Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Andy, it's me again!

So... my last attempt showed that the pump does make some a noise but not the one I used to hear previously, it's more like a low rattle now... and doesn't seem to get any air to the front side which is still lying on the bump stops. The rest is as we know it. The lamp stops flashing after some 1,5 - 2 min.
    Being very unhappy I had to drive to the nearest car repair shop yesterday and I left it there for a checkup.
    Today the repairman told me that the pump is out and that I most probably have a leak in the front... oh how I hope one of your piston rings could take care of the pump problem but to be honest I don't believe it anymore. The guy doesn't seem dishonest or something like that, we even talked about comparing prices we have on the parts tomorrow...
    I know you might say that the rattle noise can be just an unfitting ring but it's really barely audible, could it sound so little if it's the piston?

Regards
    Chris

0 0 0

2. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Hi Chris, It is best to check the compressor performance based on pressure not noise, some go really noisy and rattly some not so noisy just loosing pressure everyone's description of noisy is different, but a new compressor can produce 16Bar 220Psi I think the allroad needs at least 110psi to be effective check the pressure output. As before a new ring will renew the performance of the compressor but you need to find why the front doesn't lift, I would be looking for a leak on that corner, find/fix the leak then if the pressure is also low from the compressor you either need a new compressor or a repair kit.
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

0 0 0

3. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as i said there is not enough to change only ring for most compressors, send the pump to Lithuania i will rebuild it as a new, with new cylinder, ring, valves, drain filter and if needed motor, price of complete rebuild 110eur. i can send you a rebuilded one and the old one you can send by cheapest post service. by the way there is some passenger buses going to england and other countries once a week they can transport compressor for 10euro

0 0 0

4. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Find & fix the corner not lifting issues 1st before you buy any compressor "deals" its maybe just the airline has unscrewed!! (maybe not though!!)
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

5. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ...the problem is I'm not a mechanic and although I'm quite handy I have no garage, just an open parking space in the cold and no tools! I have to work through a repair shop to get anything done!
    Andy I hear you, the leak must be found first and for that I guess it's possible to connect to another external pump. It does sound weird that the pump just went out one day!
    Thanks for your offer too Pneumatic but if the pump is badly damaged or worn out, I think I'd better buy a new one, to be sure for the future!
    The same goes for the leak, I mean I think it better to change both front air-springs just in case this happens on the driver side a month or a year from now! Would you suggest differently Andy?

0 0 0

6. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the all air springs is going to be bad someday, not need to change the good one, it may be good lets say for another 30000km or may start leaking in 1 km. after you noticed the car is sinking after an night or hear that compresoor is working to much you cant drive any longer at all! because compressor will be running and trying to lift the car always. by the way i rebuild compressor to condition like new, if i inspect that something is worn out i can change whole parts. but usually the motors not become bad for allroad c5, sometimes need to change bearings and thats all. for a8 the motors fries sometimes because of relay issue.

0 0 0

7. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chololo View Post
    ...the problem is I'm not a mechanic and although I'm quite handy I have no garage, just an open parking space in the cold and no tools! I have to work through a repair shop to get anything done!
    Andy I hear you, the leak must be found first and for that I guess it's possible to connect to another external pump. It does sound weird that the pump just went out one day!
    Thanks for your offer too Pneumatic but if the pump is badly damaged or worn out, I think I'd better buy a new one, to be sure for the future!
    The same goes for the leak, I mean I think it better to change both front air-springs just in case this happens on the driver side a month or a year from now! Would you suggest differently Andy?
    as Pneumatic says I would just change one, the compressor "went out one day" could be the bag torn hence and impossible to inflate, remove the wheel and vissually feel/check the airbag for any holes, baddly perrished areas or anything which could be letting air out, if you can remove the wheel you can inspect the airbag

Is the compressor definetely running? can you feel it and or hear it running

regards

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

8. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the allroad c5 air bags most starts leaking on most drivible possition, usually it is 1st. if you cant inspect by hearing or looking to it, take off the wheel, put some brick under lowerest arm and lay down the car on the brick, then take some sprayer with water and soup mixed, apply sprayer on the whole air bag, then try to lift the car to 1 st position and so on, someone need to look always for bubbles. for other cars u must do different ways, like for a8 or new model of allroad you need to lift the car to hear the leaking because the air bag sits on the leaking hole and it is not leaking as standing and when driving the hole comes to side and starts leaking, and if u lift older allroad to 3rd-4th possition it will not leak at all because the gum is fat and closes hole, if the hole is very big it will leak always but at so big hole it will be hard to lift the car at all

0 0 0

9. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi again to both you guys!

I had been away for a few days, saw your responses but didn't have time and pc to write back!
    I'll just go through last week's events.
    Before leaving I met the mechanic and pressed/asked him if we shouldn't look deeper and check the pump for its output plus lift the car to check for eventual leaks at the front air springs. He was busy at the time and so we decided that I would take the car back, order whichever parts I wanted myself and get back to him once they arrived.
    Getting the car started gave me a relief as I saw it lifting for the first time to almost level one, even if just for a while before sinking again, this time the co-driver's side dragging the back right side with it. (that was last Wednesday)

Yesterday now, the unexpected happened... as was late for work and forced to go by car in whichever condition I realized that it managed to lift it self to 1st position after a couple of km and then pushed it to 2nd and got it up to the magnificent 3rd position!!!
    As it seems the pump wasn't the problem... 1st and 2nd took some time, but 3rd came as easy as before and it hasn't lost a inch since. That's not to say I don't need repairs, just that I feel some relief
    Now, because I'm just getting started with ebay and paypal and it'll take some days before I can make my order. I have decided to follow your lines and change just the right front air spring which surely has a leak.
    The matches I found are these:

1. from Arnott, US Audi Allroad Quattro Front Air Ride Suspension Spring | eBay
    2. from Arnott, Germany Audi A6 4B C5 Allroad Air Suspension Front Spring Strut | eBay

There is a difference in the price if you take shipping costs into account I say and as they are both supposedly from Arnott I would like your opinion! To be honest the cheaper one is attractive as a buy and the other as an image...

Regards Chris

0 0 0

10. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there is no surprise at all that it is standing on 3rd position and not leaking, because with all leaking air bag is the same, the hole is on the place where the air spring is working usualy on 1st position and when it goes to 3 it squeezes it, for that reason i said to check in 1st possition. all clients who buy air springs is told by me to run slow on 3rd position if needed, to reduce possibility to demage compressor, better not to drive at all. i can sell you westar air springs (similar to arnott) 280$ without shipping.
    your compressor will be not good condition too because good compressor no mater hole can lift the car (if the hole is not insane big), but after driving with it, the ring becomes reheated and not touch the cylinder and when it is a little thiner the piston touch the cylinder and demages it

0 0 0

Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast