Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Please Help: Car now starts after chain snapped, but oil leak from cam seal and above coolant flange

1. Please Help: Car now starts after chain snapped, but oil leak from cam seal and above coolant flange 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi again, big thank you to everyone on this forum so far, wouldn't have got the car going without you lot.

Anyway, after my cam chain snapped, i have replaced all the valves, changed the head gasket and the cam belt for good measure.

So, the car now runs and drives, much to my amazement! But its losing oil quick time. I can see it coming from the exhaust front cam seal, and its dripping like mad out of the solenoid that controls the VVT (i think thats what it is) onto the coolant flange at the back of the head.

So my questions are:
    - Do you have to remove the cam shaft to replace the cam seal? and why is it visibly pouring out? Could a perished seal really cause it to leak so fast? Or could it be more sinister.

- Why the hell is the solenoid leaking at the back, i have tightened all three bolts and the gasket seems fine.

I have heard that the crankcase ventilation valve can cause too much pressure in the top end when it becomes blocked. I know that when i reassembled the engine, the pcv was blocked along with the pipe leading to the rocker breather. So i replaced all the pipes, but unblocked the valve with a drill, so i'm not sure how it works, is it a one way valve? Because now you can blow through all three ends? Would this make a difference atall?

Sorry about my extremely long posts!
    I will do my best to contribute to the forum by helping some other people out with their predicaments.

0 0 0

2. Re: Please Help: Car now starts after chain snapped, but oil leak from cam seal and above coolant flange 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Which year and engine code? Did you replace the gasket kit for the VVT unit?

Did you fit a new cam seal and if so, where did it come from?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Please Help: Car now starts after chain snapped, but oil leak from cam seal and above coolant flange 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, Its a 2.0 2V (ALT Code) - I don't think the seals above are used on my engine? Not that i have seen, the cam carrier lifts off in one complete peice. Cheers

0 0 0

4. Re: Please Help: Car now starts after chain snapped, but oil leak from cam seal and above coolant flange 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Yes the ALT is different. Did yo replace the cam oil seals and what sealant did you use on the cam frame?

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Please Help: Car now starts after chain snapped, but oil leak from cam seal and above coolant flange 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, think ive figured something out. The from cam seal shouldn't be a problem, just means taking belt off AGAIN. But i can do this in about 20 seconds, left handed and with my eyes closed now lol.

Anyway, as for the rear, the solenoid isn't meeting the head flush? there is about 3mm difference, ive taken the cam frame off and lined it up, and it seems the VVT solenoid needs to be squeezed back together or something?? Ill Post up a picture to try and clear things up

0 0 0

6. Re: Please Help: Car now starts after chain snapped, but oil leak from cam seal and above coolant flange 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, so with a spare solenoid, i got a G Clamp and compressed the shaft so that it will now seat flush. But my question is, how do you remove the one on the inlet shaft? I given it a wiggle and a pull, but can't pull it free? Anyone done one of these before?

Cheers guys

0 0 0

7. Re: Please Help: Car now starts after chain snapped, but oil leak from cam seal and above coolant flange 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

0 0 0

8. Re: Please Help: Car now starts after chain snapped, but oil leak from cam seal and above coolant flange 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    You need a VW compressing tool T10092 (basically a bolt and nut!) to compress the tensioner and possibly the frame is misaligned due to you not using the T40029 alignment pin for the frame.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Please Help: Car now starts after chain snapped, but oil leak from cam seal and above coolant flange 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    You need a VW compressing tool T10092 (basically a bolt and nut!) to compress the tensioner and possibly the frame is misaligned due to you not using the T40029 alignment pin for the frame.
    Should really of read his before i worked on it earlier lol. Didn't bother using the tensioner tool, i just loosened the frame off and let the cams pop it off. Left the chain on and the tensioner pushed up against the chain. Then, i just tightened the frame back down and maneuvered the cams back into place. The tensioner then resumed its normal position.

Anyway, me being a cheapskate i only replaces the exhaust cam seal, and sure enough the inlet one is leaking now!! I believe this one can be changed just by removing the cam sensor and popping a new seal back in though?

0 0 0