Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Passat CV Gaiter...MOT Fail, ABS Sensor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Passat CV Gaiter...MOT Fail, ABS Sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just had my 2003 1.9TDi Passat fail it's MOT for a gaiter/boot (I think!) and they now tell me at the garage that they can't change it without probably having to replace the ABS sensor as well. I've been told that this sounds like utter rubbish but just wondered if anyone could confirm if this sounds likely please?

Many thanks :-)

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat CV Gaiter...MOT Fail, ABS Sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If they're telling you this before they start the job then they must be in the habit
    of breaking the abs sensor. It is possible, but not probable.

Regards
    Jim
    Still Crazy After All These Gears

0 0 0

3. Re: Passat CV Gaiter...MOT Fail, ABS Sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had my CV gaiters replaced in the past and my garage managed not to damage anything else in the process.

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat CV Gaiter...MOT Fail, ABS Sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds a bit far fetched , but they must be heavy handed garage !!!

How many miles has the car done and do you do loads of motorway miles or about town. The reason I ask this is the joint may already be on the way out . I had to do mine recently and I know the joint is on its way out as I can here a clonking on lock, so I did it myself with a Bailcast split CV and was quite impressed how well it glued together.

http://www.bailcast.com/products/uni...oove-seam-300g

I know they are not as good as the real thing, but if done well they will probably outlast the CV joint .

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The abs sensor should come out to do the job. However I couldn't get mine out when I replaced my cv gaitors with proper ones, not the glue together ones. But still managed to complete the job without breaking / removing abs sensors.

0 0 0

6. Re: Passat CV Gaiter...MOT Fail, ABS Sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincs Vagcom View Post
    The abs sensor should come out to do the job. However I couldn't get mine out when I replaced my cv gaitors with proper ones, not the glue together ones. But still managed to complete the job without breaking / removing abs sensors.
    I agree. I replaced a wheel bearing and replaced the gaiter at the same time. I just made sure that everything was well supported using bungee cords. I remember reading a thread about this before where someone had left there car in to get a bearing replaced and then ABS started to give trouble. The garage firstly denied all but after some advice from the forum the guy went back and the garage eventually fixed the ABS after they admited it was there fault.

0 0 0

7. Re: Passat CV Gaiter...MOT Fail, ABS Sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is no need to go near the ABS sensor to replace the CV boots/Gaiters. You can unbolt the half shaft at the gearbox, remove the centre bolt from the wheel and you should have enough room to wiggle out the whole shaft. If not remove the rear lower control arm and this should give you the extra space you need.

Any garage quoting an ABS sensor into a job to do a CV boot is taking you for a ride.

0 0 0

8. Re: Passat CV Gaiter...MOT Fail, ABS Sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many thanks for all responses, pretty much what I thought.

To cut a long story short. I decided to take the car away from them to another local garage and they were pretty insistent I didn't do so (I see now why) They said they'd have another careful look at the sensor and see if they could do the job without having to replace it.

They took another look and guess what? They damaged the sensor. They said they'd do me a good deal and charge parts only. I still wasn't happy but the bill had come down a fair whack so I thought I'd give them a chance.

The car was re-tested on MOT and I collected today. Brakes are now pretty useless, pedal goes right to the floor and there isn't even enough braking power to test if the ABS is working!

I didn't know enough about the ABS sensor to argue in the first place and I'm not a mechanic by any means. From what I'm told here and elsewhere it would appear that they have taken the mickey but I'm just not sure how to go about proving this. They claim the ABS sensor was caked in road muck and this is why it got damaged.

In answer to above question. Only used on A/B roads (we have no motorways!) car has done 81k

I'm really concerned that they let the car go without properly testing the brakes first. I appreciate that an MOT re-test only checks the sections that were failed on but surely they should have told them the sensor had been replaced? As I say, I'm no mechanic but how on earth can changing a sensor affect the brakes in this way, it seems to indicate air in the system.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can't see road muck being the issue here. The abs worked ok before hand didn't it? My passat's done 130k and still on original abs sensors. Why not whip the wheel off where the sensor was changed to prove a new sensor was fitted. Plus if brake pedal goes to floor I would think that's an mot failure! You can appeal against an mot service. Type appeal against mot into google.

0 0 0

10. Re: Passat CV Gaiter...MOT Fail, ABS Sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When your changing a split gaiter there will be a fair amount of muck (grease and dirt)
    around the hub, brake-disc and even the abs sensor, but its not sulfuric acid and can
    (and should) be cleaned quite easily from all the components.

Its possible that your brake pads and discs have become contaminated with grease,
    although the pedal going to floor would point to a more serious fault in the system.

Regards
    Jim
    Still Crazy After All These Gears

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast