Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Thoughts on brand new vs. 2nd hand camshaft?

1. Thoughts on brand new vs. 2nd hand camshaft? 
    Jonny88 Guest
    My PD 150 needs a new camshaft with all the relevant bits and bobs.

I've been offered a good condition 2nd hand camshaft from another PD 150 that's done 70k ish and has had over heating problems so it's been broken for spares.

I'm told it could take roughly £350 off the total cost of repair.

What are people's thoughts on this? As much as I would like to bring the cost down, I don't want to risk finding myself with the same problem in a couple of years time. However, if it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do, then I don't want to miss the opportunity to save some money. As far as the plan for the car goes, in light of having to foot this repair bill, I'm inclined to try and get another 100k out of it (currently at 105k), whereas before I was thinking of selling to upgrade, but not so sure anymore. If I do decide to sell it, is the resale value going to be affected much by having a 2nd hand camshaft fitted over a brand new one? Or conversely, will having a new camshaft fitted increase the value much over having a 2nd hand one fitted instead?

Any thoughts appreciated as I'm pretty undecided and in need of some advice.

Thanks in advance.

0 0 0

2. Re: Thoughts on brand new vs. 2nd hand camshaft? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    a running engine will add value to it. if this used camshaft is mint then i would use that. if its at all scored forget it. dont forget to get down to a dealer and get all new bolts for it though that hold the cam down. they are stretch bolts and you should not reuse them. whichever route you take, you need to change your oil a bit more regularly and use the right stuff for a pd engine. 505.01 or 507 is what you need.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: Thoughts on brand new vs. 2nd hand camshaft? 
    Jonny88 Guest
    Oh yeah there's no doubt about that, it's just whether a brand new camshaft will add enough value to it compared to a 2nd hand one to justify the additional cost?? I haven't got the time to do the work so the garage who have looked after the car for the last 4 years are doing it (they are good guys). They're ambivalent about new vs. 2nd hand - it's whether I want to spend the money or not. That's why I asked for opinions.

I have changed the oil every 5k since 80k and always use the Quantum Platinum 5w40 stuff. As I understand it, regular oil changes will only help lengthen the life of the camshaft, not prevent failure completely, especially as these engines are known for this problem. In the past I have read about the now not so elusive "PD 150 chocolate camshaft" and have just hoped that it wouldn't happen to me but it seems I'm out of luck. Now I just have to decide on the most sensible course of action.

0 0 0

4. Re: Thoughts on brand new vs. 2nd hand camshaft? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    find out how much a new camshaft actually is, and how much less the second hand one is? Also, how much the labour is going to be to replace it. How much warrenty will your garage give you IF the part is brand new? I am thinking if it goes and you take it back to the garage saying 'they didnt fit it correctly' they will turn round and say 'it must have been the second hand part.

0 0 0

5. Re: Thoughts on brand new vs. 2nd hand camshaft? 
    Jonny88 Guest
    Can't remember the exact figures but the new camshaft was roughly £480 ish (the parts quote (not including labour) for "cylinder head rebuild with new camshaft" is £650). He said a 2nd hand camshaft would be £350 ish less. Labour has been quoted at exactly the same for new vs. old camshaft so no difference there. I imagine there will not be any more warranty provided than the manufacturers standard warranty for the new one, and obviously no warranty at all on the 2nd hand part.

I'm not sure that the presumption that the garage may not fit the part properly, is the right way to approach this. I'm more interested in the simple pros, cons and risks of a new camshaft vs. a 2nd hand one that's done 70k. I.e if it's a stupid idea to put a 2nd hand one in, then I won't go near it. However, if it's a perfectly sensible thing to do, provided the 2nd hand camshaft is in good condition, then I'll go for it. My issue, as far as my knowledge goes, is that it's very difficult to judge the true mechanical quality of a part as important as a camshaft without the use of an electron microscope and a materials scientist.

I'm just looking for honest opinions.

0 0 0

6. Re: Thoughts on brand new vs. 2nd hand camshaft? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    if you are buying the second hand part off of ebay and their feedback is 100%, shop ran business, and make your won conclusion from that. I would wait for someone with more technical knowledge than me to give you a better answer tho!!!

0 0 0

7. Re: Thoughts on brand new vs. 2nd hand camshaft? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    sorry mate, wasn't trying to imply you don't look after your motor, but what a shame for the cam to go at this mileage, which is often down to wrong oil or missed changes. anyway, looking at this used cam, they wear on the lobes as these are under most stress, so if the lobes are smooth and round with no scoring or pitting and the metal looks the same as the opposite side to the lobe, then theres a good chance its ok. the case hardening on them is only really thin and when this has gone they wear very quick. a finger is better than the eye to test them though, nice and smooth.

0 0 0

8. Re: Thoughts on brand new vs. 2nd hand camshaft? 
    Jonny88 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff eeles View Post
    if you are buying the second hand part off of ebay and their feedback is 100%, shop ran business, and make your won conclusion from that. I would wait for someone with more technical knowledge than me to give you a better answer tho!!!
    The 2nd hand part was suggested by my mechanic. It's his contact not mine. I would never had considered the 2nd hand camshaft had he not mentioned it. He's obvisouly far better qualified to examine the quality of the part than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    sorry mate, wasn't trying to imply you don't look after your motor, but what a shame for the cam to go at this mileage, which is often down to wrong oil or missed changes. anyway, looking at this used cam, they wear on the lobes as these are under most stress, so if the lobes are smooth and round with no scoring or pitting and the metal looks the same as the opposite side to the lobe, then theres a good chance its ok. the case hardening on them is only really thin and when this has gone they wear very quick. a finger is better than the eye to test them though, nice and smooth.
    No worries mate, I know. I would be lying if I said I drove the car conservatively as well, which has probably done nothing except accelerate the wear on the camshaft. Thanks for that info. The mechanic is the guy who's going to look at it and as he's in a far better position than I am to comment on the quality of the 2nd hand camshaft, I'm going to trust his judgement.

From a resale value point of view, is the 2nd hand vs. new camshaft going to affect the value of the car much or is it pretty irrelevant?

0 0 0

9. Re: Thoughts on brand new vs. 2nd hand camshaft? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    its a golf with 150 bhp and gti after its name. you should be able to drive it flat out everywhere you go and expect more than 100k out of it before it goes bang ( as long as its serviced )
    new or used, i doubt it would affect the value much. they are very desirable cars and it doesn't sound like you are going to sell it tomorrow. yes it might put some buyers off and not others.

0 0 0

10. Re: Thoughts on brand new vs. 2nd hand camshaft? 
    Jonny88 Guest
    Yes, that's true. Thanks for that. Decided to go with the new camshaft in the end, better safe than sorry!

1 0 0