Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Folks,
    I have what i think is a common fault on my 2001 Seat Inca 1.9 SDi van but after reading through the posts on the forum I've tried a few things but still have no joy.
    I have owned the van since 2005, it has 80K on the clock, is serviced to the book and it has never let me down before.
    Van started acting up a week ago- I stopped to buy fuel and when I went to start it up, it would turn over but wouldn't start. All electrics were working but there was no glowplug light on the dashboard. I pushed it away from the pumps, tried it again, still no joy. I phoned a mate for a tow, went back to van and tried again- glowplug light came on and it started. I drove it home no problem, parked up and tried to restart it but there was no glowplug light and it would turn over but not start.

Since then I have been trying to trace the fault and it always behaves in the same way- if the glowplug light comes on when I turn the key it will start, if no glowplug light, the engine cranks over but it won't start.

I have read several posts on the forum and tried the following:

• Checked the fuses- all OK
    • Checked the battery earths- all OK
    • Checked the connectors at the back of the fuse box in drivers footwell- all OK
    • Checked the connectors at the ECU in D/S scuttle- all OK, no corrosion
    • Checked over the wiring loom in engine bay and in vehicle- all looks OK with no sign of damage or abrasion
    • Checked 12v supply to relay 109- OK
    • Checked operation of relay 109- can hear and feel it clicking when I turn ignition key
    • Replaced relay 109with new VAG item- no change, still won't start
    • Tried to start it with Easy Start- it fired up real rattley and with no throttle response then died as soon as I stopped spraying.
    Can somebody suggest what else can I try?

• Can somebody please explain the series of events that takes place on starting and stopping of engine? ie what relay activates and in what sequence? Also, what the ECU controls and how it might stop the engine starting?
    • Van doesn't have an alarm but I'm not sure if there is an immobiliser- the keys look normal ie no key fob or remote functions built in. I have two keys, neither of which looks like a master key.
    • The injector pump has an electrical connection to it- is it possible that this isn't being energised? How do I test it or bypass it?
    • Where is the stop solenoid located? Is this the connection on the injector pump?
    • Lastly, I have seen people refer to carrying diagnostic tests- where does the equipment hook up to? There is no connection that I can see under the bonnet.
    Thanks in advance for your help, I realise that this is a popular subject and I have tried to fault find using previous posts but I'm not haviing any luck so far.

Dave

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.9 SDi Van van won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello Dynadavid. did you solve the problem with the Van.
    i have a caddy 2003 1.9 SDI and currently ready to take the engine out and put in some pedals. let me know if you solved problem please

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.9 SDi Van van won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motucker View Post
    Hello Dynadavid. did you solve the problem with the Van.
    i have a caddy 2003 1.9 SDI and currently ready to take the engine out and put in some pedals. let me know if you solved problem please
    No, sorry I didn't solve the problem. The van was scrapped as it was too expensive to fix.

Hope you have more luck than me!

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.9 SDi Van van won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What's wrong with the van, did you scan it?

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.9 SDi Van van won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I know this is an old thread but hope someone can shed some light on the issue of the 1.9 inca not starting. My Inca did the same, swapped the relay as found on most forums and started fine. I have found it gets quite hot when driving. I can find plenty of suggestions of fixing non start incas due to relay but what I can't seem to find is a cause of the problem. I can keep changing the relay but I feel that is only masking the problem. Many thanks

0 0 0