Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecamp30908 View Post
    Hi,just an update re the starting issue,it turns out to be the Start,Access and Authorisation Module which turns out is an integral part of the steering colum which means the steering colum has to be replaced and is in the dealers now(who have been by the way fantastic) and should be back on the road early next week.
    Had an aftermarket warranty (RAC Gold Plan) and of course the unit is not covered,I really wonder if any of these warranties are worth the paper they are written on,but it won't be left at their refusal,more to follow.
    Thanks for the assistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTM View Post
    Remember to ask them for the old unit back, and also (since I'm assuming you're paying for it?) a printed scan of the car.

No idea where you or your fantastic dealer is located since you don't have a location listed...probably a good idea for the future as that way local forum users with VCDS could have run a free scan for you
    Hi Mark,

OPs post is dated 12-01-2012,06:11 PM , last activity on account 10-02-2013 09:34 PM , Bluecamp30908 profile page.

mark.lownsbro bumped an old thread by his post.

0 0 0

2. Re: 3.0tdi quattro wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Ooops!
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 0 0

3. Re: 3.0tdi quattro wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecamp30908 View Post
    Hi,just an update re the starting issue,it turns out to be the Start,Access and Authorisation Module which turns out is an integral part of the steering colum which means the steering colum has to be replaced and is in the dealers now(who have been by the way fantastic) and should be back on the road early next week.
    Had an aftermarket warranty (RAC Gold Plan) and of course the unit is not covered,I really wonder if any of these warranties are worth the paper they are written on,but it won't be left at their refusal,more to follow.
    Thanks for the assistance.

Talking about paper warranties are written on, the best one I ever used outside a dealer was "Warranty wise" it was not cheap (about £1000/year on 70k 5 year old) but never argued, currently using "Warranty direct" around £400/ year on a 4yr old 70k (both A6 3.0Tdi) and no end of problems with them trying to cut down the labour & parts covered.

Glad your getting it sorted, nice car A6 C6 3.0TDi Quattro , I had a 2007 one..
    2016 (B9) A4 Saloon S line 3.0 TDI quattro 272 PS tiptronic
    2012 (C7) A6 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Line, S-tronic, Sports Diff. 242PS
    2010 (C6) A6 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Line, Tiptronic, Le Mans. 233PS

0 0 0

4. Re: 3.0tdi quattro wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Mark,
    my07 q7 has started playing up. It randomly fails to start but shows no error codes etc, I've just replaced the battery and now it's still doing it. Drive it 15 miles park it up then 1hr later it fails to start, does this sound similar to your issue?

regards

kenny

0 0 0

5. Re: 3.0tdi quattro wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes that is the same problem as I had, fault continue until I fitted new starter motor, engine wouldn't spin over quick enough to fire,
    Once the engine reaches a certain temperature the glow plug won't work, I had the same problem in warm weather, had this problem for 18month, everyone garage advised me not change the starter but I decided to go with own instincts as a qualified HGV fitter
    Bingo problem solved
    Since fitting a new genuine Bosch starter motor 8months ago the car has never failed to start,
    Turn the key it fire up all weathers in 3/4seconds max
    Unless you have the equipment it's isn't a easy job,
    I had to drop the front sub frame to get starter motor out, 4.5hour job.

0 0 0

6. Re: 3.0tdi quattro wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Which battery did you put in and what did you use to read fault codes (and which ECU did you read)? Have you checked live measuring blocks for main terminals and voltages with ignition on, engine running etc?

When you are trying to start what does it do exactly? Does the starter motor turn, do the lights go off etc?

0 0 0

7. Re: 3.0tdi quattro wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I plug in my Dyagnostic lap-top
    Didn't have any fault codes,
    I fitted a new Bosch battery, I had the battery programmed into to car, lasted about 6 weeks then the problem came back,
    The local auto electric service's couldn't find any faults also,
    Not sure how or what they tested,
    They told me next it happens ring them,
    Hence I went against his advice and bought a starter motor problem solved in my case

0 0 0

8. Re: 3.0tdi quattro wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I was actually asking Kendo

What hard/software are you running on your 'diagnostic laptop'? You can read out starter rpm with the right diagnostics h/w & s/w.

0 0 0

9. Re: 3.0tdi quattro wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mark,

ive taken it to an auto electrical mechanic who checked to see if the battery was draining, for over 2hrs. There was .03 for a drain which they said was more than exceptable, however they stated it had the wrong battery on it (it was replaced 2 weeks earlier by a mechanic). A new varta was fitted and has been good until tonight!! The wife come home from work, parked up for an hour then went to go shopping and it wouldn't start!! No warning lights come on, and the battery seems fine however it wouldn't start. An hour later she went back to it with the spare key and it fired up straight away �� Confused

0 0 0

10. Re: 3.0tdi quattro wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Have the starter speed checked, that is what I tried to hint in my posts above..... you should get around 200-250rpm.
    .03 drain, what unit is that meant to be? 0.03V, 0.03A? Was the battery in the car while this was measured? It can take a long time for the car to go completely to sleep so a current measurement can be higher before the CAN bus goes to sleep.

If the starter speed is too low it won't start. Easiest way is to use VCDS (look for someone on the VCDS user map - I live in Malvern for example) and log it and check it with VAG scope afterwards.
    It is quite common that older starter motors get slow and don't manage to get quite enough power to spin up engine sufficiently - on a petrol this won't matter too much because you have a spark plug igniting fuel. On a compression reliant engine you need quite a lot more revs to get sufficient temperature increase for auto ignition.

Fault codes are like toddlers, they might be able to tell you where it hurts but since they can't talk properly I would not solely rely on them or trust everything is OK in their absence.

1 1 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast