1. All-Season Tyres 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just done about 500 miles on my new Hankook Optimo 4S'.

I got these because the reviews seemed good and also cheaper than full on snow tyres.

195/50/15 on a mk 3 Golf Tdi hatchback

Driving on twisty hilly welsh B and A roads.

Generally driving like the postie

Must say I'm very impressed with the grip particularly 5am Tuesday morning when the road out of the valley was impersonating a river- 1/2" of running water, 2" washouts in places.
    Very resistant to aquaplaning.
    Seem pretty good in the dry.

Hopefully they will last well too. Getting really fed up with replacing tyres on my Focus- 6000 miles from a pair of Michelins on the front.

That test could take a while though as the Golf is now hors de combat thanks to the bonnet coming up on the motorway. New windscreen needed. Insurance not covered

0 0 0

2. Re: All-Season Tyres 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Tobez ... just bought the same for my 58 reg B6 Passat tdi 140 estate. Living down in Devon,getting fed up with the cost of fitment for running both summer & winter tyres ... & this year no winter to speak of driving wise.
    Any update on how they are performing?

0 0 0

3. Re: All-Season Tyres 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Mike

Unfortunately the golf is still off the road. Due to various issues I decided to SORN it and fix everything rather than try rolling repairs. I cant do a direct comparison to other tyres as this is the first golf I've driven.
    My usual car is a mk2 focus ghia 205/50/16 and that does handle very nicely. On that I'v used Avon, Michelin and Continental and I would say that these Hankooks feel better than any of those in seriously wet conditions. (Standing water and wash outs)
    In the dry they seemed ok but as the golf is new to me I wasn't really pushing it particularly as the coilovers needed sorting (much too stiff) I think the Avon and Conti's were better in the dry. But then the tyres on the focus are wider and lower profile.
    I didn't get a chance to try them in the snow as we didn't have any until after I took the 'winter hack' off the road

How are you finding them?

0 0 0

4. Re: All-Season Tyres - Hancook Optimo 4S 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Tobez,

They seem fine so far, though they're yet to be tested to any extent ... weather here has been mainly dry & balmy & I'm still very new to this particular Passat Estate version! (previously owned both a B4 & then a B5 estate)

Passat was previously shod with new Continental Sport Contact 3s (must get round to putting these up for sale now!) on the rear & well worn Michelin Pilot Sports? (or sthg like that) on the front ... & I also indulged in a 4 wheel alignment check & adjustment as soon as the Hancooks were fitted.

They don't give quite as sharp a turn-in feel as the well worn summer tyres, but then they are brand new with thick all-weather compound tread, so I guess that's to be expected. However, in fair weather conditions they so far don't disappoint in the slightest.

I'm looking forward to more extensive "testing" just as driving throws this up.

Guess that's not exactly a useful report so far!

0 0 0