporting those symptoms either. Would that say to you that Chrisman's failure is worse or further down the line towards complete failure than us others who only have the judder? Is that something I've got to look forward to if I don't get it changed? lol.

Again, sorry to butt in on the thread Chrisman, but if Crasher comes back to us, hopefully it'll give you an idea of how bad a state your dmf is in.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 0 0

4. Re: Dual Mass Fly Wheel symptoms??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The chattering sound is one of the most common signs of dmf failing. It usually sounds like you have two diesel engines under the bonnet. This is caused by the dmf springs becoming weak so the front plate vibrates against the back plate and makes a chattering noise. If you are lucky the plates jam together. If you are unlucky they become so loose that they smash each other apart and smash the bell housing. It's a good idea to change early because if the dmf plates move too far and jam, the fly wheel is a b*stard to get off .
    Last edited by martin1810; 01-06-2012 at 07:07 PM.

4 0 0

5. Re: Dual Mass Fly Wheel symptoms??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I often have to use an air powered disc cutter to chop out the centre section of the 220-mm flywheels used on 5 speeds as the centre rotates so far you cannot get the key in.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

2 0 0

6. Re: Dual Mass Fly Wheel symptoms??? 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Am I right in thinking that a bad violent start like the car nearly doesn't fire and the whole lump feels like it's shaking too much is the DMF failing as well, or would you think starter motor, that's on a DSG btw, I did notice my mates Octavia do the same thing yesterday and it seems the hot weather isn't helping, to describe it better it's like the car starting on a bump start rather than using the key.

0 0 0

7. Re: Dual Mass Fly Wheel symptoms??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Iv a similar issue on a bkp 2.0 tdi.Groaning and slight clatter.Groaning/whirring could be loose release bearing on the clutch.at least thats what i think i have but im no expert unlike the Crash!!

0 0 0

8. Re: Dual Mass Fly Wheel symptoms??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Just done a 2005 Allroad TDI today, the centre section of the flywheel was visibly off to one side, the nasty vibration has gone now.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1810 View Post
    The chattering sound is one of the most common signs of dmf failing. It usually sounds like you have two diesel engines under the bonnet. This is caused by the dmf springs becoming weak so the front plate vibrates against the back plate and makes a chattering noise. If you are lucky the plates jam together. If you are unlucky they become so loose that they smash each other apart and smash the bell housing. It's a good idea to change early because if the dmf plates move too far and jam, the fly wheel is a b*stard to get off .
    Hi Martin1018, can you (and everyone else), check you my 1min video of 2005 B6 TDI DSG BKP rattling sound.
    Past month I've been through oil pump failure and injectors failure... I think now I'm in DMF failure.

Thank you, I'm very desperate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quUVBkheot8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    ~ Passat B6 2.0 TDI 140HP DSG Highline (12/2005) - in May 2012 had one injector failure (120000km) VW replaced all injectors for free ~

0 0 0

10. Re: Dual Mass Fly Wheel symptoms??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I honestly can't tell. It does sound noisy but not so noisy that I would panic. I have old ears which don't help with noise diagnosis.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast