Notices

User Tag List

Thread: They saw me coming!

1. They saw me coming! 
    Chumbly Guest

Ignoring all my common sense & experience (many sleepless nights this week), I bought a 1997 Avant 1.9TDi last Sunday for £800. It turns out that it has been clocked (60-70k taken off) & has a fake service record & MOT! The mileage at the last (genuine) MOT in August 2011 was 177K (with 1 or 2 minor advisories). The seller is not answering the phone (no surprise there). My question is should I keep it or cut my losses?
    The body work is all but immaculate & internally it's very tidy. No significant bonnet chips & the rear seats & boot are spotless (no scuffs/scrapes on the rear bumper/sill - it looks like new). Everything works (except the air-con - which I hope just needs re-gassing). it starts without hesitation (even with a little frost this morning).
    My only concerns are when going over bumps it 'wobbles' a little & on full lock there's a bit of a knock/clunk. The steering wheel is also a little off centre & has a moderate amount of play. The brakes seem fine, but there is a bit of a judder when braking at higher speeds. It looks like I'm on target for 45MPG around town. I'm driving from Staines to Derby on Saturday, so will know what the MPG is on a long run. VAG in Slough have quoted me £359 for a cambelt service (+ £80 for the water pump), £139 for an interim & £259 for a major (which seems very cheap for a main dealer) The wealth of experience of the forum members would be greatly appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: They saw me coming! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You are worrying for nothing my friend.If it's had mileage altered then it has and at least you know now,as long as its been serviced then it will be good for double the mileage!Start by giving it a major service at a good small garage,(all filters,oils,brake fluid,coolant)They will also go through the steering/suspension as part of service.Sounds like it could need a ball joint or track rod end and maybe discs and pads.But you could of spent £7000 and still needed the same,for £800 if the rest of it is good like you say then I'd be happy to spend a little on it and you,l have a good motor! Don't worry if the previous seller thought mileage was high and felt the need to try and cover it up.I have a 2003 avant with 130000 miles and it drive better than most 2007 with 48000 miles on,this is because I look after it and when thing wear I replace them.Good luck and no nee to have sleepless nights mate!

0 0 0

3. Re: They saw me coming! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think first off I would take it somewhere trusted for an MOT, explain what has happened to you and ask them to give it the once over - with a fake service record and MOT it could also be nicked so would confirm the V5 is genuine before spending a penny - My local SEAT/Skoda dealer are currently doing cambelts with a two year guarantee for £299 and £199 for major service - expect £80ish to change water pump with cambelt. Your car is, to all intents and purposes, an early Octavia / Exeo

0 0 0

4. Re: They saw me coming! 
    Chumbly Guest
    Your reply is very much appreciated. I'll book it in for the major service. Cheers

0 0 0

5. Re: They saw me coming! 
    Chumbly Guest
    I've checked out the V5 & it's not been written off, scrapped or reported as stolen.
    I'll check out my local Skoda dealer.

Cheers

0 0 0