1. Exclamation uninitialized control module warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I'm a new VCDS owner, just starting off with "the usual" tweaks (needle sweep, tpms etc) so far all tweaks have worked nicely, but when writing codes I get the following message ...

Each time it's happened, I've chosen to keep the current values which I think are 06335/000/00000, does it matter what goes in these fields, should these have been initialised by the dealer?
    Last edited by SunnyBard; 22-04-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: corrected WSC
    2017 A5 sportback, 2.0TFSI, quattro, S tronic, S line, virtual cockpit, mythos black.

0 0 0

2. Re: uninitialized control module warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The full WSC or WorkShop Code comprises: XXXXX/YYY/ZZZZZ where:

X is the dealership number
    Y is the importer (country) number
    Z is the diagnostic tool number

You'll find the dealership number on their stamp that goes in your service book. I think here in the UK they all commence with 00 so you may just find three digits - Leicester is 751 for example. Importer number is 210 for the UK.

Default (factory) controllers are either 06325/000/00000 or 00000/000/00000.

It doesn't really matter what they are; however I'd advise you to leave VCDS at the default setting (Options>User Interface and Identification tab) of 00000/000/00000 and it should write back what it finds so a subsequent dealership doesn't immediately know you've been fiddling.

What version of VCDS are you using? I've never seen that message before.
    MY2009 A4 Saloon 2.0 TFSI quattro S-line Exec - Aruba Blue, 19" alloys, Convenience Key, Sunroof, Adaptive Lights, Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors, Rear Sun Blind, Heated Full Leather with Memory, Storage/Light Packs, Audi Hold Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Parking System Advanced, Privacy Glass, Rear Airbags, TPMS. MMI 2G with B&O Sound System, DAB Radio, DVB TV, AMI and Bluetooth Phone prep High with Privacy Handset.

1 0 0

3. Re: uninitialized control module warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenerdiode View Post
    The full WSC or WorkShop Code comprises: XXXXX/YYY/ZZZZZ where:
    Default (factory) controllers are either 06325/000/00000 or 00000/000/00000.
    What version of VCDS are you using? I've never seen that message before.
    Using 11.11.3 (64 bit), the values are all 00000/000/00000 on the options/id page, it would be less annoying if there was a tick box to never show this warning again.

I presume it's normal for the dealer to plug their kit in as part of PDI, to check for any errors and write their dealer number, but somehow mine wasn't?

The engine module has 00533/210/93181 but then it did have an ECU firmware recall done recently when it had oil changed in Nottingham.

All other modules are 06335/000/00000 except the parking brake which is 00000/000/00000, presume that's the one VCDS is shouting about?

Should I presume you're in Leicester? I'm wondering when the new dealership is set to open, was hoping to eek-out remaining mileage to first full service so it can go there ... but looking unlikely now.

Thanks.
    2017 A5 sportback, 2.0TFSI, quattro, S tronic, S line, virtual cockpit, mythos black.

0 0 0

4. Re: uninitialized control module warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    That message has been in VCDS for some time. Simply use the suggested 12345/123/12345 and the coding will be permitted.

You see, some modules require that a WSC code be supplied to allow coding to happen. It's not VCDS requiring this. It is the module. There is nothing wrong with using the WSC suggested but before VCDS goes in and does this automatically, we want the user to know we are doing it and to give the user the ability to set a WSC they choose.

You should have no trouble setting the coding once you say Yes to accept the suggested WSC.

1 0 0

5. Re: uninitialized control module warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bearthebruce View Post
    That message has been in VCDS for some time. Simply use the suggested 12345/123/12345 and the coding will be permitted.
    Thanks for the confirmation Bruce, would it be "less obvious" to the dealer if I used 06325/000/00000 rather than 12345/123/12345 ? BTW it did accept the coding when I told it to keep the existing WSC. I'll probably reverse out the my changes before dropping it in to be serviced, then add them back afterwards ...

0 0 0

6. Re: uninitialized control module warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If it accept the coding with the existing WSC, then I would opt to leave the existing WSC. I'm not sure I see a reason to back out your coding each time. Frankly, unless there is a problem related to the coding changes, I can't see the dealer picking up on it.. But.... who is to say...

0 0 0

7. Re: uninitialized control module warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bruce has already stated most of this but I thought I'd share some additional advice on this as well.

Even the the general message existed for quite some time, with the recent VCDS updates the message has been changed/updated to what you see now and this may result in the message showing more often than you might have been used to. The background here is that VCDS always tries to use the "originally stored" WSC unless a specific WSC has been entered in VCDS > Options. Sadly when cars are being produced they are not necessarily being coded using the same type of tools than the dealer has but rather some that are specific to the production line and do not necessarily obey the same rules. Since the factory tool always writes it's own fingerprint it never runs into an issue like this, so due to the nature of most users not having their own WSC assigned you will see this more often than not.

In general most control modules will still accept partial-zero or zero WSCs but some (for example the RNS510 or certain ABS/ESP systems) will not. Our recommendation when that message pops is that you give the current values a try first by pressing [No] and only if the coding fails to revert back to using the alternative values by pressing [Yes].

Aside all this, as long as your coding/adaptation changes are reasonable no dealer should give you a hard time, most will not even check if the WSC has actually been modified especially since their tool will write it's own WSC/fingerprint once it does any (writing) work to it.
    Sebastian @ www.Ross-Tech.com

1 0 0

8. Re: uninitialized control module warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresias View Post
    Our recommendation when that message pops is that you give the current values a try first by pressing [No] and only if the coding fails to revert back to using the alternative values by pressing [Yes].
    That is indeed what I did, and it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Theresias View Post
    as long as your coding/adaptation changes are reasonable no dealer should give you a hard time
    Car was serviced today, I left all the tweaks in place, nobody said a word

0 0 0

9. Re: uninitialized control module warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Sorry for digging this from the past but I have the same problem with coding. I got the same message about module isnt initialized and I choose default option. After I code something coding is accepted but no changes. Tryed to code seatbelt chime off coding accepted but not changed anything. My car is A5 2.0tdi 2013 and I'm using aftermarket (chinese) vcds 12.12 clon cable . Just to mention licence is valid, can read/erase faults but coding not working as it should.

0 0 0