1. A6 Avant on winter tyres...verdict 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, it dropped 5 inches of snow in Berkshire and I am pleased to say my winter tyres were the absolute nuts in the snow.

Last year, could not get the car off the driveway. When I eventually got out in the ice/snow/slush, had to turn ASR off at junctions just to get moving. That and the ABS would come on the moment I touched the brakes meant I was really miffed about having such an expensive sled. MY wifes golf was way better.

This year, no traction light, no wheel spin and certainly no abs, no matter how much I mucked about. The Audi was more sure footed that the Golf by a mile (though to be fair, Golf had normal tyres on).

I just cannot believe the difference...converted forever. If you don't have a quattro, and you can find space and expense for winter tyres, you won;t regret it.

1 1 0

2. Re: A6 Avant on winter tyres...verdict 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Exactly, they are not just there for snow but for the mushy stuff and increased rain fall, mud etc.

I know we don't get much of the heavy stuff but they are great in it and yes It's another set of tyres to buy but each set lasts twice as long so it evens out if you can afford it.

1 0 0

3. Re: A6 Avant on winter tyres...verdict 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have also had winter tyres on this year (Sotto zero on back and Vredestein Wintrac on front) of my 2WD 2.0D saloon. Very good indeed, and not just in the snow. Cold morning etc, they are just more sure footed.

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 Avant on winter tyres...verdict 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I'm in the Czech republic at the moment for a couple of weeks with the A6 and just wanted to give my opinions of winter tyres and specifically the ones I have on the car at the moment.

Firstly over here, they are mandatory between November and end of March.

As you can imagine, the weather over here is considerably more harsh than it is in the UK, infact, sisnce I've been here, the temperature has not risen above -12C and at night that drops to around -22. (We're in the eastern part of the country and not in a town so its really bloody cold!).
    One problem I hadnt thought about was diesel waxing.....below -15C there are big problems with the diesel turning to sludge and blocking the fuel system/filters etc. Fortunately the father in law recommended a 60 cetane fuel (regular is 53-55) and this stops waxing down to -26C!

Anyway, on to tyres. I've been over here a few times in winter now and used a couple of different types of tyre. The first were Nokians (not on the Audi but my previous car, Citroen C44 Grand Picasso) and they were very good indeed. Cost around £500. Downside was very noticeable wear....in about 3000 miles 3mm wear!

So, this time I did something I swore never to do...and that is buy some cheapo Nankang SV-1 winter tyres. I know, I know.....but they were £200 virtually new off fleabay....couldnt resist and thought I'd give em a go! I am surprised....they are actually very very good. In the cold they grip extremely well, admittedly is been very dry because of the temperature.
    It started to snow yesterday so decided to go out and have a play. On compacted snow they behave exceptionally well indeed, the only time I managed to get the ESP to kick-in was going up a steep hill, but thats to be expected.
    Over here they dont salt the roads; salt water refreezes at around -7C so would be useless. They instead just put a course gravel down on top of the compacted snow so it actually is a reasonably decent surface to drive on. Obviously the main roads are cleared by snowploughs.
    Overall the tyres are great and I WOULD buy them again.
    The car has behaved impeccably in the very cold climate although it does take an age for the engine to reach temperature. It nice to have some decent low gear traction with the diesel; something I missed with the semi-auto petrol Citroen.
    The only slightly annoying thing I've found is the heated windscreen washer jets.....they're crap! Doesnt stop the rest of the system freezing does it??!! So Opie oils sell a Millers windscreen wash good down to -44C..... suffice it to say...it works!

Neil

1 0 0

5. Re: A6 Avant on winter tyres...verdict 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks for the write-up..

If the weather gets really bad here, I may get some cheap rims and snow tyres.. if the budget ones are good enough for the enviroment you're in.. I'm sure they're good enough for here!

Cheers
    Toff.

PS: Yearsago when I bought an S6.. I wondered why the back end kep on stepping out at roundabouts (despite the Quattro)... turns out the car had been fitted with winter tyres on the back in July when they sold it to me! Apprently it's a trick some car dealers use for cars with massive rims.. much cheaper than standard tyres.
    [ My Cars: 2011 Caravelle SE TDI (140) LWB | 2015 L200 Barbarian 2.4 DI-D | 2015 Mini Cooper SD ]
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0
    V6 TDI Qttr | A4 3.0 TDI Qttr S-Line | S6 4.2 Qttr | A4 2.5 V6 TDI Qttr Sport | A4 1.9 TDI Qttr S-Line | A4 SE 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant | 2.0 TFSI Roadster ]
    [ Past VWs: Mk1 GTI Cab | Mk3 2.0 Cab |
    Mk3 VR6 | Mk4 R32 | Mk4 V6 MoFo | Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI| Mk4 Supercharged 2.0 6-speed | VW Touran 2.0 TDI DSG ]

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 Avant on winter tyres...verdict 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    IMAG0438.jpgIMAG0436.jpgIMAG0431.jpg

Here are some pictures.....chilly!!

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 Avant on winter tyres...verdict 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheapo winter tyres on old rims from ebay are the only way in winter. my 3.0 Quattro would not get off the drive in the snow, quick wheel swap and it will go anywhere! I even beat the 4x4's out now! Much safer, more fun, no concern about wheel damage from salt, reasons to do it are endless!!

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 Avant on winter tyres...verdict 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I've got a set of alloys with conti winter contacts on in the garage, swap the full set of wheels in November, the difference is incredible. Literally it made my car turn from a useless lump of metal that I couldn't get off the drive to a 4x4 equivalent.....Brilliant.
    A6 C7 Allroad 3.0 TDI Biturbo, Oolong Grey, Exclusive Carpets, Exclusive Inlays, Exclusive Leather Sports Seats, Panoramic Roof, 4 Way Climate and 4 Heated Seats, Sports Steering Wheel, Memory Seats, Bose, Cruise, Auto Dimming Folding Mirrors, Blinds, Heat Insulating Privacy Glass, PDC Front and Rear, Rear Camera, Phone Prep High, MMI High, Auto Key, Power Boot, Rear Seat Entertainment Screens, Foldaway Tow Bar, Storage/Luggage Packs.

0 0 0