1. Parking Break Fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yip another one. the fault code only came on today "Parking Brake Fault", and will still release the calipers......... am i on borrowed time, or do u tink it could be the switch as it is allowing the calipers to release. The Motors do make a hell of noise when the EPB is engaged, disengaged. Any help appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: Parking Break Fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The switch is certainly the cheapest option, about £25 from the dealer and 2 minutes to change. I was the same last winter and I ended up changing both calipers.

If you have a torx set I would take off the motors and check them for cracking which has been the problem for most people.

Look at Martins site.

http://sites.google.com/site/1810mar...ric-park-brake

He gives a really easy to follow guide on the brakes.

HTH

0 0 0

3. Re: Parking Break Fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Defo not the switch. Was in VW dealership getting prices for replacement, after the shock of the £834 quote i went outside and started chatting to one of there mechanics. I decided, lets play with fire, and let him hear the noise that the brakes made. After making a funny face he agreed with me that it is goosed. So then went to drive away, and the thing packed in, flashing lights on dashboard and stuck solid. Luckily it managed to free itself after 5 minutes of consantly playing with the parking button.

BAH HUMBUG lol

0 0 0

4. Re: Parking Break Fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I assume that price is for 2 new calipers fitted? They aren't that difficult to replace. How much are they charging for labour out of interest. I think I paid about £600 for the calipers and then fitted them myself.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thats for 2 motors, and labour, no calipers just the motors!! I Thot it was fairly steep, think I'll try another vw dealer!

0 0 0

6. Re: Parking Break Fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The motors I think are around £200 each, I couldn't get them and put on the full caliper with motor attached. That sounds really expensive. What dealer quoted you? I got the complete units from Arnold Clark VW in Fenwick Rd. I did get a discount as my brother has an account with them.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    That's the feckin place I got quoted, stay in shawlands so was the closest! Since u bought the calipers complete with the parking motor, did u have to use the vcds software to configure the piston etc?? Or did u just stick the calipers on and that was it!??

0 0 0

8. Re: Parking Break Fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I stay in the Mearns. I am lucky that I was a mechanic years ago and my brother has his own garage in Troon with the equipment to reset the computer.

If you are just changing the motors then you won't need to reset the pistons to there service position as they will already be there. You might be lucky after replacing the motors, disconnect the battery and when the system resets with any luck it wont detect a fault.

The motors are only held on by 2 torx bolts and the wiring connector. You could easily do it yourself if you don't mind trying. Give me a PM if you need any more help or advice. If you want I could try and get a quote through my brother for the parts but it would be next week now as he is closed for a few days.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Shall pm in a bit or so!!

0 0 0

10. Re: Parking Break Fault. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My problem started same way.After a couple of weeks of intermittent operation the brakes finally stuck on... Result was a new Electronic module for £400,fitted. I had new calipers fitted by dealer (complete with disc & pads) some three weeks earlier for £980. I just love electronics..

0 0 0