2. Re: Replace a Clutch Switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 07 plat Audi A4 is around 119,000 miles and the cruise control has stopped working, I will try the clutch pedal switch and see how I get on and let you all know if that was the problem.

0 0 0

3. Re: Replace a Clutch Switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    pdlh, thanks for taking the time to put together the guide! Was most helpful! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pdlh View Post
    After trawling the web to try and understand what was involved in replacing a clutch switch on my 2007 A4, I could find very little information, and after all the help I've received from Sarge, Yemi and A8 tech, I've made a guide which might help others on their quest to repair their A4's suffering from "Clutch Switch Failure" :-)

It's quite interesting to note how different the new improved clutch switch is, far more robust than the factory fitted version.

I'm not saying this is the same switch or process for all A4's, however this was the case for my 2007 2.0tdi 170 avant. It might help you along the way

I hope someone finds this useful.

Paul

0 0 0

4. Talking Re: Replace a Clutch Switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TSAudi View Post
    My 07 plat Audi A4 is around 119,000 miles and the cruise control has stopped working, I will try the clutch pedal switch and see how I get on and let you all know if that was the problem.
    The Clutch switch was the problem and this thread saved me £££££'s only cost £11.95 for the clutch switch and thanks to the guide did it in around 15 minuted. piece of cake. thanks

0 0 0

5. Re: Replace a Clutch Switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlh View Post
    After trawling the web to try and understand what was involved in replacing a clutch switch on my 2007 A4, I could find very little information, and after all the help I've received from Sarge, Yemi and A8 tech, I've made a guide which might help others on their quest to repair their A4's suffering from "Clutch Switch Failure" :-)

It's quite interesting to note how different the new improved clutch switch is, far more robust than the factory fitted version.

I'm not saying this is the same switch or process for all A4's, however this was the case for my 2007 2.0tdi 170 avant. It might help you along the way

I hope someone finds this useful.

Paul
    This guide looks great and from what everyone says I think I have the same problem. I was wondering however whether I would be able to do the diagnostic test you did on something like this:

U281 VW Audi Skoda Seat VAG CAN BUS Fault Code Reader Scanner diagnostic tool UK | eBay

What do you think?

0 0 0

6. Re: Replace a Clutch Switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, you won't be able to perform any test with that device. All it will do is read fault codes and I don't remember there being a fault code when my clutch switch failed. I used VCDS to determine that it was faulty.

0 0 0

7. Re: Replace a Clutch Switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you have the Rosstech cable, then this is easy to diagnose: Google for a guide, but essentially you fire up the software and in the "Engine" section, "Measuring Blocks", "Group 006" you will see a specific combination of four digit numbers that tell you the status of the clutch and brake switches.... if you push or release a pedal, then they should change... if they don't change, then the switch is broken....

The symptoms were that the cruide control would not engage (intermittently at first, but after a few weeks/month, it is permanently off) and is an intermittent combination of the amber warning and/or glow-plug lights: I think it was most commonly just the glow-plug light.... usually about 5mins into a journey, full ignitiion off and back on cleared it for a few minutes. It happened every 2nd / 3rd journey for a few weeks, then stopped for >2 months, then happened every journey until I started digging around and replaced the brake and clutch switches*...

*I forget which way around it happened, but the first sweep with the Rosstech showed what was described as the classic error for one of the switches (clutch, I think!) and then once I'd replaced that, it showed the classis error for the other one... another £10 and another 10 mins in the footwell later and it was sorted: cruise control working fine and the errors gone until I sold the car to a friend who never had a problem until he sold it on 6 months later (he just preferred the fuel economy of his 2.0TDI fwd)....
    Audi A6 (C7) Avant: 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, MMI touch, SDS high, LED headlight pack, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.
    Previous: A4 (B6) V6 TDI quattro Sport, A3 (8L) 1.8T Sport, Golf (Mk3) Cabriolet GTI.

0 0 0

8. Re: Replace a Clutch Switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=kite;783240]The cruise control stopped working on my 2008 a4 tdi avant, just been to a garage and have been told Audi now build the switch into the cylinder head which ks a much bigger job and will cost parts and labour. This will cost 350 pounds instead of the 17.99 simple part change. Why have Audi made this so much more expensive?

0 0 0

9. Re: Replace a Clutch Switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oi! First time poster here on this forum... Thanks to google for the powers of search and all you who have posted.

the cruise control on my 2007 A4 2.0 hadn't worked since i purchased it used two years ago. With the number of folks who had this issue licked with the clutch switch replacement, I decided to risk the effort and expense and get the part to give it a go. Local parts store dinged me $55 CDN. Hate to think what the dealer would have done to me.

Glad I went to the effort. Though i fussed with it for more than the average 5-10 mins, it is a simple job and by-gawd it worked. The part came from Italy (other posters talked about Malta or something?), is blue, and didn't fit all that well into the locking position. It was oriented correctly but would tend to spin as the clutch was depressed and released as the plastic locking gap on the part was bigger than the OEM part. Whatever. Some contractor grade metal duct tape did the trick and should last for as long as i will own the beast.

I did depress the clutch upon first install and upon gentle release, the noise that resulted from the contact on the push-pin of the switch had me thinking I had knackered it totally but I bolted it back up and it worked fine. Phew.

Again many thanks to all.

0 0 0

10. Re: Replace a Clutch Switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello mate...
    I followed your 'how to' to the letter and using the newer 7HO switch as per your write-up.
    After fitting it, when the clutch pedal relaxed against the switch, there was a horrible crunch sound from the switch that sounded a lot like the sound of pure doom....
    The cruise control doesnt work now and i suspect the new switch is *******.
    Looked all over the internet and theres too much conflicting info on what is the right way to install the switch.
    What is the actual correct way to install? Pedal depressed or pedal relaxed...?
    Or have audi sold me a dud?

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast