1. 1.4TSi Won't run - with 1 of the keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Exactly that. We normally only use one key (key 1) for the car, but I tried the 2nd (Key 2) yesterday and today (still almost brand new) and it unlocks the doors etc OK, wireless range very good, but more often than not the engine fires, the dash says "SAFE" and the car engine stalls.

Yesterday I did manage to use the car without any problems after a few tries with Key 1, and then using key 2. Switched the car off and started with the key 2 and it was OK. This morning it only seems to want to work with key 1 again. Any ideas? Key 2 won't work at all. I don't think the battery is flat - seems to have a good range etc and does start the car briefly.

Sheesh - all these electronics - I preferred my Pug 104 that would start with a screwdriver! lol
    Golf 1.4 TSI SE, 5DR Manual (Metallic paint), '09/59

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.4TSi Won't run - with 1 of the keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo Golfer View Post
    Exactly that. We normally only use one key (key 1) for the car, but I tried the 2nd (Key 2) yesterday and today (still almost brand new) and it unlocks the doors etc OK, wireless range very good, but more often than not the engine fires, the dash says "SAFE" and the car engine stalls.

Yesterday I did manage to use the car without any problems after a few tries with Key 1, and then using key 2. Switched the car off and started with the key 2 and it was OK. This morning it only seems to want to work with key 1 again. Any ideas? Key 2 won't work at all. I don't think the battery is flat - seems to have a good range etc and does start the car briefly.

Sheesh - all these electronics - I preferred my Pug 104 that would start with a screwdriver! lol

Have you tried to put the key in the door?, if you can put the key in the door then turn clockwise and hold there for a couple of seconds, then turn anti clockwise then remove and try

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.4TSi Won't run - with 1 of the keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks - I'll try that!!

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.4TSi Won't run - with 1 of the keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Is this second key kept in a secure place where no one can play with it like kids.

There was a thread a while ago where the second key wouldn't work and someone asked if kids had been playing with it, they had. The key needed to be resinked with the car the intructions are in the handbook. I've searched but I can't find the thread now.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.4TSi Won't run - with 1 of the keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes - the keys held away from anyone. my kids are well old enough now not to play with things like that.

Been looking through the hand book and it only seems to imply that you can register for remote locking etc, not engine starting. So I'll try again tonight but I ain't hopeful. It might have been like this since we bought the car new in 2009.

Seems like a trip to the dealership is pending!

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.4TSi Won't run - with 1 of the keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TSI 1.4 SE DSG

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.4TSi Won't run - with 1 of the keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks all for your help so far.

As the functions work (i.e. locks, unlocks, both with key in barrel and remotely), I have been told by my dealer that the car needs to be taken in to have the work done. it needs to be sorted using their programming system.

So it's booked in for next week. I'll update you guys when it's fixed for reference.

Thanks for your help so far.

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.4TSi Won't run - with 1 of the keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You know what I don't think I have ever tried my second key, guess I should really.
    Golf mk6 GT TSI 160 3 door Black with convenience pack

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.4TSi Won't run - with 1 of the keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well it's been in and out and fixed. The key had lost it's connection and needed to be synched by VW - cannot be done yourself.

They normally charge £10 for this +vat, but waved it as we and the garage have adverse "history" (see my issues with engine rattle on startup thread) but I still felt that they seemed to make me feel as if they had done me a favour by not charging...

Apparently keys are only guaranteed/warranteed for 6 months....not 3 years. So if you seldom use one of the keys please please go and test it properly by starting the engine, not just locking/unlocking doors. There are 2 technologies in the key - one for remote functions and one for immobilisor. Both are synchronised separately.

The remote functions you can do, but the immobiliser is VW only.

1 0 0

10. Re: 1.4TSi Won't run - with 1 of the keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo Golfer View Post
    So if you seldom use one of the keys please please go and test it properly by starting the engine, not just locking/unlocking doors. There are 2 technologies in the key - one for remote functions and one for immobilisor. Both are synchronised separately.
    I've just tried my spare key its works but it put my DRLs back on so I knocked them off again. It appears that different keys have different settings stupid VW complicating simplicity.

Cheers for that tip Jumbo Golfer I've given you a thanks.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

0 0 0