Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Audi A3 failed emmissions for MOT and struggles to start when MAF connected? please help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Unhappy Audi A3 failed emmissions for MOT and struggles to start when MAF connected? please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys i have recently aquired a 2000 audi a3 1.8t, the downpipe was blowing so have replaced that with one from the breakers,

also the car doesnt start when the MAF is connnected mainly when the engine is warm, if the MAF is disconnected it starts first time everytime, ive just put it through an MOT test and it has failed due to high Co2 emmissions, could the MAF be causing this? iuve spent allot on this so far including new brakes discs and pads, new bushes and 3 tyres !! now i cant afford to leave it at garages and have to resort to diagnosing this myself

please could someobody highlights on some areas that can cause high emmissions as i need to get the car on the road asap for work

Thanks in advance guys and hope to hear from you soon

Jeff

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You will need a new MAF as that regulated fuel-air ratio to give a clean burn and reduces the CO2 emissions. You could try giving it a clean with some brake cleaner from ********* or somewhere. If it runs smooth after the clean it should be ok, if not, you will need a new one. From Audi they are about £130!!

Rich.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Headlight Conversion, 2x8000k HID kits, De-cat downpipe, .216 Nozzles Boost Gauge, Colour changed on climate control and all buttons, LED instrument cluster, LED number plate lights, LED rear/brake lights, Lowered 40mm on SPAX springs. Soon to have GT1749VA

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi A3 failed emmissions for MOT and struggles to start when MAF connected? please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the prompt reply Rich really appreciate it, i think my best bet would be to clean the maf ill get it done as see how it is, currently i cant drive the car with it plugged in :s must be completely knackered it just cuts the car out even if i plug it in when its started and wont start with it on?

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi A3 failed emmissions for MOT and struggles to start when MAF connected? please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Fit a new Air Mass Meter but only buy it from an Audi dealer, nowhere else no matter how good the price is.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sounds like it is dead or completely filthy and telling the engine no or too much air is going in.

As crasher said only fit genuine. I was lured by a 30 quid one, worked great for about a week. Then the problem came back. Ended up needing a new CAT as the fuel had been exploding in the cat.

Rich

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Headlight Conversion, 2x8000k HID kits, De-cat downpipe, .216 Nozzles Boost Gauge, Colour changed on climate control and all buttons, LED instrument cluster, LED number plate lights, LED rear/brake lights, Lowered 40mm on SPAX springs. Soon to have GT1749VA

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi A3 failed emmissions for MOT and struggles to start when MAF connected? please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi mate thanks for getting back to me, yes will do however i cant really afford a new one at the moment audi want £120 for it and i dont get paid till next friday what if i was to buy a second hand genuine one? would that do the job? also my maf part number is 0280217117 and i cant seem to find one on ebay with that part number was wondering if somebody may have out a wrong unit on it previously or something?

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi A3 failed emmissions for MOT and struggles to start when MAF connected? please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If its local and you can test it to see if it works then you might as well. anything through the post though and they might turn around and say, well it was working when i posted it....

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi A3 failed emmissions for MOT and struggles to start when MAF connected? please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the reply mate, ive had a vcds scan done on it and it did come back with a faulty maf, and also a boost controller or something reset and maf is still there, says its reading is too high ? so definatly need a new maf will try a new maf tomorrow and will keep you updated, funny thing is though when i did a scan when it hit 3 quarters done the scan stopped and a error message came up saying cannot respond with car i did it a few times and it failed to complete everytime?

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi A3 failed emmissions for MOT and struggles to start when MAF connected? please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Your car has said fit a new AMM and it will rarely do this so I suggest you do what it says! Please please please do not fit a cheap and nasty fleaBay part or even a Bosch boxed item, ONLY buy it from your Audi dealer.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Audi A3 failed emmissions for MOT and struggles to start when MAF connected? please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    right fitted a new amm from audi £120 inc vat all seems to be starting and running fine now but however before the mot restest i want to rule out any other issues i have noticed that the temperature fluctuates on the car never exceed 90 however goes down even if ive been driving it what could this be? a coolant temp sensor? as it smells like a weird smell is coming through the air vents smells like it may be coolant or something?

thanks guys were getting somewhere now

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast