1. Re: Poor MPG - 2.0 TDi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 20"s won't help matters, My wife's A1 started life getting roughly 40mpg this is now 12 months old and has 8,000miles on the clock and 45mpg is easily achievable. I know the A6 is a different engine car etc but would still expect an increase of a similar percentage if not more as it runs in. I think its difficult to say until its fully run in (approx 10k plus) before you can gauge the real world consumption. I presume your A4 didn't have 20" wheels?
    Last edited by foxy367; 23-10-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    His - 2012 A6 177bhp S-Line Daytona Grey standard apart from ambient light pack
    Hers - 2011 A1 122tfsi sport in black

0 0 0

2. Re: Poor MPG - 2.0 TDi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The A4 had 18"s and was the 143ps model, mpg acheived was close to book figures, I suppose I have been spoilt a bit with mpg on the last one, but then this is a bigger car and my fault for being drawn to the 20"s it came with when I was introduced to it in the showroom.....I am a sucker for a good looker.....I will ease off the as a little I guess which my wife will probably be happy with now we have a 7 month old.

Still not impressed with Audi's rediculous mpg claims in the press and documentation, you must have to drive at 56 mph on a long mway run all day without carrying passengers and not braking to get anywhere near the extra urban heights of the 64mpg claimed......

Here's hoping I can get near 45mpg at least as the car is run in......or my wallet is going to take a pounding, thanks for the advice

0 0 0

3. Re: Poor MPG - 2.0 TDi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by groundshine View Post
    The A4 had 18"s and was the 143ps model, mpg acheived was close to book figures, I suppose I have been spoilt a bit with mpg on the last one, but then this is a bigger car and my fault for being drawn to the 20"s it came with when I was introduced to it in the showroom.....I am a sucker for a good looker.....I will ease off the as a little I guess which my wife will probably be happy with now we have a 7 month old.

Still not impressed with Audi's rediculous mpg claims in the press and documentation, you must have to drive at 56 mph on a long mway run all day without carrying passengers and not braking to get anywhere near the extra urban heights of the 64mpg claimed......

Here's hoping I can get near 45mpg at least as the car is run in......or my wallet is going to take a pounding, thanks for the advice
    It can easily take 5000 miles for the engine to "run in" and mpg improvement (of up to 20%) right up 10k miles is not unknown. Certainly after 400 miles you car will still be very tight. you don't say if the car is auto or manual but auto's seem to be suffering even more from poor fuel consumption initially. Unfortunately the EU demands a certain regime for fuel consumption tests which is totally unrealistic to normal life. As it also impacts the official CO2 emissions and thus the ultimate saleability of the car, manufacturers are now programming the car to deliver exceptional results in the tests (even easier to do with an auto gearbox) and increasingly customers will complain that they are not getting anywhere close to the published figures

0 0 0

4. Re: Poor MPG - 2.0 TDi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info, I have been reading up on the Which site about the EU testing regimes as a result, 'Which' have their own calculator based on their results, for the new A6 2.0 TDI under my driving conditions it is predicting 52mpg combined.....I would be very happy with that. My A6 and previous A4 are both manual....I will give it a few thousand miles and see what improvements are made, if its in the region of 20% as you state then I will be looking at high 40's which is a lot better

0 0 0

5. Re: Poor MPG - 2.0 TDi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    My 2.0ltr TDI seems most comfortable at around 50 mph. If I am not paying attention this is what it seems to naturally settle at. Speeds greater than 50 mph seem to be pushing the car and I see a noticeable drop in fuel economy as a consequence of having to step on the gas peddle to hold at 60 mph or above for example. I am guessing that a 3.0 ltr TDI will more happily sit at 60 mph, 70 mph or 80 mph and that is why it appears to give better mpg at these speeds as a consequence. My 20 mile journey to work on A and B roads typically averages 52 mpg, best ever is 56 mpg. That is with me challenging myself to try and get the best mpg I can. Journey home is typically less for some reason, although no material differences in speed, distance or duration (same route but in opposite direction). Currently experimenting with whether it is better to accelerate more quickly through the gears to reach the desired speed, or keep the gas peddle light and take longer to get up to cruising speed (consequence is longer to change through the gears). Not really noticed any significant difference in achievable mpg based on whether in Economy, Auto or Dynamic mode. I know that dynamic mode is by far the most rewarding to drive in.
    A4 B9 (2018) S-Line Avant 2.0 TDi 190 S-Tronic, Quattro, Daytona Grey, Full Leather, Privacy Glass, MMI Plus, Extended Lighting Pack, Towbar

0 0 0

6. Poor MPG - 2.0 TDi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 2l 177 manual, and it also,cruises comfortably at 50..... Until I change up into 5th or even 6th gear. Mine would be at less than 1700 rpm if I tried to cruise at 50 6th gear; verging on engine cruelty IMO.

