Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [/QUOTE]Hi guy not been on for a wile but here goes,
    A friends A4 2.0 tdi 2005 has got the dreaded oil pump problem and Iv been doing some research on the oil pump and how it works.

The car has been noisy for ages and just recently he tells me the low oil pressure warning has come on.
    It is fine on tic over but when revved the warning comes on.
    This is what i think has happened, I think the noise is the chain flapping about thus causing the hex drive that links the balance shaft to the oil pump has rounded but not failed.

My idea as there is no money to fix is to strip it down and have a machine shop look to see if the hex drive and balance shaft can be modified to go back on the car the buy the chain kit off ebay for £220 ish then hopefully have a working car.
    audi oil pump.jpg

Has anyone had anything similar done or have a opinion on this that is helpfully, thank you.
    Last edited by rob160; 30-11-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: add pic

0 0 0

2. Re: 2.0 tdi oil pump 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have found more info from the scoda site and a posable solution. I seems that the transverse engines that are in the golf and octavior dont have balence shafts in the oil pump and are chain driven but never fail so I am thinking of fitting one of these pumps to solve the problem if they are cheap enough.
    I've heard conflicting info in the past on whether the BKD has a balancer shaft or not, but looking again at ETKA the 2.0PD AZV, BKD, BMN engines (in the mk2 Octavia for example) all use the same chain driven oil pump and drive, with no balancer shaft module fitted to any of them. None of these engines seem to have oil pump problems.

In the mk1 Superb the 2.0PD BSS and BWW both have the same gear driven oil pump with balancer shaft. In a similarly aged 2.0PD Passat the balancer shaft looks very similar to the Superb's but according to Etka it was chain driven and the part number is one letter different. Compare this to a 2009 Mk2 Superb 2.0PD and the part number changes yet again, but gear driven. The part number on an Audi A4 2.0PD is different again, but also gear driven!

It's a minefield, but the common factor seems to be that the 'Golf-sized' 2.0PD cars don't have a balancer shaft, and therefore don't have oil pump drive problems. The 'Passat-sized' 2.0PD cars do have a balancer shafts, and can have oil pump drive problems, but may not do depending on which particular pump/shaft setup is fitted.

0 0 0

3. Re: 2.0 tdi oil pump 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Part of the problem is that this defect is not limited to a single batch of balancer units. The manufacturing problem existed for at least 18 months and varied in severity. Whilst it is unlikely that they would want to recall Skodas, I'm sure they would have issued a recall on the Audis if they could.

The problem with the balancer unit is now fixed but VAG won't say when and won't even give an upper limit to chassis numbers that were affected.

As I said in an earlier post, the problem is with lack of concentricity of the drive socket into which the drive rod fits. Since I've started looking at this problem, I've seen three cars where the drive socket is off centre by at least 0.1mm. In engineering terms, this is a massive defect. Since I've starting checking the concentricity, all the drive sockets in the failed units were off centre, but all the replacement balancer units were dead centre and have not led to a repeat failure. Some replacement balancer units have now done 150k+ miles.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2.0 tdi oil pump 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

0 0 0