1. Project: Singh's Rocco 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i just bought myself a MK2 Storm in Havanna Brown (84) i believe, paid £600 and its in need of a repair and restore, after doing some research i found some really good advice on looking for rust etc

Alegdly it starts first time and had an engine rebuild before it got sold to my freind and sat on his drive for past 4 years in the great British weather, check the boot at it was extremly damp and signs of rust on wheel arches behind and around body kit. No keys for car so locks need changing,

Bought currently

VW Scirocco Haynes Manual = £17

VW Scirocco Bentley Manual download = £ Free

0 1 0

2. Day 1 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thats my first day of work on the car, took the body skirts off and found my wheel arches are rotted pretty badly, i will attempt to cut and weld new arches made by hand, might try creating flared ones or make originals to but the skirts back on. Not sure yet but i am going to strip the car down to the shell so i can do some cleaning and rust repair and cover it in rust protection. I am a novice but i am wanting to test my skills and knowledge and hope to gain alot more in return. luckly for me i bought the car off a close friend who actually owns a car garage and i am allowed to use it to restore my car. Only going to be finding the time to do this at the weekend so its going to be long project so bare with me and follow closely as i will try to update on a weekly basis.

Recap:
    Front bumper is off. (that took some effort, certain shows that this car is built like a tank, not like these modern day cars)
    Headlights are off.
    Front and side body skirts are off. (revealed alot of rust on wheel arches)
    Bonnet is off
    0 1 0

3. Day 2 part 1 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Beginning of Day 2, its only on 3 axle stands now resting on something more solid other than the wishbones.

Started from the back this time to remove more stuff, so thats the rear lights comming off.

Rear bit of Exhaust snapped off as it was rusted at the exhaust muffler.

Knocking off the exhaust resonator then it falls off.

Trying to prise away exhaust manifold from engine bay.

Turned the exhaust manifold pipe around to get it out.

Exhaust manifold now easily pulled out.

Unplug and unbolted horn assembly.

Screwing off fuel accumulator rubber pipe from metal pipe going towards engine.

Now the fuel is pouring out of the tank, was not sure how much was in it.

Attach pipe to petrol tank pipe to syphon off petrol.

Syphon off the petrol, must of had a good 4 litres.

This is the fuel pump and fuel accumulator comming off together.

Couldnt think of what next to do so i drained the engine oil.

Taking passenger side rear wheel off.

Passenger side rear wheel off.

Front end currently.

Passenger side wheel arch rust, dont know how i am going to plug this hole.

Passenger side skirt under door, rusty hole which i think is where the body kit skirt is meant ot secure to.

Passenger side back body panel near rear wheel arch.

Rear end currently, i quite like this as it is, looks very racey, redirecting exhaust pipes throught the bumper bracket would look awesome.

Fuel filler neck was rusted and out now.

Fuel tank with no fuel filler neck.

Where the fuel pump and accumulator was.

Metal Fuel pipes going to engine hanging which are completely rusted and useless.

The rusted exhaust, see the snapped off Muffler now removed.

clearer picture of where the exhaust was.

Again where Exhaust was and the gearbox linkage.

Empty area under boot where the Muffler was.

Backend of the car currently.
    0 1 0

4. Day 2 part 2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Front of the car currently.
    1 0 0

5. Day 3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hand Brake assembly current condition, Shoes look newish and drums just need cleaning and cable in good condition.

Rear axle off at 1st angle.

Rear axle off at 2nd angle.

Passenger side view.

Passenger side rear wheel arch.

Passenger side rear wheel arch rust.

Passenger side rear wheel arch rusted away.

Drivers side rear wheel arch rusted away.

Fuel cap from inside

Nice and clean under where the fuel tank was, just like it came out of the factory. Surprisingly enough that there was still fuel in the tank sloshing about but was not able to get it put, it was just trickling out but there was loads still in there so just left it.

Another view.

Passenger side rear axle mount rust.

More passenger side rear axles mount rust.

Even more of that passenger side rear axles mount rust.

need i say more about passenger side rear axles mount rust.

View of under car from the back.

The rat of a hole on driver side rear axle mount.

And again.

Another angle.

Driver side wheel arch rust.

Driver side wheel arch rust again.

Current look of car from the front.

Had to cut off the brake lines to remove axle. will make new ones.

Wishbone nuts comming off.

Current view of the front.

Wishbone nuts are off.

Recap:
    Rear Wheel bearings off.
    Brake Drums of rear wheels off.
    Undid the handbrake cables.
    Cut the brake lines.
    Unscrew the suspension and axle off mounts.
    Fuel Breather pipes off and fuel level sensor (i think, some electrical thing plugged into tank) now unplugged from tank.
    Tank removed.
    Removed remaining parts of Brake pipes from the rear of the car.
    making start on removing the front wishbones then steering rack.
    1 0 0

6. Day 4 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Up in the air still started working on removing the engine.

Front view and taking off the discs & calipers

Discs & Calipers off now.

Its back on the ground now after a long time up in the air, pretty much unplugged the engine from the rest of the car and needed to lower it. we couldnt do any more work on removing the engine without help so started on the interior.
    Oh and if your woundering i have a twin brother its not camera trickery. :lol:

Just chilling in the car, Are we heck we are ripping the Dash apart, no i mean gently removing parts from the dash.

Look How much i got out from just my side of the car. Way to much plastic in this car, it will be put back in at a later stage but i want to see how it runs with bare minimum and not all the extra weight.

Passenger side door, looks pretty good considering its age.

Passenger side under the Dash. spaghetti junction at the moment and its scaring me.

Across the seats to the drivers side is a similar story.

Drivers side door is in good condition. Oh also surprised this things got electric windows.

Oh the wires, they scare me but dont wory i have taken pics and vids of where they have come from.

between this point the camera batter was dead and not plugged in anywhere and we managed to lift the car using the box sextion steel pipes it was sitting on and a fork lift. lifted it mid height and dropped the engine. I mean quite litterally, we didnt do it on purpose it was semi supported. i will explain that in a minute but we got the front and bottom rear engine mounts off easily, and it was swinging (forward and back) on its side engine brackets. The Passenger engine bracket was unbolted easily but sure wasnt the same story for the drivers side bracket. For some reason it was seized and not even air gun could get off, it didnt help all the weight on just the side brackets and it not being alligned because of the swinging. So "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND" the blow torch, i didnt want to have to do it but it needed to be done so the rubber bush and engine bracket was melted off. The chassis bracket is ok but the engine bracket is horrible and hard to look at :cry: . Then it fell down like 15 cm onto a hydraulic engine table and proceeded to fall on its back off the table onto the floor. its seems ok, just some scuffing on the air intake hole and some little thing snapped off behind it, hopefully its alright but we should be able to get a new air intake manifold (i think its this) if needed.

Empty engine bay.

Empty engine bay from below.

Empty engine bay looking into front passenger corner.

The horrible horrible melted off engine bracket :cry:. Should be fixable.

Empty engine bay looking into front drivers side.

The scorched symbol, the side where the bracket was.

The scorched chassis engine bracket.

The radiator & air filter off.

The car currently with major bits under the car.

A used passenger side wing in better condition than mine for £15 from STK German Spares also known as and more updated on ebay is Dubs R Us

A bit of repairable rust on the wing.

A nice white bonnet so i can tinker with, i dont want to ruin the orginal for £35 from STK German Spares also known as and more updated on ebay is Dubs R Us

The un noticed VW emblem on the white bonnet that i dont have on my Storm (i believe).
    0 0 0

7. Day 5 part 1 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Driver side Wing comming off and what the hell is that flippin stupid glue or rubber sticking it to the car :x it bloody took us 40 min to figure out how to prise the damn panel off the car.

You can see the residue left from that stupid Glue / Rubber crap and the end result.

Passenger side Wing took half the time once we got the idea.

Steering Rack off but only after finding you have to actually remove the bolt that actually stops its comming out and is not only there to tighten it.

Forklift time :thumbup: , absolutely nothing to do under the car, because its all off.

Oh and its me operating it because lets say Bro is better at stabilizing the car than driving a forklift. :lol:

Those Truck / Coach stands are coming away, the cars loved being so high like a monster truck i swear.

Dont worry we wont drop you, i would dare :silent:

Come on your coming down.

Get on the floor!!! :P

Wipers off.

Start inside now.

Driver seat out.

Passenger seat out.

Look at the space.

Dash was already half disconnected and unscrewed but out now.

Is this what it really would of looked like in the factory. :|

Get those wires out the way.

Look at those wires, scary!!!

Blowers been dropped and the pipes from the engine bay pushed through.

Remove that damp stinky carpet. :sick:

Some progress.

The interior outside.

The Rest.
    0 1 0

8. Day 5 part 2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So currently looks likes this.

1 0 0

9. Day 6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rear number plate & plate holder removed.

Car tilted back after all the weight was over the pivot point so the car nose was in the air. :lol:

Me relaxing, NOT we just removed the rear speakers and the carpets covering the shelfs.

Rear passenger window kicked out, dont worry it was prised out first and a little pressure needed from my foot.

Rear driver window came out with less force we made sure teh window seals are not damaged in the process.

Remember i said the car had been sat in the rain for 4 odd years, well it turns out after trying to remove the boot that you have to take out some of the roof lining to access the boot bolts. That was the only way we could see or access any bolts to get the boot lid off, so started cutting up the roof lining and the 4 years of rain had been soaked into the roof lining foam. so decided to remove it all and found it was secured in by the windows so took the windows out then could really get the lining off. As you can see the leather lining goes over the window edge and the window sits ontop of that. We abandoned removing the boot because we cant find an easy way of disconnecting the wires that run into it from both sides, can anybody help :?:.

We but some wooden block at the back of the car to stop it tilting back with excessive weight and doing that see saw thing. Driver door removed easily.

We nearly rounded the nuts on the passenger door hinges, thats how much force we had to use on it, bit of wiggling, swinging of the door and WD40 and the nuts unscrewed. :thumbup:

Run out of things to do on the car without superivision so back to the boot and remove the spoiler and all the nuts apart from 1 came off, we used so much force with the screw driver to unscrew it. got harder and harder to uncrew, used mold grips which tested our strength to get a grip on that damn screw. the mold grip moved it fractions until it actually snapped off the welded nut on the other side of the bracket so it was just spinning attached to the nut so had to get the grinder out. :crazy:

Rear passenger interior wheel arch cover removed which was all nice and new beneath.

Different story on the rear driver side wheel arch. Oh the rust, i going to faint.

closer look at those rabbit holes. :x

Not happy but it will be repairable i hope. rob:

No Comment. :***:

Can see the wheel arch rust from inside.

Oh God Why?

Its like an earth quake that tore a fault line all the way to the back of the car.

So currently, we had to put the stuff back in the car because we havent much room to put the parts as it is a working garage.

It made sense to put the tank in the engine bay.

1 0 0

10. Re: Day 6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Damn.. serious Kudos to you my friend What are your plans with it?

Look forward to seeing the progress
    mk5 GTI - gone!
    Now enjoying Scirocco R - Love you long time
    VAGCOM help available in the Manchester area - just ask if you need it
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast