1. ECU problem...i think 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi you look like the guys to help, i have a Golf GTI 8V and have a problem...it pinks now and again i have had the timing done twice in static (even though haines say you cant manualy set the timing...on a gti...could it have something to do with the ecu...or any other ideas would be cool

Cheers
    0 0 0

2. Re: ECU problem...i think 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    You need to read it for faults to be sure but my guesses are (depending on age / engine etc which you don't state) are:

Lamda sensor.
    Knock sensor.
    0 0 0

3. Re: ECU problem...i think 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    buggar i should have said...its a mk3 gti 8v on a L plate

sorry
    0 0 0

4. Re: ECU problem...i think 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'd go with what I've said above then.

Also, did you do the timing?

I did the cambelt on our old N reg 2.0 8v and lost the dizzy timing off the intermediate shaft. I was worryied sick about it as there is simply no info on setting it / timing up the engine. What I did was time it up to TDC on Nr.1 and then made sure the the rotor arm was pointing to Nr.1 on the cap. It was a very inexact way of doing things and I honestly thought it wouldn't even run. However once all bolted back together it was perfect. This leads me on to say that I don't think the engine is that fussy what the basic timing is as the ecu actually controls the spark timing.
    0 0 0

5. Re: ECU problem...i think 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry being thick..but does this mean a new ECU or one off ebay might sort the problem...
    0 0 0

6. Re: ECU problem...i think 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    No read above.

Get it read for faults first, this should tell you what is wrong.
    0 0 0