1. Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Well for some time I, along with other Allroad’rs have been keen to see what actually makes the Allroad suspension compressor tick, well rattle anyway. I have had two dismantled and here are the findings:

1st many thanks to VinPetrol from VWAF who very kindly donated his old compressor which we believe was fitted (badly) by the last owner and had done approx 70K miles. The compressor was manufactured dated 2004. Its symptoms were, it was noisy & poor performance, so what makes it noisy and loose performance…..?
    There are only a few moving parts, rotating motor, crank, piston and some one way valves. In this case the motor is fine no play in shafts, but the piston ring was a loose fit in the cylinder bore, with a lot of side to side play which would result in poor compression and could increase the noise.

In short, I have made a replacement Piston ring made from 25% Carbon graphite PTFE which is the same as the material used on the original, and ideal for these dry running applications. I have one fitted and it is now on trial on my own Allroad, the compression is renewed and now lifts the car much quicker. This is just under trial just now but I am quietly confident this is a good repair for the Allroad giving it a new lease of life. Better than £300-400 for a new air compressor!!

I could manufacture new PTFE rings in kits, if any one would be interested in changing these themselves then let me know. Typical symptoms would be it is very slow to raise through the levels, or even failing to reach a level, & very noisy. Get a fault code first to make sure all sensors & systems are working ok 1st.
    I have had a new piston ring fitted to mine for 3 weeks now, I timed it the other day with car parked raised it from level 1 to 2 took 18 seconds, from level 2 to 3 took 18 seconds, and from level 3 to 4 took 45 seconds, it seems to run even better now than from when it was 1st fitted, I even struggle to hear it running at all .

This Piston ring repair kit may also suit other models I believe this Wabco unit part no 415 403 106 0 and other similar versions, can be found on the Q7, VW Touareg, Merc, BMW, Discovery and others. See wabco list in the PDF document found below.
    I looked into this further & VW actually offer a repair kit for the Touareg compressor consisting of a new piston ring, o-ring seal and bolts. From pictures I have seen, they look the same wabco compressor unit apart from mounting brackets & the drier unit does differ slightly, but I have no evidence if they are actually the same.
    VW also offer a new drier unit part which a few were for sale on E-bay recently but wrongly advertised as for the Allroad. The Touareg has another connection from the drier unit for inflating tyres from the same compressor hence it is not a straight forward fit for the Allroad.

For peoples ref the VW part number, should anyone wish to pursue, is 7L0 698 030 for the Piston repair kit £108+VAT I have no evidence if it is compatible. In my opinion the motor assembly and piston look very, very similar, also the ones offered by Arnott are from wabco & they look the same motor unit, only with different mountings, drier air connections or electrical connections, to suit different models. I may be wrong, I do not wish anyone to follow this info and for it to be wrong. Audi say the piston repair kit is not on offer for the Allroad, and in my opinion the kit was too expensive for me, to only maybe fit.

For a repair kit I was thinking a kit consisting of a new piston ring, new o-ring seal, 2 new bolts, loctite thread lock, tie wraps and a manual to fit it, I was thinking total £35 delivered to your door. I could make this kit available on E-bay or contact me direct to discuss other options.

See PDF for more info and photos of the strip down in more detail Here: C5 Allroad Suspension compressor repair.pdf

Anyway some may find all the above info usefull J, others may not L. All Photos of the compressor in various bits can be found in my albums in my profile, If anyone else knows any other info, or if I have anything incorrect about these compressors it would be great to know more.

Any thoughts on, or any numbers interested in a Repair kit welcomed,

regards

Andy
    Last edited by bagpipingandy; 30-03-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: link removed for parts some reason it doesn't work now :(
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

10 1 0

2. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Andy, this looks to be excellent work on your part. Given my experience with compressor failure on my Allroad, it is an issue always at the back of my mind - even though I would fit it myself, when do I next have to shell out £400 for a new one. At £35, your kit is a no-brainer.
    Only issue I would have is would the kit fix the next problem. My first falure was noisy compressor - still worked but very noisy and Audi recommended replacement. Looks like your kit would have fixed this problem. My second failure was without warning. One morning it was on level 1 and errored when I tried to raise back to normal level 2 or higher. A few hours later it could not maintain level 1 and again errored. I then had to get Audi France to recover and result was yet another new compressor. With this second fault there was no noisy motor and no warning. Does this fault fit into your failure analysis?
    At £35 a kit, I think it would certainly be worth trying. Since I spend half the year in France, it might be worth having your kit in the glove compartment next to the spare bulb kit! How long do you think it will take for you to feel confident about the kit's durability?
    Well done and I for one am VERY interested.

0 0 0

3. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilidhalfie View Post
    Only issue I would have is would the kit fix the next problem. My first falure was noisy compressor - still worked but very noisy and Audi recommended replacement. Looks like your kit would have fixed this problem. My second failure was without warning. One morning it was on level 1 and errored when I tried to raise back to normal level 2 or higher. A few hours later it could not maintain level 1 and again errored. I then had to get Audi France to recover and result was yet another new compressor. With this second fault there was no noisy motor and no warning. Does this fault fit into your failure analysis?
    By the sounds of your second fail this was a valve. leak or electrical issue, difficult to say but not a low compression issue so no a new ring would make sod all improvement, Audi's only option was to change the compressor as they don't take things to bits like us . for example You can buy N111 valves and temp sensors seperate which all fit on to the compressor, i posted the link to a US company in my 1st post but for some reason it didn't work, but i have seen G290 sensors for sale and N111 solenoid valves, again if i had these faulty it would be my preference to buy the single part rather than the whole compressor, however you were stuck in France, and with a warranty on the newly fitted one it was the right thing to do.

As for durability I am confident it is as good as the original, The ring is made of the same material as my original compressor dated 2000, which is Carbon PTFE & is designed for dry running applications. I have done 128,000 miles and i honestly believe my compressor is the original, the dates and condition of it tie in together. My compressor was not on its way out, but it was tired.
    So as long as i have not made any major manufacturing errors i feel it should be good for at least half this. it may take a while for me to do another 120,000 miles, think the cams would give in 1st!! I plan to run it another few weeks and swap it back to my original compressor also with a new ring to allow me to inspect the 1st one to make sure it looks ok, this is about all I can do as then only time will tell. I have 5 kits almost made up and I plan to put them on E-bay very soon. If there is any interest and people do fit them if they can report back here as this would give us all confidence if the parts are as I have described and are a fix for these units.

regards

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

1 0 0

4. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Andy, I see one can buy (for £40) a compressor temp sensor cable on e-Bay. Had a google search but cannot find where one could buy an N111 solenoid valve. Do you have a link for this?
    I had (seriously) thought of carrying a repair kit in the car, but... your kit @ £35, the temp sensor cable @ £40 plus whatever for the N111 solenoid valve. I guess we would be looking at £100+.
    Maybe it is a case of wating for a failure and then source the relevant parts.

0 0 0

5. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilidhalfie View Post
    Andy, I see one can buy (for £40) a compressor temp sensor cable on e-Bay. Had a google search but cannot find where one could buy an N111 solenoid valve. Do you have a link for this?
    I had (seriously) thought of carrying a repair kit in the car, but... your kit @ £35, the temp sensor cable @ £40 plus whatever for the N111 solenoid valve. I guess we would be looking at £100+.
    Maybe it is a case of wating for a failure and then source the relevant parts.
    the link was: http://www.air-suspension-shop.com/ but for some reason the shop has dissappeared, it had al the parts based in the US, i found it only last week and thought it looked usefull, cannot be that good!! it had n111 solenoid valve, G290 temp sensors and full compressors for sale, sure there must be others we will need to keep a look out for them

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

6. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Suspension Compressor Repair Kit available on e-bay, see link for reference should anyone wish to try one:

bagpipingandy | eBay

full refund offered should there be any problems,

regards

Andy
    Last edited by bagpipingandy; 13-09-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

7. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sir

Your repair kit looks as if it might be useful for my problem. Where can I get one? the links are to ebay, but there is nothing about your repair kit there...

Jan

0 0 0

8. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Andy, well done for looking into this, you must have spent ages, wish I had known couple of years ago when i had replaced my compressor ~400 quid....

Would certainly have gone for your repair kit..

Excellent post, good news for the allroaders...

0 0 0

9. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fabulous way to fix the noisy motor, If i get mine running again (see my thread) i might get one for the garage, as a spare ready for when the next thing goes wrong.

0 0 0

10. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I am having an unusual problem regarding my air suspension on my 02 audi allroad c5 2.7t.
    I have replaced the rings on the compressor and fixed the left hand front level sensor.

The suspension is in good nick apart from when it is raised to the top setting the car is lop sided.
    I have calibrated it several times using VCDS but it still does it.
    I have also scanned the control module and nothing comes up.

could it still be the pressure sensor module even though its not giving an error?

cheers

Aaron

0 0 0

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast