Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Engine violent shake on hot start (2.0tdi)

1. Engine violent shake on hot start (2.0tdi) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wondering if anyone can help. Recently I have noticed a bad shake when I start from hot. It always starts but feels very wrong. sometimes it chugs a bit on tick over too when first started from cold but this is my first diesel and not sure if that's normal.

I did think engine mounts but these seem fine.

About 6 weeks ago my EGR was replaced due to the shaft breaking in half. I did not notice the shake before that.

I have been reading and the flywheel has cropped up but I don't seem to get any of the other symptoms.

Any ideas?

btw its a 55 2.0tdi A4 multitronic avant

1 0 0

2. Re: Engine violent shake on hot start (2.0tdi) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Definately sounds like the dual mass flywheel. I had same symptoms, cost about
    £800 from an indy
    2.0Tdi Avant

0 0 0

3. Re: Engine violent shake on hot start (2.0tdi) 
    dockermel Guest
    mine still does it. had new flywheel,cleaned the egr.. no one seems to know what causes it.lots of different threads on here about it and lots of fixes.. but they havent worked for me.

0 0 0

4. Re: Engine violent shake on hot start (2.0tdi) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    check mvb 13 and check the fuel rail pressure at the tandem pump as well as the crank speed because if the dmf is failing it will imbalance the crank rpm which in turn will affect injection

if the crank rpm is in order then the dmf is fine and you need to look at injection pressure for blowpass

don't ignore fuel temp and coolant temp and egr flow but crank rpm is the first port of call (you may need to scope it but it can be seen with vcds in mvb's)

drain some fuel into a clear glass and leave it for 2 hours, if the fuel is dark then dont be alarmed

if there is excess soot it will stick to the glass and this indicates blow pass of combustion gases at the injector seats or seals

if excess oil then it may be a build up over time or the tandem pump is leaking oil into the fuel port and returning to the tank
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

1 0 0

5. Re: Engine violent shake on hot start (2.0tdi) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dockermel View Post
    mine still does it. had new flywheel,cleaned the egr.. no one seems to know what causes it.lots of different threads on here about it and lots of fixes.. but they havent worked for me.
    Hi, did you solved the problem? I changed the battery almost a year ago, and this improved a lot the bad start (80-90%) but did not sort it out entirely. I was feared the DMF is culprit but you changed it and no effect. HMM...
    Let me know if you have any news that would heal our engines.\\

BTW, I do want to know why forum users (read "losers") like me don`t have the right to PM other users until no. of posts reached 10. It`s a stupid rule, I can understand that not anyone is allowed to start a new thread, he must first search the forum to find if his problem has been discussed. But what damage can i do if I address directly a question to another forum user?

1 0 0

6. Re: Engine violent shake on hot start (2.0tdi) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have a similar problem, my 2.0tdi starts perfectly 95% of the time but occasionally it tries to start sounds very clattery and then cuts out, upon restarting it always starts fine !
    theres no fault codes with vcds, any ideas guys ?

0 0 0

7. Re: Engine violent shake on hot start (2.0tdi) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have now noticed that my car only has trouble starting when it is upto temp, turned off for 5 mins then tried to be started again.
    if left for 15 mins or over it starts perfectly same as if it is turned of and restarted within 5 mins.
    very strange and still no fault code.

0 0 0