1. new member with power steering issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, I've just purchased a 2008 golf gt tdi 140, the problem I have is when I have the steering near on full lock but not quite full on and pull away from a standstill I get this noise as if I have no fluid in the steering but apparently it doesn't use fluid, is that correct? Any ideas what it could be? It doesn't happen if the car is at a standstill and I'm turning the wheel, its only as I pull away! Any help is much appreciated, cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: new member with power steering issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As far as I know all Mk5's use power steering fluid and I would check the level in the reservoir.

Any clicking or knocking noise on turning (at slow speed on full-lock) would normally indicate to me a lack of constant velocity joint lubricant, possibly due to a damaged gaiter. Or a worn outer c.v. joint.

1 0 0

3. Re: new member with power steering issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All Mk5's have electric assisted power steering,so have no fluid reservoir at all.They can make some odd noises when on the extremes of lock,usually nothing to worry about as long as the noise is not particularly loud.

1 0 0

4. Re: new member with power steering issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Would you say this heading covers it "mooing noises in bends" or is it only when turning left?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: new member with power steering issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Would you say this heading covers it "mooing noises in bends" or is it only when turning left?
    it is a mooing noise but only when pulling away with the steering near on full lock, I'm not 100%
    Sure but I think it maybe only when turning to the left, I will check for sure after work, what do you suggest that could be? Thank you

0 0 0

6. Re: new member with power steering issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sky5020 View Post
    All Mk5's have electric assisted power steering,so have no fluid reservoir at all.They can make some odd noises when on the extremes of lock,usually nothing to worry about as long as the noise is not particularly loud.
    Sorry mav84, sky5020 is correct, and I stand corrected. My Haynes manual for the Mk5 Manual No. 4610 makes reference to a Power steering fluid level check under the Contents section of Chapter 10, but when one reads further into the chapter it confirms that there are in fact no hydraulic components. How ambiguous and misleading. I apologise for my mistake. How embarrassing!

1 0 0

7. Re: new member with power steering issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The mooing when pulling away is normal degraded transmission fluid so a change of gearbox oil usually stops it and I like to add Slick 50 gearbox treatment to help. The noise when turning left normal indicates a faulty steering rack although re greasing the rack and pinion gears can help sometimes.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

8. Re: new member with power steering issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The mooing when pulling away is normal degraded transmission fluid so a change of gearbox oil usually stops it and I like to add Slick 50 gearbox treatment to help. The noise when turning left normal indicates a faulty steering rack although re greasing the rack and pinion gears can help sometimes.
    Ok well it is also doing it when I steer to the right! Not as much I don't think but its for sure making the same noise. How comes it only makes a noise to the left if it was to be the rack? Thanks for your help

0 0 0

9. Re: new member with power steering issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    That is due to the design of the rack.

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

10. Re: new member with power steering issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my jetta makes a noise alsoonly full left lock but was told it was normal