0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Passat
    May 2006
    2.0l TDi

Started the car this morning at around 5am, it was frosty.

I usually let the engine run for a few mins, just to get things going. I drove about 3/4 mile then got an error "stop oil pressure engine off see owners manual" with flashing red oil light.

The car didn't "conk out". There were no noises different to the normal everyday sounds I'm used to while running/driving.

I took the car back home and it's left there at the moment, and I'm going to check the oil level when it's day light.

When I turn the engine off, there is usually a "hum" noise that kind of "tails off after around 3-5 seconds. This has been like this ever since the fuel pump was replaced a few years ago. However, when I turned the engine off this morning, this tailing off noise was more constant and lasted around 10 seconds longer than normal, before it "tailed off".

Not sure if that is related at all, or just co-incidence.

I have seen a few subjects using Google, that the oil pump has a known design fault regarding the "Balance Shaft module" & regularly fails in the 2006 2.0l TDI?

If VW knew, and still know about this, then surely they should be responsible for any repairs? [As with the fuel pump silent recall and recent injector issues they knew about? Both of which I've had replaced by VW for free.]

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by artnada; 20-02-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Added info

0 0 0

2. Re: stop oil pressure engine off see owners manual 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Why, when you saw the message "stop oil pressure engine off see owners manual" did you think it was ok to drive it back home. You potentially had no oil being pumped to any of the moving parts. The engine will have done several thousand revolutions & the turbo several hundred thousands in that 3/4 mile drive home, all with no oil pressure.
    Check the oil level, if nothing shows on the dipstick add the correct oil until it shows on the stick. Start the engine, but if the oil light remains on for more than a few seconds turn the engine off. I suspect the level will be ok.
    If so, don't try restarting the engine. You will need to get the car recovered to your VW garage & hope not too much damage has been done. Otherwise a replacement engine will be required.

0 0 0

3. Re: stop oil pressure engine off see owners manual 
    DSG4ME Guest
    If you are pre 07 it will indicate the pump has failed, I asked VOSA about it and you have to contact trading standards about it, it's not set in stone they can do anything, but fwiw I agree VW should be picking up here.

0 0 0