1. Golf TDI Servicing advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I am due to service the car in the next month or so, oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter. It my first one on a Golf and not sure which way to approach the air filter. At a service station lavy on the M4 there was an advert for me to read whilst doing the 'shake' about either K&N filters or one that lasts a life time and is 'machine washable'. given they are more expensive than a normal vw/bosch one,but last longer, and am lead to believe give you better fuel ecomony, would it be classed as a 'Modifaction' by insurance companies?

advice on all elements would be useful thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf TDI Servicing advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff eeles View Post
    I am due to service the car in the next month or so, oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter. It my first one on a Golf and not sure which way to approach the air filter. At a service station lavy on the M4 there was an advert for me to read whilst doing the 'shake' about either K&N filters or one that lasts a life time and is 'machine washable'. given they are more expensive than a normal vw/bosch one,but last longer, and am lead to believe give you better fuel ecomony, would it be classed as a 'Modifaction' by insurance companies?

advice on all elements would be useful thanks.
    Over the years i have fitted many K&N air filters and have seen many cone filter (even on diesels) TBH on your TDI stick with fitting a genuine one, dont cost a fortune, the k&n dont make much if any gain in MPG

and YES technicley it is a mod and you should inform your insurance, even tho its just an air filter

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf TDI Servicing advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Stick to original parts. I know thats not what you want to hear, but that is how vw's are designed and original parts will keep the dirts out better. Do you really want to put your filters in a washing machine?
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf TDI Servicing advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The problem with K+N filters and the like, is that you have to wash them and re-oil them which WILL sooner or later kill you MAF sensor,(oil from filter getting on the sensor) and at about £80 a pop, its not worth it, I know by experience. stick with a standard air filter, the r32 comes with the same air filter as a TDi, so that says it all.

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf TDI Servicing advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Fitting a "performance" air filter to a standard VW TDI is bit like buying running shorts for your granny. She might look cool but she will not run any faster ! The VW standard air filter is capable of suppling much more air/oxygen to the engine than the engine needs.
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf TDI Servicing advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In addition, Standard filter approx £15!

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf TDI Servicing advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    i will go for VW Gen parts on these things. can't be taking any chances with such a furtherbred.

0 0 0

Robnelson76 Guest
    I had a K&N fitted to my previous Saab 9-5 2.3t for 150,000 miles. I bought it because at £40 it was cheaper than repeated £25 for paper filters and I was doing 4 to 5,000 miles a month.

I washed it about every three services and re-oiled it. I never had any noticeable issues with any sensors or anything.

For a car I intend to keep for a while, I'd fit a K&N on economic grounds every time from my last experience.

Rob

0 0 0