Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Seat Alhambra 2.0 Petrol engine 1999 (T Reg). Engine turns but usually fails to start

1. Seat Alhambra 2.0 Petrol engine 1999 (T Reg). Engine turns but usually fails to start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was hoping somebody may be able to help with a very frustrating fault I am having.
    Sometimes it takes 20 tries to start my Seat Alhambra, involving punping the throttle and praying a lot!

Just when I am about to give up it sounds like it is trying to catch, so I frantically pump the throttle more and it coughs into life. It then runs fine. I have noticed that it seems to catch as I turn the ignition key off, which may be why turning it on and off so many times helps.

I have read the posts in this forum this evening and have drawn up a shortlist of probable causes which I hope to try, on a simplest and cheapest solution basis.

I am not sure if the possible causes are common to all models, which confuses the fix a little!

Does anyone know which fix is the best bet, and if there are any other possible causes to add to the list?

Many thanks for reading this and I would be very grateful for any help because the problem is incredibly frustrating.

1. I have only one key, could the key not be recognizing the transponder? Does the door led go on or off when the transponder recognizes the key?

2. A fault with the ignition relay system, possibly relay 109?

3. i have replaced the distributor cap, rotor arm and ht cables. Is there a cheaper source for these cables available as i have had to borrow these at present from a donor vehicle?

4. fuel filter possibly blocked?

5. clean contacts of fuel relay 24/410?

6. would bump starting help exclude any of these causes?

7. ecu fault due to water ingress

8. poor battery earth

I was hoping that i could reorganize the list according to probability and hopefully find the cure.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone has the answer

Best Wishes

John
    Pearly King of Surbiton
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    First thing is first, which sounds like it should not be a problem to you in this case
    When it does not start check to see if it is getting a spark or if its getting fuel.
    No point in going any further yet.

0 0 0

3. Re: Seat Alhambra 2.0 Petrol engine 1999 (T Reg). Engine turns but usually fails to start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sounds like it could be the on set of a faultly coil/ign amp (amp is built in to coil) very common, i replaced one last week on an alhambra with the same fault as this and its perfect now

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

4. Re: Seat Alhambra 2.0 Petrol engine 1999 (T Reg). Engine turns but usually fails to start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    These are great suggestions which definitely go straight to the top of the list!

to try and save getting my hands dirty (!) i think im tempted to try the ignition coil first since it looks quite easy to replace.

im guessing it is on the right hand side of the bulkhead looking from the front of the car attached to the centre high tension cable from the distributor cap.

i have been scouring ebay and have come across what seems to be the right part.
    It is described as,
    'Audi 80 90 Coupe Seat Ibiza Cordoba Arosa Alhambra Skoda Ignition Coil Part Number 6N0905104' and costs 7 pounds 99 pence plus three pounds postage.'
    There is also the same part number and new part sold on ebay by 'volksbits_england' for 12 pounds fifty pence with free delivery which sounds quite a good deal.

Does anyone know if i am looking at the right part.

Best Wishes

John
    Pearly King of Surbiton
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

0 0 0