1. Re: Tailgate hinge bolt snapped 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I knew I forgot to do something a few weeks ago Here are the pics of the trim removal.

I started on the left side but it doesn't matter. It will probably help to use long flat blade screw driver to release the clips.

IMG_7516.jpg

In all you'll be removing 5 clips. Then set the section aside.

IMG_7570.jpg

For the side trim I used my hand to gently pry these kinds of clips. I let the trim hand this way during the job.
    IMG_7573.jpg

The next is the panel that goes the length down the cabin (on the upper right in the pic), there's one or two clips that may need to be released to give access to the bolts.

I seem to be limited on the # of pics I can post in one post so I'll post the others following this one.

0 0 0

2. Re: Tailgate hinge bolt snapped 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The next step is to run your hand behind the hinge where it attaches to the body of the car, you'll feel a square recessed "box" with the 2 bolts.

IMG_7568.jpg

Stiking my camera blindly, I took this shot. You can now see that you'll need a long socket 13mm.

IMG_7530.jpg

For the 2 TORX that hold the hinge to the tailgate, you'll need a T-30. Tap them in with a hammer to break any paint in the threads so you get a good bite.

IMG_7507.jpg

The bolt that ties the hinge to the lift/close motor is a 10mm. I also used wooden shims on the roof of the car (between the door and the roof) to keep the door steady with the hinge removed.

IMG_7552.jpg

Hinge removed.

IMG_7553.jpg

0 0 0

3. Re: Tailgate hinge bolt snapped 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here's the hinge removed.

IMG_7562.jpg

To removed the snapped bolt, use heat to remove the Loctite(?) that comes with these screws after which it should come out easily.

IMG_7564.jpg

Re-installing the hinge may require you to advance/backup the mechanism and I found it easier to release the bolt from the other side otherwise the mechanism moves independently and was concerned about re-alignment. The motorized hinges appear to re-align when they go into the closed position. Anyway, tapping on the open/close button will alternately advance/backup the motorized hinges and allow you to slide the hinge in. You'll figure it out

IMG_7575.jpg

Here's the part # on the bag with my two screws (tipped with blue Loctite(?)).

IMG_7569.jpg

It was a fun job and many thanks to Aardvark4Design for answering my overseas call to get advice

2 1 0

4. Re: Tailgate hinge bolt snapped 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark4Design View Post
    You just need to gently pull it down.
    Thanks for the reply! The nuts for removing the hinges were a bit harder to get to, but managed to loosen those also. Now I have a working auto-close motor on the tailgate

0 1 0

5. Re: Tailgate hinge bolt snapped 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi - this is a helpful thread as I just noticed the same issue on my 2008 Passat wagon (passenger bolt sheared off). Does anyone know the size/dimensions of the bolt. I need to buy a new one.

thanks

fj

0 0 0

6. Re: Tailgate hinge bolt snapped 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

If i remember correctly the bolts on the tailgate were standard M8 size. Can't remember the length of them though. Anyway, you should be able to find the correct size in your local hardware store in the shelf with M-threaded bolts.

Hope this helpful

-Christian

0 0 0

7. Re: Tailgate hinge bolt snapped 
    Aardvark4Design Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Juliano View Post
    Hi - this is a helpful thread as I just noticed the same issue on my 2008 Passat wagon (passenger bolt sheared off). Does anyone know the size/dimensions of the bolt. I need to buy a new one.

thanks

fj
    They are only about 80p from VW so safer to buy from them and they have the thread lock on too.

0 0 0

8. Re: Tailgate hinge bolt snapped 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "The next is the panel that goes the length down the cabin (on the upper right in the pic), there's one or two clips that may need to be released to give access to the bolts."

How do I supposed to do that, I don't see those 2 clips and if I force it I may end up breaking the ceiling cover, seems super fragile.

0 0 0

9. Re: Tailgate hinge bolt snapped 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting the pictures of the fix. Had to replace the RHS bolt on mine today (2012 MY12.5 Passat), armed with the toolbox and laptop opened on this page. Took me about 2 hours all up - pain in the backside but very happy to fix it for $3.00 worth of genuine bolts and a grazed knuckle or two (the dealer reckoned around $500 for them to fix).

Highly recommend these bolts are checked for tightness every few months. The reason mine snapped was that it had loosened itself so was subject to bending loads and ultimately failed (with quite a "twang" noise). The LHS one was also very loose and in danger of going the same way.

0 0 0

10. Thumbs up Re: Tailgate hinge bolt snapped 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting - very informative. I'm halfway thru the repair - just need to get myself a new T30 TORX - first one snapped!

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast