Notices

User Tag List

Thread: CR Engines, Do they all have DPF?

1. CR Engines, Do they all have DPF? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    I currently have a B5 Passat Estate with ultra reliable AWX engine.
    I'm looking to upgrade to a newer (2008) Passat with CR engine.
    Does anyone know if they all ( only interested in 110 or 140 BHP models ) come with a DPF.
    How can you tell which are the CR engines without taking off the engine cover.
    Thanks in anticipation.

0 0 0

2. Re: CR Engines, Do they all have DPF? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes all CR engines will have DPF. You can tell wehter its PD or CR from the engine code.

0 0 0

3. Re: CR Engines, Do they all have DPF? 
    DSG4ME Guest
    PD Engine cover III CR ///

0 0 0

4. Re: CR Engines, Do they all have DPF? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies.
    Seems to me I would probably be best to avoid the CR engine then as I do lots of short journeys where the engine would barely get up to working temperature, with the odd long one.
    There doesn't seem to be many people reporting problems with the DPF but I think the system would be constantly trying to regenerate during short journeys.
    Has anyone gone from a 130 PD engine to a CR & found poorer MPG?

0 0 0

5. Re: CR Engines, Do they all have DPF? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My car is from around the changeover time from PD to CR. The list price was a couple of hundred more, the claimed mpg a smidge better and people reckon they are smoother and give a better drive. I can't vouch for this, 'cos I've only got a short PD test drive for comparison, but given all the PD problems people report I'm glad I have what I have.

As for the DPF, my journeys are much the same as yours. Almost exclusively short stuff, with a 2 x 50 miles jaunt every 6 weeks. Never a murmer from the DPF. The only time I know it is there is the odd occasion when the cooling fan runs on after turning off the ignition because it was part way through a regen. It's a DSG model and I'm an old duffer, so I reckon I give it the worst set of circumstances in which to get gummed up.

If you don't have a DPF on your next car (which will have to be pre-mid-2008) then it will be on the one after that. Pretty much all of them have DPF now, even the little tin boxes, so there is no escape and the logic would then mean that you have to move to petrol.

I've seen some issues mentioned on here with DPF. In some cases, I seem to remember from previous posts that some of the cars have been remapped. Probably not all, and it's not my place to criticise what others choose to do with their cars, but I would advise due caution when people inadvertently give a dog a bad name.
    Driving - Shiny new E350 Estate.. Just Arrived - Aggh! a C-Max. What have I done?
    Just Gone - 2008 Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG Estate + toys, 2007 Golf GTI

Once, cars were simple and I was smart. Now things are the other way around.

0 0 0

6. Re: CR Engines, Do they all have DPF? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Thanks for your input Teflon.
    It's interesting that you have had no problems despite all the short journeys, perhaps I am worrying needlessly.
    What MPG do you average?
    I usually get about 45mpg around town & between 55 - 62 on a run keeping below 70mph, that's from the car computer which seems fairly accurate.
    I will be away from the puter until next week, so will catch up then.

0 0 0

7. Re: CR Engines, Do they all have DPF? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Using only the on board computer, which some folks reckons is a bit optimistic, I''ve been 42mpg average across all driving types for the first 20k miles. Hate petrol stations, so I usually fill right up - this and my girth means that I'm carrying a lot more weight than I could.

Remember also that I have a DSG. The marketing blurb says that it is as economical as a manual but I don't quite buy into this since it does seem to hold on to a gear a little longer than my ear would like. On the plus side, you can't persecute the engine and chug along like some people do, so it will be a great buy for the next owner.

Around town, it easily hits 38mpg once warmed up.

A long motorway run with the cruise set at 80mph (74mph actual), or a meander across the other side of the Pennines both work out at about 52mpg. I reckon that the cruise costs a couple of mpg, because it works in the opposite sense to how a proper, obsessive fuel miser would drive.

My best was a leisurely 480 miles to the south coast and back in October with the car absolutely stuffed with luggage and the tyres pumped up to match. That ended up at 59.2mpg, which seemed pretty good to me. Maybe its loosening up a bit and getting more economical.

19 miles around town today was 42.2mpg.

P.S. If you are looking for a 2008, this was the changeover year from PD to CR. I ordered mine in May, but the only PD's available were ex-run-down stock. Also, this is when trim options changed from SE to Highline. The Highline was a cracking deal with lots of kit. Some people prefer the Sport, but I just couldn't see the logic of paying more money for less car.
    Last edited by Teflon; 16-12-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Driving - Shiny new E350 Estate.. Just Arrived - Aggh! a C-Max. What have I done?
    Just Gone - 2008 Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG Estate + toys, 2007 Golf GTI

Once, cars were simple and I was smart. Now things are the other way around.

0 0 0

8. Re: CR Engines, Do they all have DPF? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info Teflon.
    My PD130 estate has 120k on the clock, which being well & truly run in does help to contribute to getting good MPG.
    As you say, the DSG will almost certainly detract from the MPG.
    I think I would prefer to go with the newer CR as you havn't had any DPF problems, but may opt for the old PD 1896cc & make do with the 105BHP.
    I'll have to see what becomes available in the New Year.

0 0 0

9. Re: CR Engines, Do they all have DPF? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Well, I didn't have to wait for the New Year.
    I saw a CR Highline Estate with high miles on it & went to view & test drive last week.
    It had some stone chips to the bonnet, otherwise it was in good condition & drove faultlessly apart from having an airbag warning light up, so I bought it.
    So far it is doing similar MPG to my old PD130 Estate.
    My wife has an older 53 reg PD130 saloon, so we are going to sell that & she will have my old estate.
    Just hope everything stays hunky-dorey with the CR, time will tell.

0 0 0