0 0 0

7. Re: Poor MPG - 2.0 TDi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robob123 View Post
    I have a 2l 177 manual, and it also,cruises comfortably at 50..... Until I change up into 5th or even 6th gear. Mine would be at less than 1700 rpm if I tried to cruise at 50 6th gear; verging on engine cruelty IMO.
    Mine (i know a cylinder is slightly different) cruises at just under 1400rpm in 8th at 70mph. Under gentle acceleration it changes itself UP at less than 1500rpm every time. I think modern engines are tuned to be happy operating at low revs.
    It pulls well from 1200 rpm with no labouring.

I am just back from a week in France and managed the following in comfort mode:
    100 miles at 70mph i got 56mpg! same journey out and back so cant be gradient of wind related.
    300 miles cruising around 80mph i got 44.5mpg
    200 miles cruising around 85mph i got 42mpg
    100 miles cruising at 100mph (with 3 blasts to 140mph) i got 34mpg.
    All verified as within 2 or 3 mpg by measuring from fill ups. Computer is showing 41mpg long term since new now. I am very pleased with that. I guess the air suspension auto lowering helps a little at higher speeds.
    S6 Black Avant: Tech advanced, Matrix, Keyless entry, Sunroof, Speed limit display, Tow bar, Rear camera
    Golf GTI (for the Mrs) BMW M140i (for work and fun )

0 0 0

8. Re: Poor MPG - 2.0 TDi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi everybody, i bought my new shape audi A6 in april with 7000 miles. i was very dissapointed about the fuel consumption until a month ago.
    since then i drive town and motorways combined,and had a trip in europe about 4000 miles. Now i have 30.000 miles and i can say that the engine it runs perfect. two days ago i drive from wembley to kingston thru town at about 30 mph. with 4th gear the average consumption it was 50.2 mpg. on motorway gatwick to heathrow i was driving at 60mph( 100 km/h) and i was getting about 64.3 mpg. i was amazed. the consumption has improved. the figures from audi consumption i supoze that they are in almost perfect condition driving in town at 30mph(48 km/h) 48mpg. and outside if you drive at 60mph you can get very close to these figures. My advice is to have some pacience until 20.000- 30.000 milesonly until then you can say that the engine has a smooth running and you can get the most out of him.. ooohh by the way after i bought the car until 20.000 miles i had the feeling that the engine is tide,has no power it was feelig like having 140 bhp not 177. now is strech out and is accelerating very smoooth and you can feel the power at your foot. hope that was helpful.

0 0 0

9. Re: Poor MPG - 2.0 TDi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cip82 View Post
    Hi everybody, i bought my new shape audi A6 in april with 7000 miles. i was very dissapointed about the fuel consumption until a month ago.
    since then i drive town and motorways combined,and had a trip in europe about 4000 miles. Now i have 30.000 miles and i can say that the engine it runs perfect. two days ago i drive from wembley to kingston thru town at about 30 mph. with 4th gear the average consumption it was 50.2 mpg. on motorway gatwick to heathrow i was driving at 60mph( 100 km/h) and i was getting about 64.3 mpg. i was amazed. the consumption has improved. the figures from audi consumption i supoze that they are in almost perfect condition driving in town at 30mph(48 km/h) 48mpg. and outside if you drive at 60mph you can get very close to these figures. My advice is to have some pacience until 20.000- 30.000 milesonly until then you can say that the engine has a smooth running and you can get the most out of him.. ooohh by the way after i bought the car until 20.000 miles i had the feeling that the engine is tide,has no power it was feelig like having 140 bhp not 177. now is strech out and is accelerating very smoooth and you can feel the power at your foot. hope that was helpful.
    That's very interesting.

I've got 4500 miles on mine now and the engine is noticeable quicker and smoother than it was new. Over that distance my trip show 34.5mpg. I do tend to do lots of short trips and drive rather briskly.

I will be able to post some more information about the power being produced next week though with graphs to back it up.

0 0 0

10. Re: Poor MPG - 2.0 TDi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5678 View Post
    That's very interesting.

I've got 4500 miles on mine now and the engine is noticeable quicker and smoother than it was new. Over that distance my trip show 34.5mpg. I do tend to do lots of short trips and drive rather briskly.

I will be able to post some more information about the power being produced next week though with graphs to back it up.
    Believe me it wil improve power consumption. When the engine is new i could say is stifht. in time he will loosen up.

0 0 0

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122