Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Audi Allroad 2002 2.5TDi AKE - Swingout the Lock Carrier aka "gate style"

1. Audi Allroad 2002 2.5TDi AKE - Swingout the Lock Carrier aka "gate style" 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi. Anyone who has read my recent posts will know that I am about to do a full cambelt/v-belt, dampers, tensioners pulleys, water pump, thermostat change soon.
    I now have all the parts and tools required on-order and plan to start early March (when weather hopefully will be warmer!)
    I will put the lock carrier into the service position, but being a novice I am going to see if I can swing the lock carrier open to get more access - I plan to also remove/install new mounting bushes on bracket for power steering pump and oil cooler.
    Having studied the manual, this appears to be possible for the AKE engine. All the ATF fuel pipes are on the right side of the radiator and the flexible hoses should allow the lock carrier to be swung out a little without having to remove them. Also, I believe the condenser could also be left attached to the radiator and also swung with the lock carrier.

MY QUESTION: HAS ANYONE DONE THIS? I know additonal hoses, electrical connections etc have to be disconnected but I think the gain in workspace would be worth it. All comments welcomed.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi Allroad 2002 2.5TDi AKE - Swingout the Lock Carrier aka "gate style" 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I am in the middle of replacing my thermostat just now and I completely removed the front end as the service position did not give me enough clear room to work. From the service position to fully removed took about 25 minutes so hardly overly time consuming. On my car AKE 2001 Allroad with manual gearbox there are still 2 oil pipes that connect to the radiator on the drivers side. These had to be removed to facilitate the removal of the front end otherwise it was very straightforward.

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi Allroad 2002 2.5TDi AKE - Swingout the Lock Carrier aka "gate style" 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would like to second the comments above
    Over Xmas I changed my cambelt, tensioner, idler, water pump and thermostat and after trying with the front end in the service position I ended up doing exactly what you are proposing.
    It only took an additional half hour at most, but the increased access makes the job soooooo much easier.

Good luck, take your time and double check everything is in the right place before you dismantle and again before you try to reassemble.

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi Allroad 2002 2.5TDi AKE - Swingout the Lock Carrier aka "gate style" 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux72 View Post
    I would like to second the comments above
    Over Xmas I changed my cambelt, tensioner, idler, water pump and thermostat and after trying with the front end in the service position I ended up doing exactly what you are proposing.
    It only took an additional half hour at most, but the increased access makes the job soooooo much easier.

Good luck, take your time and double check everything is in the right place before you dismantle and again before you try to reassemble.
    dulux72, many thanks for your comments. Do you also have an AKE Automatic? With it being an automatic I don't wish to remove the ATF pipes and then also have to complete the topping-up process for the gearbox - I intend changing the ATF filter and oil in the summer when I will have access to a pit. Would be nice to know for sure it can be done with my engine before I start. Maybe when I have done this job I could manage in future with the lock carrier in the service position, but for a first time... and changing everything.... like you, I feel (sorry KNOW) I need the max possible room!

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi Allroad 2002 2.5TDi AKE - Swingout the Lock Carrier aka "gate style" 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Opps sorry mines a manual.
    But the difference between using the service tool and the complete removal is only about an extra 10mins work.
    You will be able to see very clearly if you are able to swing the front away before you have to undo anything important

0 0 0