1. Re: Battery Drain Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Great thread guys - I have a battery drain issue and suspect it is the Radio/Nav system. When I disconnected the battery to put the multimeter in line the unit behind the panel in the boot started clicking away when the circuit was remade*.

I wonder why it just recently started happening. Had the car for 6 years now and I haven't updated any software. I did fit a Dension Gateway shortly after getting the car.

Anyone got a picture of exactly which fuses to pull for the Sat Nav/Radio?

*Disconnecting the battery is a right pain with all the error codes it throws!

0 0 0

2. Re: Battery Drain Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    All fine now it seems! Fully charging the (new) battery outside the car and pulling all the fuses out for anything to do with MMI/radio/dash/nav seemed to sort it.

Just one big reboot basically! Battery at 100% all the time now and no starting issues

Old battery was definitely gone as it doesn't hold a charge so I don't know if the constant current management was causing additional drain. Can't code the new battery to the car as there are very few options but it makes no difference. Basically 13v = 100% and that's all the car knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Battery Drain Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello,

I would like to give my solution to the battery drain issue. Hopefully this helps people with a similar problem.

EDIT: Side effects of this solution may include loss of Clock accuracy and having to recalibrate the windows over longer durations. The fuse used appears to control a few other components.

Symptoms of battery drain started after updating the software on my RNS-E. I will refer to my car Audi head unit as RNS-E for this write up.

note: I am not a professional electrician, just practical. please feel free to comment on my work. If you are unsure what you are doing, get an automotive electrician to help.

The battery was draining completely over a 2 week period. So I did some searching and found this could be the MMI unit. I tested the RNS-E circuit by seeing if the battery voltage dropped with the fuse in and out. I found it was sucking juice while the car was off. I then left my car for a week with the fuse out to see how well it started, it started quickly and with no hesitation like before. Now knowing that the MMI was the issue I searched around for a solution. The solutions in the thread are great but it was specific to the A6 and I have an 2006 A3 2.0 TDI. By using the same relay idea I have created a solution that can be located in the fusebox under the bonnet.

To understand the logic behind picking a suitable ignition initiated fuse please watch this video on how to add a fused circuit to your car How to add a fused circuit to your vehicle – how to fuse tap - by VegOilGuy - YouTube
    To understand how a relay works watch this video How An Automotive Relay Works and How to Wire 'Em up - YouTube

What we are creating here is a way to allow the circuit for the MMI to be completed when the key in the ignition has been turned.

steps are as follows

1. Find a suitable spare fuse slot that only had current when the key was turned using multi meter as per the video. probably worth checking you have one prior to ordering parts.
    2. Assemble the relay circuit using the crimping tool as per the diagram
    3. Unplug the neutral from the cars battery prior poking around incase you accidentally do anything.
    4. Connect the piggy back circuit and ground to the cars chassis, I cut a slot into the fuse box to allow the grounding cable (white) to go out. in my case it was F27
    5. I then slotted in the positive and negative wires into the MMI fuse F19 in my case
    6. Check everything is in the right place and fuses are installed.
    7. re attached negative battery terminal.
    8. with the ignition off test the negative part of the RNS-E fuse with the multimeter, this should read 0Volts
    9. Turn the ignition to stage 1, the multimeter should now read 12v as if the relay is working correctly.

I have added some photos below that show the completed set up.

Cost wise its about £7 for the crimping set, £5 for the automotive 12v relay with connecting cable attachment, £3 for the 15 amp rated piggy back circuit. A few fuses and bit of time. All these were bought from ebay or amazon.

Make sure you are buying a piggy back circuit that is 15AMPS ( the same as the RNS-E circuit)

IMG_9088.jpgIMG_9089.jpgIMG_9098.jpgIMG_9097.jpgIMG_9096.jpgIMG_9095.jpgIMG_9094.jpgIMG_9091.jpgIMG_9090.jpgIMG_9087.jpg
    Last edited by markytuck; 09-07-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: side effects noticed

0 2 0

4. Re: Battery Drain Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Good write up Marky, thanks for sharing the info. Do you know why updating the MMI software should lead to this issue? Does it occur only when the MMI software level is updated, or can updating the sat nav maps cause the same? It's just my car is running 2007 maps which I'm finding a bit limiting.
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Tiptronic (C6 pre-facelift) - left hand drive

0 0 0

5. Re: Battery Drain Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 54A4Avant View Post
    Do you know why updating the MMI software should lead to this issue? Does it occur only when the MMI software level is updated, or can updating the sat nav maps cause the same? It's just my car is running 2007 maps which I'm finding a bit limiting.
    It is estimated quess, but it might be something to do with tp and tmc configuration, audi electric-sw stuff is a bit mystery sometimes. Just burn 2017 map dvd and enjoy!

Chris check pm, maplink :=)
    A48K5 2008 Retrofits: FL Taillights, Bixenon, Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster, ADS with button, MMI 3G & 3G+(With Street view) Other Stuff: Ecu tune, Front bumper valance "Rieger look", Sideskirts, VCDS mod, Interior leds, Basic sound to Audi SS + B/O sub/tweeters+activsub, Soundproofing,Tinted windows, Interior 6D carbon wrap, Painted calipers, 18" Wsp wheels Peeler style, FL gearknob, Efficiency prog via cluster & gateway flash...

0 0 0

6. Re: Battery Drain Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks, I guess logically a map update shouldn't cause battery drain issues. Now to research where I can find 2017 European maps...
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Tiptronic (C6 pre-facelift) - left hand drive

0 0 0

7. Re: Battery Drain Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thank you very much for the information!! Very useful, been having hellish problems with the battery drain but I will try the turn offs you have suggested!! Thanks again
    McCorkill

2006 A6 C6 3.0 TDI S Line Advant
    2001 A4 B5 1.9 TDI Advant

0 0 0

8. Re: Battery Drain Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I think Singhl has saved me a lot of money and headaches. I’ve had my A6 for over a year and have the dreaded battery drain issue. I’ve had a new battery fitted and it didn’t cure it. Had the car in a garage for a few days on a parasitic drain test. They said it was either the MMI amp or nav draining the battery.

I then bought a charger and hard wired the connector to the battery and trickle charged it every night.

I now took it to my independent garage and mentioned the software update for the Battery Manager module. He looked into it and updated it for me. Cost £60 of which most was to pay Audi the licence so he could do it.

I only use the car every now and then. Have now used it twice in the past fortnight and no drain issues.

55plate Audi A6 Avant. 3.0Tdi S-Line Quattro.

0 0 0

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567