1. 1.8T engine knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have a noise coming from the engine that sounds quite knocky. It’s very apparent at idle with the hood up.
    In and around the same time as this started I had a low coolant alarm.

In the last week or 2 the noise has gotten louder and I now also have a bigger coolant leak somewhere in the engine.
    It’s not the expansion bottle as checked that last night but I am loosing at least a litre a day now.

My gut is telling me the water pump has gone but it is only 35k since the belt was done and the pump was changed then too. I also believe it was the brass pump that was used and not the plastic one that gives trouble.

Anyone ideas anyone, as would hate to do the timing belt again unnecessarily.

Car is Audi below in signature.

Thanks
    02 1.8T A4 B6 AVJ 150bhp (190map)
    02 1.6 Beetle AYD 101bhp
    VAGCOM 409.1-s

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.8T engine knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    You meed to get an experienced ear to listen to it. My first worry with these engines is always oil pressure.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.8T engine knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply Crasher.

A little bit of history.
    I had an oil pressure issue with this engine about 35k ago which led to big end bearing replacement, strainer clean, engine flush with new oil x 2, sump and rocker cover wash.
    There was no hydraulic lifter damage and in fairness it came back very strong from this work and I have not had a peep out of it since.

Oil is replaced with 10/40 magnatec every 6kish. I know it can run on 5/30 but didn’t want to change oil viscosity after 50k miles.
    My initial thought was when I heard this noise was oil starvation to the lifters, but the simultaneous coolant fluid loss kind of turned my head a little.

I probably should look for the source of the coolant loss and will do. Just assuming the fluid loss is unrelated and it is the lifters making the noise, do you think if I removed the sump and done the strainer I should be back on track again or is there anything else you would recommend.

Thanks,
    02 1.6 Beetle AYD 101bhp
    VAGCOM 409.1-s

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.8T engine knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Its very difficult to be accurate when I can't hear it but it comes over to me as noisy valve gear due to oil pressure problems.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

5. Re: 1.8T engine knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers,

I think you are right and it was my initial thought as its that low dull kind of diesel knocking sound. If I give her a good revving it goes away and slowly creeps back in when idling. Sort of like a partial blockage and the extra pressure of revving the car gets the oil up to the top for a bit.

One other thing i noticed is I'm spraying a bit of oil out the side of my rocker cover gasket when I was revving it earlier. I would drop abt a litre every 3k so I dont know if this would have any impact unless a pressure drop up there could cause an issue.

Was thinking of giving it an engine flush and see how I get on. Was gonna use that stuff you put in, drive for a mile or so and dump it. (would you recommend this)

Will also do the rocker cover gasket and give it a clean in and around there.
    Hopefully I might get away with just doing that.
    02 1.6 Beetle AYD 101bhp
    VAGCOM 409.1-s

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.8T engine knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burkey1 View Post
    If I give her a good revving it goes away and slowly creeps back in when idling
    Classic 1.8T loss of oil pressure symptom due to bearing wear.

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

7. Re: 1.8T engine knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <REMOVED> anyway... will have to get that looked at

Do you mean (lower) crankshaft bearing wear or (upper) camshaft bearing wear.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Guest 2; 28-04-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Please don't bypass the swear filter
    02 1.6 Beetle AYD 101bhp
    VAGCOM 409.1-s

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.8T engine knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    It will be crank bearing wear hopefully, the cams run in the head material and have no bearings.

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

9. Re: 1.8T engine knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Loosing a load of coolant now so lifted her up and the fluid is dripping from the pulley the V belt tensioner is attached to. My understanding is the water pump is directly above this pulley. If this is correct it can only be the water pump now, right???

Can timing-belt tools 3387 (2 hole pin wrench) and T10008 (locking plate) be picked up easily, and are they expensive?

Also bought an OEM cylinder head cover gasket as it need replacing. According to elsawin is requires some sealant also. Is this correct and what sealant should I use?

On the knocking noise im 99% sure its only coming from the cylinder head, i.e. valve gear. Im just gonna engine flush x2 here and pray for now.

This is getting expensive now.....

Appreciate all help here..

Thanks
    02 1.6 Beetle AYD 101bhp
    VAGCOM 409.1-s

0 0 0

10. Re: 1.8T engine knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Yes that will be the water pump.

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast