1. Unhappy Golf VI TDI S 105 poor fuel consumption 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have owned my MKVI for over two years now and have always had excellent fuel economy. Since I bought the car, I have had between 59 and 64 MPG. Since November, all I can muster is 54MPG. The car has done 11,300 miles and had a recent service at the Stirling VW dealership. The car is used mostly to get to my work, a round trip of 12 miles. The journey is driven at speeds of between 30 and 40mph. The DPF light has never come on in the time I have owned the car. I have also noticed that the range has dropped significantly (accounting for the lesser MPG). I used to fill the car up and had a range of about 720, now it's 605. I am a careful driver and have a very light right foot, but now feel that something is not right with the car. I traded in a '93 Corolla 2.0D with almost 220,000 on the clock for the Golf. That was still returning a regular 55mpg. I feel that my Golf should be returning more than 54 MPG. Any help would be appreciated.

Just discovered from previous threads that my Golf is a 105 (CAYC) as opposed to a 90, which was what I ordered!!

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf VI TDI S 105 poor fuel consumption 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain1015 View Post
    I have owned my MKVI for over two years now and have always had excellent fuel economy. Since I bought the car, I have had between 59 and 64 MPG. Since November, all I can muster is 54MPG. The car has done 11,300 miles and had a recent service at the Stirling VW dealership. The car is used mostly to get to my work, a round trip of 12 miles. The journey is driven at speeds of between 30 and 40mph. The DPF light has never come on in the time I have owned the car. I have also noticed that the range has dropped significantly (accounting for the lesser MPG). I used to fill the car up and had a range of about 720, now it's 605. I am a careful driver and have a very light right foot, but now feel that something is not right with the car. I traded in a '93 Corolla 2.0D with almost 220,000 on the clock for the Golf. That was still returning a regular 55mpg. I feel that my Golf should be returning more than 54 MPG. Any help would be appreciated.

Just discovered from previous threads that my Golf is a 105 (CAYC) as opposed to a 90, which was what I ordered!!
    ECU software update carried out during service?

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf VI TDI S 105 poor fuel consumption 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Iain

A possible contributary factor is the winter diesel supplied from Oct/Nov through to March. This stuff has additives to stop the fuel waxing at very low temperatures. I think that chemically this reduces the calorific value of the fuel and hence the reduced mpg. It should only be a few miles per gallon mind you. You don't seem to have noticed this last year - so it may be that something else is at play.

I have the same engine (in a Fabia estate) and have been very impressed with it. I am getting 55 mpg at present - down from 59mpg. I'm relatively relaxed about this because I think it is down to the change to winter diesel.

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf VI TDI S 105 poor fuel consumption 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Winter diesel will be the main reason for the increase in fuel consumption.
    2010 Golf Plus 1.6TDi SE Bluemotion

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf VI TDI S 105 poor fuel consumption 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_S View Post
    Winter diesel will be the main reason for the increase in fuel consumption.
    No winter diesel is treated so it doesn't freeze\wax up as easily. The drop in fuel can on the winter is because the engine doesn't get up to normal operating conditions as quick, plus traffic creeps along in bad weather.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf VI TDI S 105 poor fuel consumption 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    No winter diesel is treated so it doesn't freeze\wax up as easily. The drop in fuel can on the winter is because the engine doesn't get up to normal operating conditions as quick, plus traffic creeps along in bad weather.

The treatment to prevent waxing changes the calorific value of diesel which means it doesn't give as much bang for your buck as summer diesel, so more diesel is used in winter as a result.
    2010 Golf Plus 1.6TDi SE Bluemotion

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf VI TDI S 105 poor fuel consumption 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Guys,

Thanks for all your replies. Guess I will have to grin and bear it until spring!!

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf VI TDI S 105 poor fuel consumption 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think winter diesel makes a difference too, not just the ambient temp.
    I swear I can notice the difference at the start of September when they switch over the fuel, while the temps have not changed.

Having said that, it is the difference between very good mpg and outstanding mpg, so I'm not complaining.
    Golf Match 2.0 tdi 140 Bluemotion tech, fogs, folding mirrors. Reversing camera didn't make it, so enjoying DAB.

Other motor is a Nissan Pathfinder.

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf VI TDI S 105 poor fuel consumption 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update on my 1.6 TDI s. The DPF light came on at 18,000 miles and would not go out, eventually reverting to "limp home mode". Took the car to Arnold Clark Greenock, who carried out diagnostics on it. They carried out a regeneration of the DPF filter and a software update. After that, the car ran faultlessly and returned 66mpg at fuel up. Happy days. A week later I bought my mother's 2009 Golf 1.6 TDI SE with 12,000 miles on the clock as a second car. It drives the same journey every day as my 1.6 TDI s. However, at the first fill up, I worked out the MPG at 46.8 mpg, and that's driving it as carefully as my other Golf. Took it to AC Greenock and they ran diagnostics again. No fault found and no software upgrade, as it did not show any faults. Even with the temperature today at 23 degrees, at fill up today I worked it out as 47.6 mpg. So, in a nutshell, two almost identical Golfs, one can get over 65 mpg driving carefully, the other gets 47 mpg driven the same way. Going to take it back to the garage for investigation as I can't afford to run with that mpg. Wonder what it will drop to in the winter.....

1 0 0

10. Re: Golf VI TDI S 105 poor fuel consumption 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi, my 2012 golf has been back twice for poor mpg, but nothing found, i get way below quoted figure..
    all was fine until i filled up at Morrison's , since then its never returned to what i was getting, saying that most of our driving is in and around town, just got told by vw , these engines are sensitive to the weather temp
    NEW 2012 Golf mk6 1.6 tdi Bluemotion..tinted glass, white

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast