Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone,

Not knowing much about engines in general I am looking for some advice. My 120k 2.0 TFSI (engine code bpj) gave an oil pressure warning light. It turns out the oil pump disintegrated. Car was collected and mechanic listened to the engine (briefly) so engine was running albeit rattling top end.

The garage is more than happy to replace the pump but when questioning if anything else could be wrong they can offer no guarantee, which is fair enough.

I am now at the point where I need to decide if they should go ahead and do the pump and put the whole thing back together, with the possible risk of little chunks of metal etc floating around waiting to cost more cash in the future, or some other issue.

or

if I should have the engine out for a partial / full rebuild in order to ensure no stray oil pump fragments etc cause further problems.

My question, does anyone have any experience with this engine / advice on how I should move forward.

Many thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: 2.0 TFSI BPJ oil pump failed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    SOrry to hear that mate.

To be honest it is likely that there could be some metal fragments in the engine and the only way to be sure about that would be to do a complete rebuild of the engine. My question is the engine had 120k on the it anyways, now a new oil pump plus labour wont be cheap, would it? Then to eliminate the uncertainty of any metal fragments in the engine you will need a full rebuild. Thats gonna be even more expensive. Would it not be better to actually get a new/refurbished engine for that price? I'm just stating my opinion here as with 120k on the engine, a new engine wont be a bad idea especially if you are looking at spending a considerable amount of money on it.

Raj

0 0 0

3. Re: 2.0 TFSI BPJ oil pump failed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at refurbished engine suppliers today and most appear in the 'do not use' sections of forums, reviews etc with one under investigation by the bill !!, so scary stuff.
    I am going to get a quote from a reputable local engine shop for a refurb. Not sure the cost of new is in my range.
    Just wondered if anyone has come across this before, the whole 'put it back together and hope' issue with the oil pump.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2.0 TFSI BPJ oil pump failed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    check ebay, there you are sure to find something,

New engine would cost you a lot for sure as it ll be sourced from the dealers. How much have they quoted you so far for partial and complete rebuild anyways?

Raj

0 0 0

5. Re: 2.0 TFSI BPJ oil pump failed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolraj003 View Post
    check ebay, there you are sure to find something,

New engine would cost you a lot for sure as it ll be sourced from the dealers. How much have they quoted you so far for partial and complete rebuild anyways?

Raj

It may be help for guidance - I have a 2.0tdi A6 Avant, and after lengthy investigation from an Audi independent (near Uxbridge, West London) was advised I needed a new engine. The previous one had 90k miles, although the car itself was only 2 and a half years old (I bought it a few weeks before the problem manifested).

The whole job cost me £5,250, though £300-odd of that was parts and labour on a new egr valve, and another few hundred was on a new belt (and labour). It also included labour costs of diagnosis in the first place - best part of £1,000 I would think, judging from the difference between the telephone quote and the final bill (another point of contention at the time...)

So I guess the new engine itself (reconditioned, guaranteed for 12 months etc) and associated labour was some £3,600-£3,800, including (obviously) VAT. This was for a 2.0 tdi, but your would be similar-ish, I would think. Horrendous and very painful, but I can say that 12 months on, it has been faultless (cue problems now that guarantee is expiring...) and as I now have a new engine and with the rest of the car still being relatively new, I'm in a better place than if I had spent £2-£3k having an old engine fixed, but still having an old engine.

I would recommend the new engine - treat it as an investment to be amortised over the 5-6 year life for the time you own it.
    Audi A6 AVant 2.0 tdi, 2008, bought at 2.5 yrs old with 89k miles on clock, needed recon engine at 90k miles - a mere £5,250 - next time get a warranty! All else great - MMI High, bluetooth phone, Bose speakers.

0 0 0

6. Re: 2.0 TFSI BPJ oil pump failed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oil pump failure usually kills the turbo too, so bear that in mind as well.

A visual inspection from a dealer with an engine camera etc is advised to make sure as Raj said, there are no fragments in the engine.

Personally, if the block, crank and injectors are sound, I would re-build the engine you have.

0 0 0

7. Re: 2.0 TFSI BPJ oil pump failed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Seriously, if you want an exchange engine for that, only buy a genuine Audi unit. There is no engine rebuilder that I know of that you can trust, I have been using The Engine Shop but four out of the five engines we have had from them have had serous problems, one dropped a valve after 17 miles, they rebuilt it and it is about to do it again as we have discovered they used the wrong pistons!VEGE are not what they used to be either. A base unit engine from Audi is £3369.34 inc. VAT ready to build up, use a genuine timing belt kit and water pump and have the turbo rebuilt locally. I went this way on my car as I bought it like yours is now and it has given me four years faithful service so far.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

8. Re: 2.0 TFSI BPJ oil pump failed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate, I know its late but just seen your post and wondered if you got your problem sorted out. I am still going through exactly the same problem as yourself and found out that the engine code BPJ is quite a rare engine for the A6 and not many of them around. Parts are very hard to get hold of including another engine. I made a mistake and ended up with a load of con artists in heathrow (cost £1000 to get back in bits). Luckily i've now found someone that will touch it and it nearly been rebuilt. Cost around £3500 in the end.

1 0 0

9. Re: 2.0 TFSI BPJ oil pump failed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GBUDDHA View Post
    I made a mistake and ended up with a load of con artists in heathrow (cost £1000 to get back in bits). Luckily i've now found someone that will touch it and it nearly been rebuilt
    Ohh no not them again, they were on watchdog years ago.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

10. Re: 2.0 TFSI BPJ oil pump failed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    An even later reply.

So, in the end. Had the oil pump replaced and the engine flushed a couple of times. £1600.

Nothing but servicing, plugs, oil, cambelt etc, thereafter, for 110,000 miles, until the head gasket went @ 230,000.

Head gasket. The story is long. But after replacing the inlet cam and associated (damage due to incorrect refit by mechanic) , still going at 275,000, albeit a little rattle here and there.

Just wondering how many TFSI's have managed 275,000. Hoping it will get to 300,000 and believe it me, it ain't had an easy life. The pedal on the right is a switch, more often than not.

Lucky me maybe.

If they recommend replacing the engine anyway, I seen no harm in throwing it all back together and hoping luck is smiling down on you.

2 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast