Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Upgrade to a B8

1. Upgrade to a B8 
    daled Guest
    I have a B7 2.0TDI 170 quattro and am thinking of upgrading to a B8, but am unsure as to whether to go for equivalent (2.0TDI 170 quattro) or the 3.0TDI quattro or even the 2.0TFSI quattro

Any advice or pointers greatfully received

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Upgrade to a B8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    3.0 quattro. you wont be dissapointed

0 0 0

3. Re: Upgrade to a B8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you have the budget for all 3 then yeah sure go for the 3.0, why not? - best of everything. Of course get a test drive in all 3. For sure the 2.0 TFSI quattro is going to feel a bit more lively i would imagine being petrol and a bit lighter than the 3.0 but im sure the sheer power and torque of the 3.0 make up for that. If its a budget related question the equivalent to what you have now is going to be the best option..then of course mileage etc has to be taken into consideration. etc!
    2.7tdi sline Avant

0 0 0

4. Re: Upgrade to a B8 
    Rhino at Work Guest
    If like me you want diesel, quattro and auto then 3.0 is the only option - it's a dirty job but someone's got to do it!

Had the car a month now and am loving it.

0 0 0

5. Re: Upgrade to a B8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Choice is usually dictated by upper budget level I thought.

If I was willing to pay for the 3.0 TDI it would always be the choice over any of the above, it would probably have more useable grunt than the 2.0TFSI and be better on fuel.

0 0 0

6. Re: Upgrade to a B8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dale

I have test driven both the 2.0 TDI 170 quattro and 3.0 TDI quattro (s-tronic)

I had an extended test drive in the 3.0, it is great car and coupled with the s-tronic just makes it. This car can make fast progress with little effort. I average about 30 mpg with a spiritted drive. This should be easily be increased.

The 170 quattro is great car also, but has to be worked harder to extract the performance. The flip side is if driven normally you should be able to achieve 50 mpg.

If you can afford the extra costs I would go for the 3.0 but the 2.0 is no slouch. A test drive will give you all the answers.

Ham

0 0 0

7. Re: Upgrade to a B8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think that the 3.0TDI is a great engine with two distinct characters: it's effortless, smooth and quiet at low-mid revs or if you want to let the hooligan in you out for a while then drop a gear or two and enjoy the noise which is pretty good for an oil-burner. On paper the 2.0T looks pretty close but that's down to the fact that it gets to 60 in second gear and I don't think it has anything like the real-world performance. Of course I do miss the rev range of a petrol but I think that the extra mid-range grunt of the diesel more than makes up for that.

Economy on long runs is good - I get around 45 sticking to the speed limit and watching the right foot, still around 40 when cracking on or 35-40 playing on the back roads. The big weakness is the length of time that the engine takes to warm up. In summer it's not so bad (maybe 5-10 mins of reasonable driving) but in cold weather it can take 20 minutes at 70 on the dual carriageway before it gets up to full heat. I don't do many short runs but I often see mpg averages in the low twenties for quick runs out to the shops in winter so bear this in mind if you do lots of short trips.

Hope this is helpful. Have a drive of them all, maybe do a few sums around the running costs and then come back here and we'll help you make up your mind.
    Audi A4 (B9) Avant 3.0 TDI (272) Quattro with lots of toys

0 0 0