Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Everyone.

I've done diagnostid into a VW LT35, 2.8TDI, 2004 model. The Airbag light are permanently on, when the Engine are started.
    For just a few weeks ago I was at a original VW car service and they connected to the Airbag module and did a reset of the Airbag failure. The machanical told me that there was a little bit high "voltage" in the Steering wheel-airbag and that it probably needed to be changed.

He also told that the airbag warning light would probably come back very soon. After 10 minutes of driving the light was back on!

At home I have tested this VCDS lite shareware and I am fully able to read both diagnostics and airbag on most of the VW cars that I have tested, but the progam will not connect to the Airbag module of the Volkswagen LT. The error message is: "Can't connect to Airbag module"

Since the mechanical was able to connect to the Airbag module at the VW car service and reset the SRS-light I dont think there is any problem with the car or the ECU systems.

I know that this car is also produce by Mercedes Benz, known as Sprinter. I also need to use a special adapter to connect to the ECU. I guess that is some kind of Mercedes system.

Do anyone know if I need to use some spcial tools, special tricks, special adapters or software to get connected to that Airbag module? I guess there is some kind of easy trick to get connection estabilished :-)

0 0 0

2. Re: Can't access Airbag module on a VW LT35, 2.8TDI, 2004 model 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    i look after a 2000 lt46 and use a SNAP ON modis computer. to go to abs i need to go into it as a merc sprinter . if i go in as a vw, i can't get into the abs. it doesn't have airbags though, but i bet if it did i would also need to go in as a sprinter, so you are probably right.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 0 0

3. Re: Can't access Airbag module on a VW LT35, 2.8TDI, 2004 model 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I see. - but I am not ablle too chose Mercedes thru the VCDS lite software. I know there are some kind of other software at the market like Vag-com 409.1 and other systems like scantool etc.

But I also know that some of this software don't communicates with VW cars. There are for example cables and software that are able to communicate with other cars, but not the VW, so it might be a litle bit "risky" to buy different solutions when I don't know exactly if I can use it to communicate with the Airbags at the VW LT.

For me I think it would be best if someone knows about a software like VAG.com or scantool or some other producers that will be able to communicate with the VW LT airbags. I also need to know what kind of cable that was used together with the software. Seems like there are many different cables and software at the market :-)

0 0 0

4. Re: Can't access Airbag module on a VW LT35, 2.8TDI, 2004 model 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If I am reading this thread thoroughly, you are trying to use VCDS-Lite to talk to a Crafter (LT)? VCDS got coverage for the Crafter in 2011 (VCDS version 11.11). VCDS-Lite, released in 2004, does not have any coverage for Crafter. The Crafter electronics are mostly Mercedes based. VCDS had to modified to speak Merc... It speaks it only for what we know about the Crafter. We do not have full coverage for the Crafter. We're still developing that support. It does however have support for Airbag according to our Revision history found on our web site.

Since we do not have Crafters here in the US, I do not have direct experience using VCDS on a Crafter. But, our guys around the world do!

1 0 0

5. Re: Can't access Airbag module on a VW LT35, 2.8TDI, 2004 model 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, I am trying to "talk" with a LT - 2004 model. From around 2006/2007 there was a makeover for this cars and they changed name to VW Crafter. Most of the car are equal to Mercedes Sprinter and most of the parts are the same except for some chassie details in the front.

I dont know the Crafter model very well, but I know that the engines in VW LT periode 1996 - 2006 are from Volkswagen and that the Engine in the Sprinter model from 1996 to 2006 are Mercedes Engines.

In the model I tried to connect to there is a 116kW/158hp engine. I think this actually is a truck engine from MAN. (MAN is owned by VW?).

This is not a "big problem" for me. I think it just would be fun if I could change the Steering wheel airbag by myself and maybe be able to delete the airbag lamp in my dashboard. I've been able to get a used Steering wheel airbag and it's easy to change that part.

I am not sure what kind of tools they use at the VW car-service, but I've seen different airbag-reset tools in car accesories shops, but none of them will confirm that their products are able to connect to "my" airbag :-)

I know the airbags are from the Bosch producer.

If I don't find a good solutions without spending to much money it will probably be better to go back to the VW service and let them reset the airbag-error for me after I've changed it.

You says VCDS version 11.11 have support for the crafter in 2011. Does this mean that VCDS version 11.11 also are able to connect to the LTs with airbags? Produced in the periode 1996 - 2006?

Thank you for answering me :-)

0 0 0

6. Re: Can't access Airbag module on a VW LT35, 2.8TDI, 2004 model 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    We do not have coverage for the 1996-2006 LT. If you get anything to talk it will probably be limited to the Engine and Immo [01] and [25] respectively. So no, VCDS is not going to help with airbags in the 2004 LT. What I have learned is that VW provided the engine and Immo systems for these vehicles and that all others come from Mercedes. As such, the VAG tools cannot talk with those other modules.

Sorry for the mis-information I gave earlier.

1 0 0

7. Re: Can't access Airbag module on a VW LT35, 2.8TDI, 2004 model 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok! Thank you again :-)

I can confirm that it is possible to read the error codes for the engine module (01) and the Immo (25) with the VCDS-Lite software, like you said. I am not able to read any other modules with that software.

I've checked a little bit and it seems like a tool named SNAP ON Modus (as Zollaf says in one of the posts above) are able to communicate with all the modules in the VW LT 1996 - 2006 model.

For me as a hobby mechanichal it seems to be expesive, so I guess it will be easier to just let the original VW car service do the diagnostic and reset the Airbag light and error codes for me.

Thank for all the help :-)

0 0 0

8. Re: Can't access Airbag module on a VW LT35, 2.8TDI, 2004 model 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a similar problem trying to access ABS on my 2005 LT35. But which model of Sprinter will gain access please.

0 0 0