1. engine code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi,I,ve got a 2004 1.2 polo and am considering putting replacement engine in, as timing chain has slipped and low compression now on cylinder 3 and want to know what engine code I can fit,engine code at moment is bmd.what other engine codes can I fit? thank,s Mark

0 0 0

2. Re: engine code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wouldn't it be easier to sort out the timing, or are all the valves bent?
    2002 Polo 9n 1.2 65PS. Basic but it's better than the train!

0 0 0

3. Re: engine code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi,thank,s for reply,93000 mile,s on this engine been quoted £650 to repair! can get an engine for a lot less..Mark

0 0 0

4. Re: engine code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi,realy could do with an answer as my other vehicle just shat it,s power steering pump

0 0 0

5. Re: engine code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In my Haynes manual, they only mention 4 1.2 variants. I'm guessing these are the 65 and 55 PS versions, either with or without A/C. As such, stick with the one you've got. Crasher, of course, should probably correct me as I'm only going on my assumptions!
    2002 Polo 9n 1.2 65PS. Basic but it's better than the train!

0 0 0

6. Re: engine code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi,thank,s for reply,I,m quite happy to put another 1.2 engine in but have seen several on ebay with azy,bbm,bdm etc engine codes and was wondering which are compatible as my is aforementioned bdm..thank,s Mark

0 0 0

7. Re: engine code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    A BMD is the same as a BBM although there are variations of BMD and BBM engines according to certain details such as the year and service regime intention but the BMD/BBM engines are not directly interchangeable with anything else as far as I can see, others may fit with some adaption work that will vary from involved to not cost effective. The BMD/BBM share their bottom end with the AWY but the assembled head is only used on the BMD/BBM as the cam and valves springs being different so only the same bare casting is used on the AWY. I suppose if you were to swap the BMD’s cam and valve springs for those of a used AWY that would work but by then you are at the point of spending as much as rebuilding your original engine. A base unit exchange engine from VW is £1650 inc. VAT and comes partly built up and ready to dress with the original ancillaries. Going this way gives you a full VW 2 year warranty even if you fit it. All you have to do (I think you still have to do this) is take it to a dealer after fitting so they can issue a green card which says you have carried out the installation to the correct standard but I have not had to do this for a while and we are about to fit a VW exchange unit in a Golf 4 1.4 16v so I will ask when we order the unit next week. We had a BMD with the compression down on number 1 a few weeks back which turned out to be a very badly worn exhaust valve guide and it cost a lot more that £650 to repair, whoever is quoting you that is cutting corners such as not accounting for the likelihood of it needing 3 new exhaust valves and new guides fitting. When looking for a used BMD/BBM, bear in mind I have seen these engines with bad valve guide wear by 30K mile’s, such as the one mentioned above.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: engine code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    A BMD is the same as a BBM although there are variations of BMD and BBM engines according to certain details such as the year and service regime intention but the BMD/BBM engines are not directly interchangeable with anything else as far as I can see, others may fit with some adaption work that will vary from involved to not cost effective. The BMD/BBM share their bottom end with the AWY but the assembled head is only used on the BMD/BBM as the cam and valves springs being different so only the same bare casting is used on the AWY. I suppose if you were to swap the BMD’s cam and valve springs for those of a used AWY that would work but by then you are at the point of spending as much as rebuilding your original engine. A base unit exchange engine from VW is £1650 inc. VAT and comes partly built up and ready to dress with the original ancillaries. Going this way gives you a full VW 2 year warranty even if you fit it. All you have to do (I think you still have to do this) is take it to a dealer after fitting so they can issue a green card which says you have carried out the installation to the correct standard but I have not had to do this for a while and we are about to fit a VW exchange unit in a Golf 4 1.4 16v so I will ask when we order the unit next week. We had a BMD with the compression down on number 1 a few weeks back which turned out to be a very badly worn exhaust valve guide and it cost a lot more that £650 to repair, whoever is quoting you that is cutting corners such as not accounting for the likelihood of it needing 3 new exhaust valves and new guides fitting. When looking for a used BMD/BBM, bear in mind I have seen these engines with bad valve guide wear by 30K mile’s, such as the one mentioned above.

Sorry guys just come across this and hope you can clarify. I have a 1.2 polo 57 facelift version. With engine code BBM. My bro-in-law is fitting us a new engine as it is fried. So i'm looking for one. From this post do i grasp that the BMD engine is a straight swap for the BBM which we have? no mods needed?

Thanks guys and sorry for being dumb!!!

0 0 0

9. Re: engine code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I had a quick look at the numbers on ETKA and the factory exchnage part numbers for both are different but when I looked through all the sections of the bits I can't see a difference.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0