Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Parking Brake Fault.... Not the motor!

1. Parking Brake Fault.... Not the motor! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, having a couple of problems with my Passat at the moment, Overall a very reliable example, but the handbrake has really got on my nerves.

Had a problem with the right hand side EPB motor about a month ago, diagnosed through VCDS. Money was tight so ordered an aftermarket-supplied TRW motor last week. Fitted it today with the correct procedure. Forgot to auto-scan first. Result: Still no handbrake on right hand side (left works as normal - but MIL light and beeping on dash all the time)

These 2 codes came up:

02435 Supply voltage for control module for right channel

Can't seem to find much about this code online, can't post any scan as was a friend's laptop used earlier.

And:

02443 - Control Head: Implausible Signal

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/02443

Seems maybe the button could be at fault. Will replace this tomorrow if I can get hold of the button at the dealer's. Fingers crossed it is just the button.

Anybody able to shed any more light on either of these as it's got me worried now, and have sweet F all money left to fix it, and due NCT (MOT) test in six weeks.

And the airbag light is on too the joys!

Sam

0 0 0

2. Re: Parking Brake Fault.... Not the motor! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    How was the new caliper and epb fitted. It is not a good idea to just dump a new one on. You need to treat the whole thing as if you are changing the rear pads. Did you use a genuine VCDS for diagnosis and epb instal.. It shouldn't be a button fault, but as that is cheap to change, you may as well try.

0 0 0

3. Re: Parking Brake Fault.... Not the motor! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1810 View Post
    How was the new caliper and epb fitted. It is not a good idea to just dump a new one on. You need to treat the whole thing as if you are changing the rear pads. Did you use a genuine VCDS for diagnosis and epb instal.. It shouldn't be a button fault, but as that is cheap to change, you may as well try.
    Hi Martin, full genuine latest VCDS was used, correct procedure (007 group wind out, fit motor, 006 group wind in, 010 function test). Fitted new latest part revision button from VW this morning, hasn't cured the problem.

Sam

0 0 0

4. Re: Parking Brake Fault.... Not the motor! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Silly question first. Are you sure you fitted the right motor. The newer ones have a different connector so you can't really get it wrong, but I have to ask.
    I would try measuring the epb voltage for each motor. Start with the good one. Piece both epb supply wires with a pin or pointed multimeter probe. Release epb and watch meter. Apply epb and watch meter. Once you see what the good one does. Then test the other one. Don't just disconnect the connector to test voltage. The epb controller won't like it.
    Basically you should get +12v one way (in or out) and -12V the other way. This should confirm if the dodgy epb is getting the correct apply and retract voltage.

0 0 0

5. Re: Parking Brake Fault.... Not the motor! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Silly question first. Are you sure you fitted the right motor. The newer ones have a different connector so you can't really get it wrong, but I have to ask.
    I would try measuring the epb voltage for each motor. Start with the good one. Piece both epb supply wires with a pin or pointed multimeter probe. Release epb and watch meter. Apply epb and watch meter. Once you see what the good one does. Then test the other one. Don't just disconnect the connector to test voltage. The epb controller won't like it.
    Basically you should get +12v one way (in or out) and -12V the other way. This should confirm if the dodgy epb is getting the correct apply and retract voltage.
    Haha no problem yes fitted the right motor, identical to the one that came off, supplied from a company in NI complete with caliper, done on chassis no.

Just clip off the wire junction cover and test for 12v so.

Will do this in the morning and report on the result.

Sam

0 0 0

6. Re: Parking Brake Fault.... Not the motor! 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Airbag light is a fail now as well, disconnect the wires under both seats, then re-connect and have the eml put out and hope it stays out.

As for your brake problem try this, do as you would a new set of pads, VCDS the motors back, and then wind them back in as if you changed the pads, start the job by clearing the codes and have a battery charger connected.

0 0 0

7. Re: Parking Brake Fault.... Not the motor! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSG4ME View Post
    Airbag light is a fail now as well, disconnect the wires under both seats, then re-connect and have the eml put out and hope it stays out.

As for your brake problem try this, do as you would a new set of pads, VCDS the motors back, and then wind them back in as if you changed the pads, start the job by clearing the codes and have a battery charger connected.

Will do this and see how she fares...

Does it need a charger connected...?

Really need to get my own VCDS but can't afford it at the wrong time!

Can't I clear the fault codes on my own now just by disconnecting the battery for half an hour...?

And forgot to say, Martin, Can't find my multimeter reckon somebody's pinched it, can't test them today!

Sam

0 0 0

8. Re: Parking Brake Fault.... Not the motor! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As for the airbag, disconnecting the plugs etc. didn't solve it, as far as I can remember, its the passenger seat igniter that's at fault from VCDS.

0 0 0

9. Re: Parking Brake Fault.... Not the motor! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    On VW's you can only reset the ecu fault codes with VCDS or similar. Disconnecting and reconnecting a connector (especially airbag) often fixes the fault. The light won't go out and stay out until you put it out with a suitable tool like VCDS. If the repair hasn't worked, the light will come back on. Disconnecting the battery will not clear fault codes. You don't need a battery charger connected but VW control units hate it if the battery voltage drops. That's why people often recommend using one. Jump leads to another car will have the same effect.

0 0 0

10. Re: Parking Brake Fault.... Not the motor! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On VW's you can only reset the ecu fault codes with VCDS or similar. Disconnecting and reconnecting a connector (especially airbag) often fixes the fault. The light won't go out and stay out until you put it out with a suitable tool like VCDS. If the repair hasn't worked, the light will come back on. Disconnecting the battery will not clear fault codes. You don't need a battery charger connected but VW control units hate it if the battery voltage drops. That's why people often recommend using one. Jump leads to another car will have the same effect.
    Ah ok I do see... Will try and get her scanned see if that fixes it, boost it off another car while I am at it..

0 0 0