Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello to all

My trusty C5 1.9TDI auto is approaching 500K now......and I'm considering retiring it...

What is the longivity like on the new 2.0 TDI C6........do they need an engine rebuild at 150K or anything? I cant imagine they are quite as unstressed as their predecessor....or as capable of such huge mileages.......or am I completely wrong?

Cheers

David

0 0 0

2. Re: Longivity on new A6 C6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I haven't been a long time audi driver but from what I have seen you will end up spending a fair bit to get to that high mileage. These cars are good..don't get me wrong but after about 150-175k I wouldn't count on their reliabiliity too much. They will require bits n bobs doing n even routine bits n bobs aren't cheap on em. I think it ll all be down to how u drive n look after it. Out of interest how much did u spend on ur c5 over its life? Any major costs other than the normal maintenance n servicing etc.

Modern cars are made way too complicated IMO and they have more that could go wrong. They're safer than ever but just not as reliable or bulletproof as they used to be I think.

Raj

0 0 0

3. Re: Longivity on new A6 C6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Raj

I'd say spending money on an old shape 1.9tdi is an investment as it has virtually unlimited life, providing you change the oil and filter every 10K.

Apart from servicing:

It's eaten 3 aircon compressors
    1 x Convenience module
    3 times Ive changed the dampers (but not the springs) (Bilstein are the best by miles)
    The various ball joints about 3 or 4 times - the full set
    Topped up/changed gearbox oil - well worth keeping an eye on.....
    Alternator at 436K
    EGR valve replaced around 360K

But there you have it.......a 1.9tdi auto 470K and going strong...

I have a mate who had 2 new tyres on his BMW for £560. I had a leak due to a crack in an alloy (not bad after 470K) and I bought the right alloy (with a tyre) for £20 on ebay.....

I'm weighing up whether to find a low mileage A6 1.9......maybe even a 110HP on the basis of long term reliability due to less complicated bits (lower pressure fuel delivery vs a 130), and also versus a new shape 2.0 TDI A6......

The newer car consumes more fuel and could well cost more to maintain....plus tyres are more.....

Any views very welcome...

Cheers

David

0 0 0

4. Re: Longivity on new A6 C6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi David, I agree with Raj newer equals more complicated mechanics / electrics. It also depends what your criteria for what you want from the car is....

I think it gets difficult to suggest a specific engine out of C6 diesel range as they all have strengths and weakness, if you take top speed/acceleration out of equation.

Early 2.0 can have oil pump issue, cambelt change is another service cost vs chain driven ones, if coupled with Auto box you will have a multitronic which means gearbox oil change every 40k, some have DPF with mileage you going to do I think DPF regeneration would not be problem, but compared to C5 that can be a costly replacement you would never have on that.

Defo 3.0 and probably 2.7 can have intake manifold swirl flap issue but no cambelt change as chain driven but when chain go wrong very costly, friend of mine with A4 3.0 TDi on 55 plate paid about £2500 for fix at dealer. But with 3.0 TDi auto box will be Tiptronic in 2.7 unless quattro will be multitronic. Tiptronic has oils for life apparently but some people I read in posts get change regardless every 5 year or so.

I think you must expect higher ownership cost compared to C5 again some costs one owner may find acceptable another may not ... Are you a home/DIY servicer?

I remember when I passed my test (now that's long time ago) and my dad gave me his Volvo 240 GL It was so easy to work on as you had so much room in the engine bay fast forward to my current car just to change bulbs in headlight you have remove parts in engine bay!! LOL

Out of interest did you put all of the 500k on the meter? how many clutches on Auto box done?
    Last edited by gupsterg; 25-03-2012 at 02:04 AM.

0 0 0

5. Re: Longivity on new A6 C6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Yeah the newer models consume more fuel as mine is bog standard 2l diesel n I can't get more than 35mpg around town. Long runs might give me around 45ish but that's about it.tyres n everything is a bit pricey too. So far in the last 6 months I haven't paid towards anything apart from rain sensor which got replaced under warranty.I do have the dreaded bre engine which could have the oil pump failure issue so I'm always a bit wary of that. Frankly I wouldn't want to worry about it all the time.not something you need from an executive motor but guess I gotta live with it as long as it stays. But you'll struggle to find a c5 with low miles as they were built to eat miles n that's what they were bought for. It won't b that easy to find. As a c6 owner I can only wish I had quite that worryfree motoring as you may have had with your car. Happy hunting man.

Raj

0 0 0

6. Re: Longivity on new A6 C6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Have you tried pressing the magic 'fuel save' button Raj (the Econ button)? I tried it for my recent trip away & got 52+ mpg for the first time since owning the car. Clitheroe to Bedfordshire, to Norfolk & back to Lancashire with some urban driving in between - 500 miles on 2/3 of a tank - not bad for me, that was with 2 passengers, a heavy dog and a week's worth of luggage and the Econ button turned on.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 0 0

7. Re: Longivity on new A6 C6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks gents for the replies........the autobox hasnt had any attention apart from a couple of oil changes and I had to have the gearbox sump gasket replaced recently (about £100) as it was leaking a bit of oil.........the first time I changed the gearbox oil because the gearchanges were sluggish and some really black oil came out....it's fine now. It may not have 6 gears.......but it doesnt break and the 3 I have still achieve 40+ mpg = 600/650 to a tank around 80/85ish

I use a mobile mechanic, but tend to show an interest and join in on a few jobs to help, and source cheap parts via ebay etc....

Re car choice....I was thinking about a pre-DPF C6 2.0 TDI.....versus a (carefully selected) late A6 auto. (100K is low mileage to me!). But there isw an argument for an even earlier AFN engined 1.9tdi, with the benefit of the stronger earlier auto box....

Will chew it over.....no hurry.....have another 29K to go to get to 500K!

Cheers

David

0 0 0

8. Re: Longivity on new A6 C6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Brycie if you mean the air con econ button then I have always have it on mate. Yet to drive without it.

Raj

0 0 0

9. Re: Longivity on new A6 C6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I think it was Car magazine that summed up the 4F A6 quite well in one word, fragile.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrp0ny View Post
    Re car choice....I was thinking about a pre-DPF C6 2.0 TDI.....versus a (carefully selected) late A6 auto. (100K is low mileage to me!). But there isw an argument for an even earlier AFN engined 1.9tdi, with the benefit of the stronger earlier auto box....

Will chew it over.....no hurry.....have another 29K to go to get to 500K!
    Personally I would avoid the pre-facelift 2.0 TDi A6s with the PD engine. In 60,000 miles I had far more issues with mine than with my current post-facelift A6 with the CR engine. The new CR engines seem to be far more reliable in my experience. The only mechanical issue I have had with this car in almost 60k is a faulty DPF sensor which pinged on the EML.

Just my tuppence

MF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast