1. bent drive belt tensioner audi a4 1.9tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello, my 1999 audi a4 1.9tdi needs a bit of work doing.

as you can see from the picture the fan/alternator belt is coming off due to a bent tensioner. I want to replace this myself but need a little guideance on what parts/tools i require.

I have read that the cause for this bending might be due to the alternator, what do i need to check for when the belt is removed?

Will i have enough space to replace the tensioner without removing the fan/radiatior?

0 0 0

2. Re: bent drive belt tensioner audi a4 1.9tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I pull the front of the car forward into service position which means taking the front bumper off.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: bent drive belt tensioner audi a4 1.9tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for your quick reply, after removing the bumper do i need to remove the radiator/fan?

also can anyone provide me with a part number for the tensioner that needs replacing.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can get the tensioner out without shifting the lock carrier forward into the service position but it's extremely tight. As Crasher says its far easier putting it into service position to give yourself room to work.

The tensioner is held in place by a single 16mm nut accessed from the rear below the alternator, you will need at least about a 6in extension bar to reach. In order to get the tensioner out you are going to have to remove the viscous fan pulley too as this fouls the tensioner body.

The fan pulley is held in place by a single T50 bolt, again accessed from the rear. You will need to counter-hold the fan pulley with either a rubber or fabric strap wrench DO NOT use a chain type wrench or you will score the pulley and this will eat belts. Alternatively you could buy audis special tool for holding the pulley - not sure of cost for this as i used a strap wrench Once the pulley is off you can gently lower it down to ensure you don't damage radiator fins and then release the tensioner.

Refit opposite of removal. Remember to use a new belt regardless of how good the old one looks. The tensioner pulley bolt is a left-hand thread so you can use a spanner on the bolt to fit the new belt.

I got a new tensioner for my '99 tdi from eBay - the seller was GSF who also have their own web page. Think the price was £44. Auxiliary belt was about £6 from the local motor factor.

Good luck

0 0 0

5. Thumbs up Re: bent drive belt tensioner audi a4 1.9tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, its been a while since I opened this thread but Id like to say thankyou for your inputs! They helped me alot more than the dammed haynes manual that I purchased!

I managed (with a great deal of difficulty) to replace the tensioner without shifting the lock carrier forward

I struggled to get the alternator off as one of the bolts that held it on was blocked to come all the way out by the fan! After about an hour of cursing whacking and wobbling i managed to move the bushes enough to get that bolt out and the alternator off.

My next hurdle was getting the viscous fan off!
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    You will need to counter-hold the fan pulley with either a rubber or fabric strap wrench DO NOT use a chain type wrench or you will score the pulley and this will eat belts. Alternatively you could buy audis special tool for holding the pulley - not sure of cost for this as i used a strap wrench Once the pulley is off you can gently lower it down to ensure you don't damage radiator fins and then release the tensioner
    Many thanks for this crucial advice Frank, without it I would have knackered the fan pulley! I tried numerous times to get a good hold on the pulley using a rubber bike inner tube and a G-Clamp to no avail. Eventually I went to Halfords and got a Oil Filter removal tool and used it in conjunction with the inner tube. Voila - the fan came off in seconds! I returned this tool right back to halfords after I was finnished

replacing the tensioner was a breeze and then with an extra pair of hands putting the new belt on wasn't 'too' much of a struggle either.

All in all very rewarding job!

Thanks again.

0 0 0

6. Re: bent drive belt tensioner audi a4 1.9tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whats the big deal about puting the front of the car into the service position its dead easy and only takes about 20-25 min. why did you take the alternator of did you find something wrong with it?
    A4 110SE TDI

0 0 0

7. Re: bent drive belt tensioner audi a4 1.9tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I just followed your instructions and avoided a morning of swearing and skinned knuckles.
    Thanks a lot.
    M

0 0 0

8. Re: bent drive belt tensioner audi a4 1.9tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a cutout on the viscous fan pulley that you withdraw the alternator bolt closest to the engine into. You can lock the pulley with a 10mm drive torx t10 inserted from the rear. Pig of a job with the lock carrier in place well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomoliver View Post
    Right, its been a while since I opened this thread but Id like to say thankyou for your inputs! They helped me alot more than the dammed haynes manual that I purchased!

I managed (with a great deal of difficulty) to replace the tensioner without shifting the lock carrier forward

I struggled to get the alternator off as one of the bolts that held it on was blocked to come all the way out by the fan! After about an hour of cursing whacking and wobbling i managed to move the bushes enough to get that bolt out and the alternator off.

My next hurdle was getting the viscous fan off!

Many thanks for this crucial advice Frank, without it I would have knackered the fan pulley! I tried numerous times to get a good hold on the pulley using a rubber bike inner tube and a G-Clamp to no avail. Eventually I went to Halfords and got a Oil Filter removal tool and used it in conjunction with the inner tube. Voila - the fan came off in seconds! I returned this tool right back to halfords after I was finnished

replacing the tensioner was a breeze and then with an extra pair of hands putting the new belt on wasn't 'too' much of a struggle either.

All in all very rewarding job!

Thanks again.

0 0 0

9. Re: bent drive belt tensioner audi a4 1.9tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I use a water pump wrench to hold the viscous fan hub, 8mm Allen key and breaker bar and a 16mm socket for the tensioner. Can do the job in under 20 minutes which includes 2-3 phone calls and a tea brake ! Putting a new belt on takes longer...

0 0 0