1. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Sounds like you have a leak you will need to fix, as for the bump stops there are some as with all cars but they are just a last resort to stop the car hitting the deck, also I would imagine the ride would suffer if they were much higher up, with any large imapacting pot holes or other random bumps,

Andy
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

0 0 0

2. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, first post on the forum from a first time AUDI owner, always BMW before.
    I have an allroad 2001 2,7 biturbo with appr. 105k miles on it. When I bought it it sat on level 2 stable, but after 1 week I decided to test the suspension more. Went up to 3 and 4 but took a lot of time, espec. 3-4. I have had the car four weeks now and the function has deteriorated quite a lot under this time. after two weeks It took to level 3 only sporadically, and that after a long time pumping. After 2,5weeks only level 2 (OK to sink the car to L1- it would go up- but again, tok some time, maybe 2-3 min. ) . Now under this last week, it often sinks from L2 to L1 under night, if L2 is pushed in it would go up after 2 or 3 times (after failed raise - level warning light in dash)- turn off ignition and it would go again.
    Now it sits at level 1 constantly, does not rise to L2 at all. No sagging from level 1 under 1 days parking. The compressor seems to go often (like 1-2 times a minute) sometimes while parking.

I have noticed that sometimes after failed rising, the front seemed to sit lower (like L1 front and L2 rear), sometimes the drivers side front has been lower on itself after parking over night.
    The front bags have been replaced in 2006 at about 60k miles(originals) and left rear with Arnott 2011. compressor is original.
    To me it seems like I have leak at least at Left front air spring and probable compressor wear (it is running, sometimes a bit loud). The suspension level varning only lights up after failed raise. Only once I have noticed it lighting under journey after a bump in the road, but at that time it was trying to pump as the L2 light was blinking.

any other suggestions?
    Two air springs + compressor repair kit and valve block to be sure???

Sakke

0 0 0

3. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Hi And welcome to the forum,

No, no need to change all these parts. it is only a repair kit is required, the front lower you see is just the car low on air due to the compressor being weak, if it is a leak it would sink to the bump stops when parked, does it sink all the way to bump stops?
    A tired compressor shows up when trying to lift a level, it tries for 120 seconds then puts the error light on, but ignition off and on the error clears and it tries again, this is exactly a worn compressor which the kit will fix, no need to change the other parts.....for now anyway!!

Kits here : bagpipingandy | eBay

best regards

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

4. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK.
    I just thought that as it sinks over night from seemingly stable L2 to L1, there has to be air escaping somewhere. And the fact that it pumps often when the car stands still at idle with seemingly stable level. And the fact that left front has been down on its own.
    Hard for me to say if it has been on the bump stops, but the L1 light has never blinked and as at L2 there is about 3-4 finger wide space between arc and tire and when sunk down at front maybe 1-2 finger widths Seems to correspond L1.

Best regards
    Sakke

0 0 0

5. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    the car will lower itself from level 2 to level 1 even with no ignition on as it is low on air pressure, it lowers to level 1 venting the air into the storage tank, if a leak it will sink further from level 1 all the way to the bump stops with the wheel inside the wheel arch, it would be obvious, again if a leak level 1 light would flash on ignition on and also the suspension error light in the dash would flash to indicate the car is lower than it should be.

does it show these signs of sinking to bump stops or just to level 1?

regards

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

6. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, never under L1. Sakke

0 0 0

7. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    That is good news, no airbag needed, you need a new compressor or a repair kit it is up to you, I can assure you the repair kit will work OK

best regards

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

8. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It has now happened once that at start when in L1 the compressor started going and the warning light came on after apps. 2mins. switch off and start again, all good, but no going above L1. Actually managed to get the car to L2 today, lets see how long that lasts. Putting an order via ebay on one of your kits as I am pretty handy, and I managed to find a DIY garage with lifts ( it isn`t that attractive to lie under the car in -5 degrees centigrade and snow trying to remowe stuff)

All the best
    Sakke

0 0 0

9. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    yes best to be indoors to change it, good find using the lift , your kit is posted and on its way.
    You can actually change the piston ring without removing the compressor from the car but only if the screws come out easily, this may save you time and money if you are paying to hire the ramp, however if the bolts are tight is can be easier with the whole unit off the car to clean the bolt threads and use plenty of loosening agent, best tip is ENSURE the cylinder is clean before assembly, clean the cylinder with a dry cloth only to make sure no dirt is in there

keep us updated how you get on

best regards

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

10. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes i reckoned it would be possible to just remove the compressor cylinder head with the compressor in place. It is also turned up side down so all the crap will go away from the cylinder when opening?
    Little OT: I thought of changing rear brake discs at the same time, is there any special things to think of /tools needed. I have done this on several BMW:s in all four corners and it has been very simple. Is that the case with AUDI also (I have been left with the impression that AUDI seems to have more service points and is a little less DIY friendly )

All the best
    Sakke

0 0 0

Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast