1. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Andy. I just went and checked and when starting the car the error light does come on briefly. I was also able to get it to go to level to level 3 and 4 without any error lights.

0 0 0

2. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Budgeezer View Post
    Thanks Andy. I just went and checked and when starting the car the error light does come on briefly. I was also able to get it to go to level to level 3 and 4 without any error lights.
    ok so it all seems to work ok for now, the only issue you have is the pump seems to run often, yes?, is it slow to lift a level say more than 1-2 mins?), if so a refurb kit will get it lifting quicker and should stop the compressor cycling as much to top up the air, if unsure you could do with a VCDS scan to check for codes stored and check the measuring blocks for the pressure in the system.

lets also see if it sinks parked overnight at level 1 to check for leaks, no 1 sign to weaken a compressor

Regards

Andy
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

0 0 0

3. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpipingandy View Post
    ok so it all seems to work ok for now, the only issue you have is the pump seems to run often, yes?, is it slow to lift a level say more than 1-2 mins?), if so a refurb kit will get it lifting quicker and should stop the compressor cycling as much to top up the air, if unsure you could do with a VCDS scan to check for codes stored and check the measuring blocks for the pressure in the system.

lets also see if it sinks parked overnight at level 1 to check for leaks, no 1 sign to weaken a compressor

Regards

Andy
    Correct the system is working, it is just that the compressor is running more than it ever has. It takes about 1 minute to adjust to a higher level. I will park it in level 1 tonight and report back tomorrow. Again thanks for your expertise. I had a scan done the other day and it was showing that there was not enough pressure in the system, they suggested a new compressor which was $575 plus install.

0 0 0

4. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Ok so you have had it scanned and they came up with low pressure, which points to the comressor, if there were no other codes then my refurb kit (or a new compressor should you prefer) is the thing to try next,
    it cannot be that bad as it lifts through the levels but a new kit will refurbish it and get it working again like it should

regards

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

1 0 0

5. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I've just ordered Andy's compressor kit for my 05 Allroad 4.2 with 99K on the clock. The compressor is a bit slow but fine with no faults but I do have a leaking front O/S air spring, which I will be getting replaced shortly with an Arnott unit. Does anyone know how long I should expect the labour time to be to replace just the air spring? I will do the compressor kit myself. Thanks, Andrew.

0 0 0

6. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteyAR View Post
    Hi, I've just ordered Andy's compressor kit for my 05 Allroad 4.2 with 99K on the clock. The compressor is a bit slow but fine with no faults but I do have a leaking front O/S air spring, which I will be getting replaced shortly with an Arnott unit. Does anyone know how long I should expect the labour time to be to replace just the air spring? I will do the compressor kit myself. Thanks, Andrew.
    Hi, the last 2 years I have replaced both front air bags as the car was dropping more and more. The leaky side that little bit lower. The compressor has been noisy since the first bag was changed and has recently got a lot worse, struggling to maintain level 1 then timing out. Today I changed the compressor ring and WOW , it raises like never before. First time on level 3 for a year or so and quiet. Get an upper arm pinch bolt from Audi before starting the bag job as its a bugger to get out and you will probably damage the old one and the job should take 1 to 2 hrs depending on facilities and ease of which the above bolt comes out ! The compressor again 1 hr if all bolts undo ok, the cover plate bolts I had to cut off and when I replaced it i used self tappers and the two compressor bolts were really tight , careful. Good luck and well worth doing . Mark.

0 0 0

7. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fabulous way to fix the noisy motor, If i get mine running again (see my thread) i might get one for the garage, as a spare ready for when the next thing goes wrong.

0 0 0

8. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys, I've just acquired an allroad, 2002 model with 135K km on the clock.

I've read this thread, and a bunch of others; I'd be grateful for some online diagnosis now :-)

Sometimes, the air compressor lifts the car to level 2. Other times, after putting the key in the ignition, it can't (orange light on dash; blinking green low setting light).

Where it has lifted the car, by next morning the rear end has sagged right down (bump stops). But there is still plenty of room at the front between the wheel and the wheel arch.

From the symptoms, does it sound like the problem is a leak with one or both of the rear air bags? And that the front ones are fine?

The closest dealer is 150km away, so I can't check for codes. If there is a good chance the problem would be fixed by a pair of arnott rears, I'd consider buying a pair to take with me to have them fit.

If the leak isn't in the rear airbags, what is the next most likely fix? N111 solenoid valve(s)?

If I can get it to lift again, I'll try to observe whether the left rear or right rear deflates first; hopefully with some soapy water. But right now, I'm not confident the car will lift to level 1 or 2 again :-(

Once I'm confident of a fix for the leak, I'll buy Andy's kit. Otherwise, I think I'll get the Blauparts conversion kit, though that would be a bit of a pity.

thanks .. Jason

0 0 0

9. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Hi, it sounds like air bags leaking but you can perform some checks 1st to help you prove or disprove,

can you park the car high, say at level 3 or 4?, if it doesnt sink at level 3 or 4 but sinks at level 1 this again points to the airbags, if it sinks all the time at any level it could be a o-ring seal or sensor,

also: park at level 1 in "jack mode" (press and hold up and down arrow for 5+ secs) this will disable the electrics and again if it sinks overnight it is an air leak not a sensor-electrical issue, and whatever corner is on the bump stops has the leak. (hopefully only 1 corner!!)

to finally prove a leak (if the above works):

gets lots of soapy water, jack up and rub all over the suspect airbags, then and park at level 1 then jack up and look for bubbles, bubbles = leaks but check where the bubbles are, if the rubber air bag then it needs changed, sometimes the rears leak around the shock.

the flashing light is the car telling you it is lower than level 1 (obvious!! as it is on the bump stops) it will try to lift it for 2 mins, some times it will succeed, other times you may need to turn ignition off and on again straight away to get it to build up enough pressure (repair kit to fix this !! )

to protect the lifetime of the compressor try to drive at 2 & 3 as if a leak it will make your compressor work hard when driving at level 1, if a leak can be proved fix ASAP

best regards

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

10. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Andy for your quick and useful reply.

I got it up to level 4 :-)

some times it will succeed, other times you may need to turn ignition off and on again straight away to get it to build up enough pressure (repair kit to fix this !! )
    I had to turn the ignition off and on again maybe three times to reach level 1, then once or twice for each succeeding level! But got there in the end...

Needless to say I've ordered the repair kit :-)

can you park the car high, say at level 3 or 4?, if it doesnt sink at level 3 or 4 but sinks at level 1 this again points to the airbags, if it sinks all the time at any level it could be a o-ring seal or sensor,
    I parked it on level 4, and after 6 hours, it had sunk to a reported level 3. I measured 1cm height lost at the front wheel arch, and 3 or 4 cm at the rear (which is a bit more lower than what I measured when it was at level 3, six hours earlier).

I'm proceeding with your other suggested tests, but in the meantime does that change over 6 hours suggest anything?

gets lots of soapy water, jack up and rub all over the suspect airbags, then and park at level 1 then jack up and look for bubbles, bubbles = leaks but check where the bubbles are, if the rubber air bag then it needs changed, sometimes the rears leak around the shock.
    Are you aware of a video, or a detailed explanation of this procedure somewhere on the net? To test a rear wheel air bag, I assume I need to remove the wheel; but if I do that, there's no weight on that corner air bag, but I guess the pressure inside it is still enough for any leak to bubble...

thanks .. Jason

0 0 0

Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast