Notices

User Tag List

Thread: allroad 'journey' and parking sensor diagnostics (with pictures)

1. allroad 'journey' and parking sensor diagnostics (with pictures) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, I've been overhauling my 05 allroad for a few months, my first one alongside many other VAG-mobiles that I've owned and tinkered with in the past.

After changing an immeasurable amount of components, I'm on a mission to make it 100% fault free ('good luck' I hear you say ) .

Today's problem - wiring.

I'm trying to track down a wiring fault between the PDC module in the boot (smaller brown connector), and the parking sensor wiring loom connector behind the front bumper. I've got 12V at the control unit, which is not making its way to the connector at the front. Measurement taken with the connector disconnected from the bumper (and therefore the front sensors removed from the circuit) .

With reference to the diagram below, it appears to be a straight run - i.e. no other connectors between the bumper and control unit, but i'm not sure if this is the case?

Any knowledge of the actual path the cable takes through the car would be very helpful for me to track this down.

A6 allroad PDC Front.jpgallroad.jpg

Thank you

p.s. how do you upload pics and keep the higher resolution - it's squeezed it down to an unreadable state during upload?
    Attached Images

0 0 0

2. Re: allroad 'journey' and parking sensor diagnostics (with pictures) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Nice looking wip
    Is it a case of the power is shut down on detecting no PDCs? my A6 did this with a faulty tail light i tried to figure out - that gave me the run around for a long time lol
    could you check continuity instead somehow, or power when still connected?

whats your actual fault and do you have codes?
    someone may have been there done that and will be able to help.
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0

3. Re: allroad 'journey' and parking sensor diagnostics (with pictures) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks - I should have given the details up to this point. I Know what you mean about the system shutting off power for other systems! See results below, including when fully connected.

I'm getting consistent codes for both front mid left and front left sensors, open or short to ground: 01628, 01629.
    However, I've changed all 4 front sensors with new sensors, and the cleared the codes, but I still get the same two codes back - and it doesn't work (long high tone beep).

Even when the front sensor loom is disconnected from the connector behind the bumper, I still get the same two codes when cleared down and read again with VCDS.

Power is present at the controller module output for the front sensors, plug 'T12h' (small brown connector), Pins, 2 12V to pin 1 Ground, which on the diagram shows a direct connection to the connector 'T6ap' behind the front bumper.

I've tested the continuity from the relevant plug at the control unit, to the connector behind the bumper - it's open circuit (no continuity) between the back and front, for both power and ground lines. I still get 12V at the T12h connector, when its plugged into the control unit, and all sensors connected - the power is just not seen at the front. Therefore it's not being dragged down by a sensor or wiring in the bumper, it's just not making a connection to the front, which indicates there's a wiring issue somewhere on that harness.

Essentially I have the power going out of the control unit, but it's not reaching the front.

Any idea of the routing path or where to get access to the cable run would be helpful? Looking from the front, I can see it disappearing in the depths of the engine bay/bulkhead but can't find any info on the actual routing.

TIA

A6 allroad PDC Front code.jpg A6 allroad PDC module.jpg

0 0 0

4. Re: allroad 'journey' and parking sensor diagnostics (with pictures) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    sorry i dont, and i know that ELSA and such also dont show this - ETKA may give you a glimpse but nothing detailed
    sounds like some fresh wiring to get you going until you find out as it could be a while.
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0

5. Re: allroad 'journey' and parking sensor diagnostics (with pictures) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, I think you're right - I just need to take the whole car apart (feels like it)! With any luck I may find the cause of the problem in the process.

0 0 0