Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Allroad or 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Allroad or 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'm new - first post so apologies if this is old ground - if it is, please point me in the right direction!

I have a 2002 A6 1.9 TDi Avant, re-mapped to 180-BHP. It's factory lowered on Audi Sport suspension - red dampers apparently, bla bla. It's great, handles well and really goes but, I need to tow my caravan with it, which it's ok at but I think a 2.5 TDi and 4x4 would be better and happier.

Trouble is, trying to find a good one! It's far easier to find an Allroad - love them but I'm put off a bit by the air suspension and potential problems. A friends got one and had it converted to coilover. I'm not scared of maitenance - I've built a few hot rods etc before - hence my user name! Just not looking to spend time repairing my tow car rather than building something V8 and quick!

Question is then - As title, should I keep looking for a Quattro Avant or buy an Allroad? Any adice would be greatly received!

And, manual or auto? - Prefer a manual but quite fancy an auto too!

Many thanks,
    Cheers,
    Jon

0 0 0

2. Re: Allroad or 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I would not worry about the air suspension. I have had a 2002 Allroad AKE Automatic since new. 4 years ago I had to replace the rear offside self-levelling sender - very easy job. Two years ago I replaced the two front air bags. Again very easy job - just the pinch bolt is a pia to get off. Air compressor replaced 2008, 2010, 2015 and 20016 - apparently I am unlucky here but at least replacement is easy.
    Pocket is protected by using BagpipingAndy (member of this forum) rather than Audi dealer for parts.
    Allroad has done 199k miles and gearbox has never misbehaved - not has it been touched (no ATF changed either).
    What you do need is full VCDS to diagnose faults. GET THIS BEFORE YOU BUY AND RUN DIAGNOSTICS FIRST ON THE ALLROAD BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY OFFER.

0 0 0

3. Re: Allroad or 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Many thanks for this - looks like there's a few similar posts before, which I obviously need to go through! Good there's support on here though, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ceilidhalfie View Post
    I would not worry about the air suspension. I have had a 2002 Allroad AKE Automatic since new. 4 years ago I had to replace the rear offside self-levelling sender - very easy job. Two years ago I replaced the two front air bags. Again very easy job - just the pinch bolt is a pia to get off. Air compressor replaced 2008, 2010, 2015 and 20016 - apparently I am unlucky here but at least replacement is easy.
    Pocket is protected by using BagpipingAndy (member of this forum) rather than Audi dealer for parts.
    Allroad has done 199k miles and gearbox has never misbehaved - not has it been touched (no ATF changed either).
    What you do need is full VCDS to diagnose faults. GET THIS BEFORE YOU BUY AND RUN DIAGNOSTICS FIRST ON THE ALLROAD BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY OFFER.

0 0 0

4. Re: Allroad or 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Went and looked at what seemed a gorgeous Silver Allroad yesterday - travelled a long way to see it - was what I wanted; a manual - lovely clean car.....

But there were issues - worst was, when you revved the engine under no load, there was a rasping noise just after the turbo kicked in - sounded like bearings???
    There's been a serious oil leak - the whole of the exhaust was covered in black oil - but the dealer who wouldn't leave me alone - kept diverting my attention eg: look at the sat nav and it's very clean isn't it etc - got on my thrupennys a bit.. - he said the oil leak had been traced to a faulty filter gasket and showed me a receipt that the problem had been fixed. Dipping the oil, it was way too clean though - like brand new hmm....

At 70-80 there was a vibration off the front suspension - he reckoned it was a wheel weight - tyres were well over jizzed - loads of tyre paint!

Fuel leak around the filter too

And - as this is the first I've looked at - how fast is the air suspension to raise and lower? It took ages from one level to the other and you had to rev it a bit to get it to go up. However, once up it stayed there for ages......

He said he wasn't prepared to get the turbo rasping noise investigated so, as the car was top, top money, I walked away - shame cos it was lovely.....

I then went and looked at a normal A6 avant Quattro 2.5 TDi 6-speed manual - considerably less money admittedly - it was minging - bloke hadn't even washed it and it was filthy inside. Way too many scrapes and rust patches too so I walked.....

The search continues but it ain't easy!

0 0 0

5. Re: Allroad or 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    I wouldn't bother , a 1.9 is a perfect tower with it's torque and especially since the remap you don't pull a caravan all the time , you are trying to source a vehicle more suited to 5% of its use .

Less mpg , air suspension issues , chocolate cams and failed fuel pumps , no ta .

0 0 0

6. Re: Allroad or 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ta! Caravan's on the high end of the weight limit - just felt very nervous but that's probably weight distribution - it was ok but not what I'd call happy.
    My B5.5 TDi Sport Passat with a lighter caravan didn't even know it was there but this is heavier - an Abbey 418 GTS - and the A6 certainly knows it's there!

0 0 0

7. Re: Allroad or 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    Ok lets get the whole caravan debacle into perspective .

0 0 0

8. Re: Allroad or 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well that's helpful - thanks!

0 0 0

9. Re: Allroad or 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 302cortinawagon View Post
    And - as this is the first I've looked at - how fast is the air suspension to raise and lower? It took ages from one level to the other and you had to rev it a bit to get it to go up. However, once up it stayed there for ages......
    The suspension on mine never took more than about 50 seconds to raise from one level to the next. Often less, but never more.

No revving required.

Level two to three would normally be achieved by using the air in the accumulator tank, but anything higher - or any further attempts - mean that the compressor will kick in.

If it takes longer than two minutes, the suspension warning light will come on and the compressor will stop trying while it gets its breath back.

Most often this is down to the compressor's piston ring being worn. I replaced the ring on mine a few years ago (mainly as a precaution) with one supplied by Bagpipingandy of this parish. There was a modest improvement in the speed at which it raised which was more than enough to justify the piddly amount it cost, and if something else went wrong in the suspension dept., I had the comfort of knowing that it wasn't the compressor's fault.

If you've got any questions about allroad suspension, look for Andy's posts. He's a proper whizz at this stuff. There are two current threads on here to which he's the major contributor, and between them they've had getting on for a quarter of a million views.

I'm hopelessly in love with him, as you can probably tell.

As regards the length of time that the suspension remains at a higher level, it should do better than 'for ages'. If everything's ship shape, it should remain there indefinitely.

I had my allroad for nearly 13 years from new, and it was brilliant. Don't let Gazwould put you off. Mine was one of the later ones - a BAU engine - with roller cam followers which weren't prone to what he calls 'chocolate cams'.

They have more than their fair share of quirks and foibles because they're quite complicated, but most of the things that go wrong can be fixed relatively inexpensively*

If you can get a good one - and I appreciate that the more time passes the harder it is to find a good one - you won't regret it.

*Not the injection pump. You just have to hope for the best as far as the injection pump's concerned.

Mine was okay.

0 0 0

10. Re: Allroad or 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ahh, thanks - a reply worth reading!
    Sounds like the one I looked at, I was justified in walking away - took a lot longer than 50-seconds.....

Ages meant indefinitely I think!

I'm a car magazine photgrapher/journalist - the only way to earn a living these days is to do countrywide tours - travel to an area as a base, then work from there, then go home, then repeat etc....
    So I'm kind of using the car/caravan more than the 5 percent Gazwould suggested! Hence it's a bit more important to get the tow car bit right.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast