Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

So I'm pretty sure from what I've read that one of the vent actuators is gone in my 02 Diesel A4. There is no air coming out of the windscreen vent or the centre vents, only out the sides and to the floor.

As I can't afford to get this fixed I was hoping I could do it myself. I know that the actuators are just behind the glovebox and that I can get at it just by taking this out. I heard there was a way that I could open the flap on the broken actuator and just leave it opened until I can afford to buy the new part. That way at least I'll be able to see out the window when driving.

I was hoping someone who knows about this could walk me through it. Like the tools I'll need to get the glovebox out and what to do to open the flap and keep it open. Also if anyone has the part that I'm looking for second hand I'd like to buy it.

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Windscreen Demister Vent Actuator Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Get the glove box out 3 bolts along the top (lid open) couple along the bottom,1 one the end cover and one under the cd player,lift it out be careful of the light connector,the green lever is the one you want for the screen,remove the motor and report back and I'll tell you how to fix it.

1 0 0

3. Re: Windscreen Demister Vent Actuator Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks nevo. Ok I have the glovebox out and I can see the green lever. so im supposed to remove the box that the green lever is connected to?

0 0 0

4. Re: Windscreen Demister Vent Actuator Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Thats it,it'll say bosch on the side,take the 3 bolts out and let it hang on the wires,you can try it using the manual arrow on the unit,usually the motors stick ,anyway remove it and get it on the bench and split it in half,you may need to cut 2 of the clips,try and save as many as you can for reassembly,with it in half you need to try the 12v motor make sure its not burnt out, if it is then its curtains but usually it'll be ok,next lube the worm gear with silicon grease then reassemble.The central flaps are controlled by the motor above the one connected to the red lever same again.

6 1 0

5. Re: Windscreen Demister Vent Actuator Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right so, took off the motor box and opened it up. Then I connected it back up to see and it is spinning away alright. It seems to be a bit tired though and is stalling a little while its spinning. I dont have any silicone grease but I do have "Easy Grease" which is just like WD40. Will the do the job? And where exactly should i spray it ? Thanks!

2 1 0

6. Re: Windscreen Demister Vent Actuator Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    If you've no silicon grease use a little multi-purpose on the white gears,wd40 type spray will work but will dry out after a short time and stick again.

0 0 0

7. Re: Windscreen Demister Vent Actuator Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just opened the motor for the centre vents now and there is big blobs of vaseline in there, so this obviously happened to the last owner too.

0 0 0

8. Re: Windscreen Demister Vent Actuator Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All sorted now, just freed them out with some more vaseline and everything is working as it should. Thanks for the help nevo

0 0 0

9. Re: Windscreen Demister Vent Actuator Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi chaps, glad you got your sorted, gives me hope! Have a similar problem but I'm only getting cold air on the drivers side. Audi kindly ran diagnostics for me and found v70 and v159 motors have failed. They then wanted £550 to replace! My question is which of the motors under the dash are these ones so I can try and repair them myself!

0 0 0

10. Re: Windscreen Demister Vent Actuator Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forum,did you get sorted or still need help?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast