1. SIM Card data usage for MMI plus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I am thinking about getting some sort of pay as you go data sim card for the satnav/google maps etc. I can then divert calls to this when driving.

I dont really want to take my sim card in and out of my (works) phone alot, and work wont let me use my sim abroad and have locked out 3g in the uk.

Can anyone give me a feel for how much data you use using google maps etc? Anyone recommend a good sim only deal? I am not paying £10 a month just for my google maps!

Thanks
    rob
    S6 Black Avant: Tech advanced, Matrix, Keyless entry, Sunroof, Speed limit display, Tow bar, Rear camera
    Golf GTI (for the Mrs) BMW M140i (for work and fun )

0 0 0

2. Re: SIM Card data usage for MMI plus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How will you make outgoing calls in the car?

A6 SE Estate 3.0 TDi with no style but loads of gizmos

0 0 0

3. Re: SIM Card data usage for MMI plus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    i dont as a general rule.
    if i plan to i can always pop out the sim and bluetooth link my phone.
    S6 Black Avant: Tech advanced, Matrix, Keyless entry, Sunroof, Speed limit display, Tow bar, Rear camera

0 0 0

4. Re: SIM Card data usage for MMI plus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    It's too soon to tell yet how much data I use in a month - I haven't had the car that long! I don't think it's very much, though. From what I understand, it's best to use a T-mobile sim if you can get one. The car's systems seem to get along just fine on the T-mobile network. The one to avoid is Vodafone - I have seen various software crashes when using a Voda sim card.

Cheers!

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

5. Re: SIM Card data usage for MMI plus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    yep, ive been looking for a payg tmobile sim.
    They seem to have a £1 a day limit for data, but dont specifiy the actual rate.

only need minimal calls/texts and cheap data. thought it would be simple.

0 0 0

6. Re: SIM Card data usage for MMI plus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    So what we need is an App. for iPhone and Android that can detect the Bluetooth or Wifi connection in the A6 and automatically enable call forwarding to the phone number of the SIM in the car and cancel it when you move out of range of your much prized A6. A quick Google search finds Apps that allows call forwarding to be turned on and off easily.

Be careful if buying a Mobile Broadband data SIM as it may not support making or receiving voice calls as they are provisioned for data services only. Recommend you go for a PAYG Voice SIM with some sort of inclusive data allowance when you top up. Given the MMI caches google maps, data usage should be low if you travelling the same route frequently.

Has anyone any views on whether On Line Traffic is any advantage over TMC?
    A4 B9 (2018) S-Line Avant 2.0 TDi 190 S-Tronic, Quattro, Daytona Grey, Full Leather, Privacy Glass, MMI Plus, Extended Lighting Pack, Towbar

0 0 0